Orbital Assault vs Pride of the Legion

AekoldHelbrass

Anyone can share an experience fighting Pride of the Legion without having access to tanks and plasma-heavy-support?

My "most destructive" unit of 9 plasma guns inflicted only 6 wounds, obviously died the next turn, allied Castellax with darkfires inflicted some more, but all of that was merely scratches for enemy terminator hordes. What else should I try? Veterans with power axes? Drop-poding plasma cannons?

Sounds like the dice screwed you. You should have had more wounds than 9 unless you were at long range. I normally tear terminators apart with my plasma squad and it only has 5 or 6 guys. I normally fight 40k armies so storm shield termies are pretty common for me to see and its pretty common for people to raise their eye brows at the "broken" plasma squad.

The close in fight is where you should be shining, they are only T4 despite their save. Oh and if they are running Cataphracts, do remember they are slow. Go for his vehicles as well because if he has hordes of termies, he probably doesn't have a lot else.

Sounds like the dice screwed you. You should have had more wounds than 9 unless you were at long range. I normally tear terminators apart with my plasma squad and it only has 5 or 6 guys. I normally fight 40k armies so storm shield termies are pretty common for me to see and its pretty common for people to raise their eye brows at the "broken" plasma squad.

The close in fight is where you should be shining, they are only T4 despite their save. Oh and if they are running Cataphracts, do remember they are slow. Go for his vehicles as well because if he has hordes of termies, he probably doesn't have a lot else.

10-man plasma squad gives 20 shots, 14 hits, 11 wounds, having 6 dead after 4++ is not so bad actually. No idea how you're rolling your dice, but I haven't learned to roll it like that :)

By close-in fight, what do you mean? Close combat, or shooting at close range?

Ahh ok, I read it as 6 wounds before saves. Don't know why I was thinking that. The key to killing one wound terminators is to pour on the fire, make them make saves, they will fail them one by one. I wiped an entire squad of termies in one round of fire with a support squad of flamethrower guys who I added just to use an extra 100 points I had lying around. I was impressed. They still got their 2+ save but when you make them roll  15 times, they are going to roll some ones, in this case he rolled 5.

Volkites are superb for this. Your night lords, we have easy access to Terror squads who have access to chargers, and if we use our RoW, we still get mass drop pods.

• 1 month later...

Orbital Assault should be relying on flyers to give you your tank roles. It is reasonably difficult and not cost effective to try and cover all aspects using infantry because you have to deliver them somehow, normally via Drop Pods or other vehicles which are not normally good at doing much else unless they are pricey (Storm Eagles and Assault Rams). Fire Raptors are IMO invaluable in an Orbital Assault list, the sheer volume of fire they can lend to the field splitting it amongst four different targets.

Xerxes Lightnings can also be a god send to take down some fo the heavier pieces of armour which you might face as well, just be aware of how fragile the Lightning is and use it as if you wont get another turn.

Ironhand support squad with grav guns is death to teq due to the cheap upgrade and ap2

they get the 30k graviton guns not the 40k grav-guns so that support squad effectively get heavy, s-test to wound, blast with haywire

Also not AP2

Plasma really is your best bet. Are you remembering to keep them inside their pods? 30k ones don't kick you out.

What type units of PotL list do you face mostly? Can't all be terminators. It would help to know the general units in a list you face for more in-depth advice.

Plasma really is your best bet. Are you remembering to keep them inside their pods? 30k ones don't kick you out.

What type units of PotL list do you face mostly? Can't all be terminators. It would help to know the general units in a list you face for more in-depth advice.

I'm having troubles mostly with terminators. With Orbital Assault I'm not afraid of Medusa tanks, Iron Havocs are still haven't impressed me even as a worthy target, but my biggest damage dealers in form of plasma support costs 355pts and can kill only 6 Cataphractii out of 25-35 I'm facing depending on game size. I will try seekers with combi-plasma as well, that should wipe out 10 of them, but the price to field those seekers will be the same as those 10 Cataphractii they are supposed to kill, and even 1 survivor will be a trouble if he charges.

And generate difficult terrain. Imo for the price of the upgrade from flamers they are very effective if points are tight

Remember that they're heavy weapons, though, even the hand-held ones. That's going to be a problem the turn they arrive on the board, isn't it? (Not sarcasm, I'm really asking that in case I missed a rule regarding drop pods.)

Remember that they're heavy weapons, though, even the hand-held ones. That's going to be a problem the turn they arrive on the board, isn't it? (Not sarcasm, I'm really asking that in case I missed a rule regarding drop pods.)

Guys, I cannot understand what in Khorne's name are you discussing? Options for Tactical Support squad include Rotor cannon, Volkites, plasma gun and meltagun. That's it. No gravity things for them at all. And even if they had access to gravitons, they are twice less effective (standing still) than tempest bolt shells for Seekers, because they're wounding on 5+ but not rapid fire. And even leaving dangerous terrain markers there makes almost no difference.

Guys, I cannot understand what in Khorne's name are you discussing? Options for Tactical Support squad include Rotor cannon, Volkites, plasma gun and meltagun. That's it. No gravity things for them at all. And even if they had access to gravitons, they are twice less effective (standing still) than tempest bolt shells for Seekers, because they're wounding on 5+ but not rapid fire. And even leaving dangerous terrain markers there makes almost no difference.

Iron Hands can replace any flamers with grav guns (of the 30k variety) - not sure on the precise wording as it might only be the Support Squads that can do this.

Only infantry with the IH RoW. So you can't use orbital if you want graviton gun support squads

I'd suggest keeping to the regular flamer support squad.  If you can put the templates over 4 terminators you should force enough save to kill 3-4 of a squad and if he wants to charge you it's the half as good again with the overwatch.  Plus they are dirt cheap. @210 for a 10 man with pod.

Again the problem (IMO) everyone is going for is that you are trying to compete infantry vs infantry... min sized squads vs a Pride of the Legion is going to struggle going toe to toe with Terminators and Veterans. Use air support which is the half the aspect of an Orbital Assault list. 99% of the time a PoL list will comprise of terminators and their transports with some supporting squads, VERY rarely will they have significant anti air let alone their own air support.

The moment you gain air superiority you will have a significant advatange, utilise the aircraft to target the tougher units like AV13-14 and 2+ infantry, use your drop podding units as mop up and objective grabbing not full on assault units which they cannot hope to survive. Play defensively with the infantry units; if they are ranged, keep them in the Drop Pods and use them as bunkers to fire out from, if they are Close Combat geared make sure you position them nicely and, again, keep them ready and assault when you are assured of a win after your support has softened the target up.

Unfortuantely Orbital Assault and Angels Wrath are actually quite expensive lists to play, not just in points but in $$, flyers are expensive but, again IMO, are essential for these lists to be versatile enough to compete against a range of list including min maxed PoLs.

Seekers in a pod will kill 8.5 Terminators and end up cheaper than a plasma support squad. Then should any survive they still have Preferred Enemy against them. Also don't forget to stay inside the drop pod. You can also attach a Vigilator with a Nanyte Blaster.

Are the Terminators mostly on foot? If so you can easily kite them with flyers or drop phosphex bombs on them from Lightnings if he has no AA.

Archived