Lucumon's Blood Angels Task Force

Lucumon

• 4 weeks later...

The process is similar to the gold I did a while back (here). The basic idea:

1. Prime black with an airbrush

2. Airbrush a dark grey from the sides

3. Airbrush a dark-ish (but not as dark as the previous step) grey from the top

4. Use the airbrush to spot highlight areas (such as the center of the breastplate, top of the thigh armor, or fingers with a grey

5. Light dry-brush with the same grey

6. Highlight the top edges with a grey-blue around the same lightness as the grey in step 5.

7. After painting the details, dip in Army Painter Quickshade Dark Tone

Here is a comparison of my Death Company over time with one done 10 (ish?) years ago on the left with wet blending, the middle one a really lazy job, and the one on the right painted with the process above. I have 10 more DC in the queue, I can put together a step by step if you want.

gallery_22439_838_1798545.jpg

Also, I've picked up a new phone that makes details and colors 'pop' better... so going forward I will use the newer one. For example, here's last night's completion:

gallery_22439_838_1020767.jpg

Lastly, I've gotten in a few games against Dark Angels and Tau. I feel bad for Tau because the battles usually end like the following pic... the hero of that match was the little suicidal librarian that charged 5 units after casting Wings of Sanguinius with Angel's Wing... thereby denying the whole "everyone shoots overwatch" thing Tau have. I cant wait to see their new codex.

gallery_22439_10697_53302.jpg

The other matches have been interesting... here are some thoughts on Dark Angels:

1. The +1 damage to plasma weapons strategem is nasty if you arent paying attention

2. One of the DA fliers can put a lot of mortal wounds on your Death Company. Kill it before it can drop a bomb on your DC

3. Ravenwing are so so sweet with their mobility and firepower... so either get first turn or betastrike with all the death company

Upcoming: The most frustrating model to see the 40k tabletop

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've just completed one of the most difficult models to assemble... ever: the Fire Raptor. Even after a massive amount of green stuff and a base coat, I had to do even more green-stuffing and it was looking like this:

gallery_22439_1100_140549.jpg

I used Vallejo's German Red Brown surface primer instead of the normal black... I think I will continue to use this in the future supplemented by white to help raise highlights.

The model is currently as follows... I thought I'd be more excited but the model was so frustrating to assemble with the warpage requiring a heat gun, the sanding, gaps, etc. The model was also rather bland and un-inspiring.... anyway, it turned out as follows:

gallery_22439_838_1528988.jpg

I have some more weathering to do to make it look likes it been flying & fighting. Additionally, there are areas, like the sponson gun balls, that need some further sanding & repainting. Its not really visible here, but where the components came together on the sponson... 'ball', it is not flush and requires more greenstuff. Luckily, those are easily removable because they are held in by magnets.

But, this weekend, I get to surprise a buddy who plays space wolves... he will not be expecting this.

I've also started this guy, my first attempt at NMM... and first time without an airbrush since 2015. This took me a couple hours and I'm realizing I need a lot more practice before I can paint using a loaded brush and get that high quality NMM look... well, practice makes perfect!

gallery_22439_1100_1069351.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

what's NMM?

Yeah, Non-Metal Metal. Here's how this most recent Sanguinor turned out:

gallery_22439_838_1504244.jpg

The NMM technique takes forever and I have a ways to go before the quality gets better.

Next up:

1. 8x Death Company... unless something shiney distracts me

2. A "Red" analysis... I picked up a bunch of different reds as the GW Air stuff is hella annoying to get into an airbrush... plus, I want to try this NMM technique out on a red to see if I can get better results.

gallery_22439_1100_1411692.jpg

Love your work!

I tried to nmm sanguinor back in 5th.... it did not go so well and hes sitting half finished on my shelf of shame right now!

Probably something I should revisit in the future!

Did you do much research before attempting this technique? Or was it a trial and error thing?

Lol - that looks a lot like my test collection of reds too - spent about $40 on different vallejo shades before going with GW for main colours anyway :-)

I still use vallejo german red-brown to both prime and 'shade'; then mephiston red from top/45 degrees. 

The GW Air pots *suck* - but $2.50 for 6 empty dropper bottles fixed that for the main airbrush colours (mephiston red, black, dawnstone (for bases)...).

Droppers

Interested to hear how you find them for mix too - I've ended up mixing a decent amount of thinner even for the Air range (maybe ~25% thinner) to keep it very liquid. 

• 4 weeks later...

Love your work!

I tried to nmm sanguinor back in 5th.... it did not go so well and hes sitting half finished on my shelf of shame right now!

Probably something I should revisit in the future!

Did you do much research before attempting this technique? Or was it a trial and error thing?

Thanks! I'm always learning.

I did a fair amount of web surfing/ video watching and eventually settled on this page as my 'guide': http://razzaminipainting.blogspot.com/2016/07/non-metallic-metals.html?m=1

I may try again in the future... but it takes so long and my technique isnt as good as an airbrush.

Speaking of airbrushes, I picked up a couple new ones:

gallery_22439_1100_151802.jpg

Fun fact: Badger air hoses don't fit on Master compressors. So I had to pull something in from the garage for a <small> upgrade:

gallery_22439_1100_169139.jpg

The Sotar is so precise, it lets me do things like use the airbrush for the roof of this terrain:

gallery_22439_1100_313229.jpg

Lol - that looks a lot like my test collection of reds too - spent about $40 on different vallejo shades before going with GW for main colours anyway :-)

I still use vallejo german red-brown to both prime and 'shade'; then mephiston red from top/45 degrees.

The GW Air pots *suck* - but $2.50 for 6 empty dropper bottles fixed that for the main airbrush colours (mephiston red, black, dawnstone (for bases)...).

Interested to hear how you find them for mix too - I've ended up mixing a decent amount of thinner even for the Air range (maybe ~25% thinner) to keep it very liquid.

Funny you should mention the dropper bottle transfer... i was in the process of doing that when you posted... and I picked up the Vallejo Game Air line, so now my paints look like this:

gallery_22439_1100_1100970.jpg

The great thing about all these colors is that now I have 'recipes' for things: my bone/skull set is different than my parchment/purity seal set.

As far as my 'red' experiment, I am going to take a spin at Luthermax's tutorial: https://www.themightybrush.com/how-to-paint-blood-angels-part-i/

I finished MORE DEATHCOMPANY with these new paints and airbrushes... and a fair amount of Lahmian medium... that stuff is wonderful.

gallery_22439_838_441794.jpg

With some closeups:

gallery_22439_838_230295.jpg

gallery_22439_838_1566220.jpg

gallery_22439_838_99507.jpg

gallery_22439_838_403834.jpg

And even more scouts, because those guys are awesome:

gallery_22439_838_37342.jpg

• 2 months later...

So, it's been a while... Work has been rough and so I just finished the following models that I started in April... unfortunately too soon for ETL:

After selling my previous Commander Dante on ebay, I picked up another one to see if I could do better than last time... and I think I did:

gallery_22439_838_292701.jpg

gallery_22439_838_992842.jpg

gallery_22439_838_775597.jpg

Also, I painted up three golden bananas while I was on gold... with everything magnetized per normal:

gallery_22439_838_40656.jpg

And a close-up:

gallery_22439_838_768222.jpg

gallery_22439_838_576727.jpg

Hopefully I will have a battle report after this upcoming weekend!

• 2 weeks later...

It's too bad I was unable to vow for ETL this year in time... Because I was able to complete this guy in record time:

gallery_22439_838_228109.jpg

I tried zenithal highlighting using 3 browns and a white... Next time I think I'll only try 2 browns to increase the obviousness of the yellow transition contrast.

Also, he (she? Xi?) Isn't quite complete as I still need chipping/rust, barrel heat, engine soot, etc.

Army-wise, it's role is obvious - a fire support anchor to crack open armor and distraction to allow my assault elements to close on the enemy.

• 2 weeks later...

I got to say Lucumon, I've used your DC models as a reference point while building mine. In particular I had a model where the jump pack wouldnt fit, and I got the idea from you, to use a mark IV jump pack on it.

• 8 months later...

Well, it has been a while... I had a plan after reading "Devastation of Baal" and "Shield of Baal" of painting up more BA and ~200 Hive Fleet Leviathan Tyranids but then shiney things happened: a decent amount of commission work along with life and I'm finally back to painting BA thanks to Shadowspear. Here's some WIP shots of the Vanguard Librarian I am working on:

gallery_22439_1100_280956.jpg

gallery_22439_1100_142101.jpg

I've posted more of what I've been working on Instagram (see here: https://www.instagram.com/lucumon8339/)

More red dude-bros to follow!

Ha, the first Vanguard Libby on our sub-forum! Looks very nice. I really like your color palette. Also very neat paint job! What are you planning for the camo scheme?
I will be watching this for ideas for my own libby.

However metal color in the joints between plates looks kinda like like space suits from low budget movies where everything in space was made of tin foil :wink:

Here's the progress on the librarian after highlights and washes:

gallery_22439_1100_360027.jpg

Rather than slopping on washes as I had done in the past, I've been more reserved in it's application, used washes based on the wash color needed, and applied multiple coats so I didn't accidentally 'overwash'

What are you planning for the camo scheme?

I ordered some stencils from Fallout Hobbies... its going to be my first time trying this, but it seems easier and higher quality than doing it by hand. We will see.

Until then, some light battle damage and a BA Phobos Captain!

Archived