Viability of 2 LR Spartans

SevenPlagues

Hi all,

I'm just recently getting in to 30k, and am going to be playing with two other mates from my regular 40k group. One will be taking a Fellblade, and the other Horus Lupercal as their LOWs. Would it be viable to take 2 LR Spartans (with Flare Shields/Ceramite) as a pseudo-LOW choice of my own? I'd be expending just a few points shy of 700 points for the two. Are Spartans really good enough to be the shot-tanking, anti-tank damage dealing monstrosities of my own? I'm worried about their absence of the buffs to Superheavy vehicles.

I was contemplating playing IF and putting big Siege Breaker squads with Apothecaries in them too. If not that, then certainly 20-man tactical squads. Too many eggs in one basket? I know I'll need to shoot Horus to death and can't match him in combat, and the Fellblade will be raining brutal firepower down on my Power Armoured Marines. All that aside, my main point of posting this thread is to get the community's thoughts on taking dual, heavily-upgraded Land Raider Spartans, and their ability to fight versus 'actual' superheavies - like a Fellblade - with their Quad Lascannons.

Apologies for the ambiguity! It's not a minor quibble as I mean the latter, the Spartan Assault Tank! That does make quite a bit of difference. I thought it was called a "Land Raider Spartan", but in re-checking, you're of course right. I mean the 25-man, Quad-Lascannon-toting beast.

Apologies for the ambiguity! It's not a minor quibble as I mean the latter, the Spartan Assault Tank! That does make quite a bit of difference. I thought it was called a "Land Raider Spartan", but in re-checking, you're of course right. I mean the 25-man, Quad-Lascannon-toting beast.

In which case, my favorite tactic I've seen recommended is two Spartans, two squads of 20 Despoiler Marines, with Apothecaries and Chaplains. 

In which case, my favorite tactic I've seen recommended is two Spartans, two squads of 20 Despoiler Marines, with Apothecaries and Chaplains. 

Your Welcome for that :p

Goes especially well together with the World Eaters Legion Rules.

Your Welcome for that :p

Goes especially well together with the World Eaters Legion Rules.

Murderface 3000!!! Doooo it!

+100 interwebs if you add a third Spartan with another squad of power-armoured madmen.

I dont have enough money to make it a reality D:

Haha I know Slip, but if I bring it up enough, eventually someone will fight the Long War on their wallet to bring Murderface to life.

But do you think it is too risky, in terms of their durability, to sink that many points in two of them? What are your views about Flare Shields and Ceramite Plating? If I'm doubling down on the Spartan, should I pour another 100ish points into upgrading them?

Also, I'm thinking of putting at least one large squad of Terminators in one of them. Otherwise I'd considered putting two 20-man Tacticals with Apothecaries in them.

If you cant field a spartan without flare shields and armored ceramite, I personally wouldnt field them at all since theyd just be a 40k land raider with a bit more atuff tacked on; not the beasts they are with the upgrades.

Id also unconditionaly give armored ceramite to anything that can take it. The immunity to melta on very expensive vehicles is pretty much always worth the 20 points you pay for it.

Okay, so the upgrades are in. What about Quad-Lascannons vs Laser Destroyers? I prefer the former as you get two shots, and that should help against tough non-superheavies, and still give a reasonable (although slightly more rare) chance to get Explodes results when shooting at a superheavy.

Yeah Lasdestroyers are meh since the Ordnance Rule on them will make any additional weapons snap fire. It also has a Shorter range (iirc) and, as you said, less shots for marginal benefits at best.

Laser Destroyers on anything but the Rapiers can stuff it, double shots is infinitely better than a slight D6 bonus. And helps out with nightmare monsters like Thanatar, Vulkan etc. when the chance arrives.

Archived