SoH reavers vs veterans

sedobren

So i can't decide between thees two units: one one hand i have precision shot/strikes, outflank and up to 15 models in unit, on the other i have furious charge (i play both of them as melee guys) and above all the possibility to give them apothecaries. Which one do you think is the best?

My build goes with one 20-strong assault marines and either 2 10 man veteran or reavers squads (with maloghurst)

Assault marines are so overpriced, you could just run 2x15 Reavers with Jump Packs, plus Veterans. That would be crazy cool. Of course some work is needed to make assault marines intimidating enough to count as Reavers.

I'm usually taking Veterans when I want them to tarpit the enemy after arriving from Orbital Assault, so I'm giving them Fearless. But as my plasma tactical support had never survived longer than one shooting phase - I'm thinking about dropping reavers with combi-plasmas, they will cost about the same, and will have some punch in return if anyone will try to assault them.

Seem a legit compromise! How would you set up veterans? I've read that on the shooty side they works great with ml launcher and suspensor web inside a rhino (with tank hunter), while i'm still unsure about their role in my army: shoot only (but their 2 attacks seems wasted though), i was thinking about a solution the middle like 2 suspended launchers and a power maul or power axe to come in handy if needed to charge all wrapped up in rhinos, what do you think?

That is a very hard question. I'd say it all depends on your opponents, what kind of armies are you facing, and what Rite of War are you playing. I'm still struggling to find the optimal load-out for my veterans, but as I'm using Orbital Assault - I need a first turn punch, which means that I'm giving them 1 meltagun, comib-melta for Sergeant and combi-melta for Apothecary. Last game 2 drop pods with veterans obliterated 1 Contemptor and 1 Dreadnought on turn 1. Then, as I'm facing lots of Terminators now - I'm thinking about some power axes, because my sergeant with power fist was able to kill 3 out of 5 terminators, tarpitting them for 3 phases, and that was the only AP2 weapon in the squad. So the only recommendation I can give you - experiment, ask your opponent to make your veterans "count as" having some weapons, and watch how they play, make notes, and think how you could improve their load-out or change their role for next game.

And of course melta-bombs are cheap and very effective, definitely give one to sergeant just in case. Even contemptors have very little chance of surviving it.

What do you think, on the melee side, about using maloghurst to give a 6" fearless bubble to both veterans and assault/assault reavers sqad? Is it something viable? Because if i'm not plaiyng them assaulting i'd prefer to drop him and play a praetor instead to save some points

6" bubble is usually too small for me, and his 3+ is not very reliable. When I'm playing Maloghurst, I'm trying to use his warlord trait as well. I put him to Heavy Support squad, so they are both fearless and scoring. 10 of them with Heavy4 Volkites and with Maloghurst will inflict so much pain so you'll need another apothecary because your enemy will try to destroy them as soon as possible.

PS: for the lack of model, I made a small conversion of Maloghurst using the ugliest head I had in my collection. Check it out:

http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-ZzSLS8NEGqA/VJFfG1MNXHI/AAAAAAAABos/lgtMDOKhURU/s800/handsome.jpg

Yeah i was thinking about using chaos parts as well with maloghurst! Bte i realized that at 140 pts is difficult to build a praetor so i'll keep it probably.

I really like the volkites, i intend to play them either with tactical supports or with heavy support squads (if i have a free slot in the heavy departmt, which i don't actually)

With tactical support they are very pricy and not very efective. Tactical Support will cost 225pts for 20 shots, Heavy Support will cost 335 for 40 shots.

But Maloghurt's warlord trait will be useful in pretty much any unit, if I'm not missing something in rules - you can even attach him to the squadron of rapiers and make them scoring as well.

Maloghurst is a very useful character, though placement is important because he brings some crippling penalties to close combat squads (if he's with Cataphractii Terminators these penalties mean nothing for example). You also have to understand though that he is a support character and will probably lose most challenges due to having poor stats and being poorly equipped compared to a basic Praetor.

Sons of Horus seem to be slanted towards having fairly elite basic troops considering there are multiple ways to swap Reavers, Veterans and Justaerins into the Troops slot. This is at odds with their rules however which encourage the legion to use large, cheap squads to get the extra attacks. This fundamental lack of synergy disturbs me when I consider making army lists for the legion, but I'm still interested to see what people can generate with them!

At first i was about to go full sons of horus and use the black reaving rite of war, playing 2 jumpacked reavers sqads at full complement, 2 jetibikes squadrons with 6 motos and one with three but then i decided against sinkibg 300£ for just 15 ugly flying bikes. Anyway i am going to proxy it sometimes in the future

Archived