Carcharodon Predation fleet Mako: Image repair 2-9-17

airinhere

ETL vow #3 completed!

Adding Terminator armor units, Las Cannon Devastators and Veteran Warriors to Predation Fleet Mako.

Nine Terminator Suits added to existing Predation Fleet resources.  Suits and additional materials found during Pacification of Tranquility System.   Crux Terminatus were delivered to High Lords of Terra administratum Hereticus investigation pending decision for Mantis Warrior Chapter Excommunication.  In accordance with Carcharodon tradition, pauldrons replaced and marked with Tribal  patterns and Shark Insignia.  One Crux terminatus Reassigned from Mantis Warrior Chapter added to squad leader pauldron to respect Machine Spirit.

Even the fresh suits added to the chapter often are annointed with blood.  It is the Grace of the Emperor that provides much needed armor to keep the Fleet strong.

Soon after earning the power armor of full Marine status, brothers are assigned to the instruction of a veteran warrior and carry powerful heavy weapon systems to battle.  The light colored armor of newly added brothers shows starkly against the stained dark patina of the heavy weapon systems and Back mounted power supplies used by these Devastator Marines.   In the background, "Meatshield McGee" can be seen eager to leap to the defense of his new brothers.  An impressive regenerative ability keeps him permanently added to the Devastator squad.

Veteran Sergeants help guide new Carcharodon brothers to learn the ways of war as only a Marine brother can.  Advanced targting systems allow these Las Cannons an improved chance to strike their target true.

Veteran warrior Brothers sometimes are born of ancient geneseed that has unknown provenance.  Only the Emperor can know the true sire of each marine after so many thousands of years.  What is known, despite the physical differences of some veteran brothers, is that there is an unswerving loyalty and dignity driving the heart of each veteran brother.  Intense physical and Psychic screening is regularly performed on all brothers to ward against the incursion of Chaos or the Horror of mutation.

Battle honors of defeated foes serve as a rally point for many of the veterans of the fleet.  Inspiring and reminding all who see it of their grave duty.  

A hand collected from a hideous Xenos found aboard an abandonded Wreck floating in deep space  hangs on the shoulder of the sole survivor of a doomed effor tto liberate ancient secrets from its depths.  A single brother escaped unscathed from the horror of physical corruption.  Never again shall fleet resources fail to ward against such horrors.

Chainswords have long proved a favored weapon of the Carcharodon brothers.  Usefull both in battle and for recovering heads and other trophies of powerful foes.  One such blue skinned race bore great armored robots that hid humanoid Xenos inside.  An aged one led them and his freshly removed head dangles from a Veteran brothers shoulder to remind all of the everchanging face of their enemy.

Edited by airinhere

I am entering a fourth ETL vow to complete my army of Carcharodon Astra. Twenty Scouts and two Devastator teams that will finally put paint to every existing Carcharodon model I have.  It feels good to come so near to finishing my army after over a year of hard work.

The Dev Marines are pretty bog-standard Plasma Cannons and Heavy Bolters to add to a Skyhammer Annihilation Force.  I will paint them in the camo pattern I used for some of my Jump pack marines to show their first strike role in the chapter.  The scouts are a mixture of Chaos Marauder parts, Scouts from my bitz box and a bunch of other random stuff I found.  I plan to paint a few to reflect the mixed geneseed that was collected over the last ten thousand years.  I thought the Barbaric look and heavy muscles of the Marauders fit in nicely with the aesthetic of the Carcharodons and their brutal habits and way of warfare.

Edited by airinhere

Thanks to the magical effects of Redbull, I found a burst of inspiration this afternoon after I got home from work to start my final ETL vow.  I prepped my airbrush and laid down a base yellow on the Devastators and a light base and wash on the Scouts.  Someday I might learn to use it for more than basecoats, but I am going to need to learn to use flow improver and work around the tip clogging so often.  The ability to shade gently with the airbrush does appeal to me.

Anyways, For my ETL vow, I offer some initial shots of my models.

Camo pattern will be applied to these Devastator Marines as their role is to drop pod in as part of a Skyhammer Annihilation Force.  Plasma Cannons and Heavy Bolter serve both to Kill enemies and to pin them down and prevent the enemy from being able to defend themselves from the lightning fast attack of the Assault brothers.  Combined with the Vanguard Veterans and Scouts acting as a Shadowstrike Kill Team.  Together these two shock attack teams work to cripple the enemy before any resistance can even be offered.

Scout teams serve as part of a Shadowstrike Kill Team and are inserted deep behind enemy lines.  Bolter, shotgun and close combat weapons support the existing sniper rifle teams serving with Predation Fleet Mako.  Each eager to prove their worth in battle and earn the status of Battle Brother and be rewarded with a suit of Powered Armor.

Carcharodon Scouts embrace their own fearsome aspect and the unknown geneseed grafted into their bodies.  Their appearance sometimes differs wildly from the normal pale skin and dark hair, but their souls are forged in the same furnace deep within their Battleships so far away from Civilization.  Ever vigilant for the taint of Chaos, or the filth of Mutation, each Scout grows and is watched carefully as they serve both as living incubators for geneseed and as brutal warriors dropping from the dark skies and bringing the Salvation of Humanity with them.

Edited by airinhere

airinhere, I thought you might find this interesting. It looks like GW came up with the same idea as you with the "different greys".

42) Is there any kind of reoccurring theme to their armour or tactics we could incorporate into our models?The greys on their armour vary a lot in shade, and they’re fond of chain axes. They also use exile markings on their armour to record various things – just look up ta moko.

It's from the author of the upcoming Black Library Carcharodons novel: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/320183-black-library-carcharodons-novel/page-4

Edited by Tyberos the Red Wake

I have a second smaller thread in the RavenGuard subforum showcasing my completed models and a bit about my ETL vows this year.  Last week the author of the new Carcharodon book stopped by and said hello.

#22 http://bolterandchainsword.com//public/style_images/carbon_red/icon_share.png
http://bolterandchainsword.com//public/style_images/carbon_red/post_offline.png RobMac
Posted 05 July 2016 - 07:28 PM

I think he is more aware of the debate about geneseeed and history of the Carcharodons than most fans would expect.  He also has joined our faceboook group and seems to be a pretty nice fellow.  He even put together a huge FAQ for the upcoming book.

Edited by airinhere

I have a second smaller thread in the RavenGuard subforum showcasing my completed models and a bit about my ETL vows this year. Last week the author of the new Carcharodon book stopped by and said hello.

#22 http://bolterandchainsword.com//public/style_images/carbon_red/icon_share.png

http://bolterandchainsword.com//public/style_images/carbon_red/post_offline.pngRobMac

Posted 05 July 2016 - 07:28 PM

Amazing stuff! My novel Carcharodons: Red Tithe is coming out with Black Library in January. I dropped by here a few times to keep my spirits up when slogging through the initial drafts and edits!

I think he is more aware of the debate about geneseeed and history of the Carcharodons than most fans would expect. He also has joined our faceboook group and seems to be a pretty nice fellow. He even put together a huge FAQ for the upcoming book.

That's awesome man! How cool is it that a BL author takes inspiration from your work (among others)?!

I was very flattered when RobMac posted to my thread.  He has made a good push recently getting fans of the Carcharodon excited for his upcoming book, and I am eager for its release.  He has even hinted that good sales would lead to additional books.  And he apparently has already done some amount of planning for the potential books.  Even commenting about voidcraft warfare featuring heavily in one of the plannned books.  

Fingers crossed!

As for my current ETL vow, I have made good progress.  Both Devastator squads are now completed and I am starting to put color onto my Scouts.  The nice part is the Devastators and some of my Jump pack marines from ETL vow #2 are in matching camo to show their role as a Skyhammer Annihilation Force.

Plasma Cannons are popular with Carcharodon and these brothers initial deployment via Drop Pods turns their focus towards any fast moving troops/bikes or light armor.  The chance to pin enemies on round one who would otherwise move quickly across the battlefield denies the enemy mobility and can even result in an entire unit removed in turn one.  Surviving enemies might find an Assault team appearing suddenly to mop up any survivors of the Plasma cannon attack.

813357_md-.JPG

Heavy Bolter Squad.  This team is required to target the largest enemy in range and rely on the Skyhammer special rules for Suppresive Fusilade.  Forcing enemy to lose their overwatch, or even forcing them to go to ground.  Whoever these Brothers target finds an Assault team quickly appearing to deliver a killing blow.  After the first round, these brothers turn their weapons on another powerful unit that can be forced to go to ground again.

813358_md-.JPG

Skyhammer Annihilation force Devastator elements.  I have leaned toward a minimal point value force and to use them for their special rules.  

813361_md-.JPG

Plasma Cannons are known to overheat and help new Brothers learn the value of maintaining the Machine Spirit of their wargear.

Plasma Technology relies on complex maintenance rituals.  Over the Millenia, each system has been modified and repaired untill each system is slightly different than the others held in the Fleet armory.

Heavy Bolters can be used for exciting point blank firing into crowds.  The resulting sprayback of blood can make targeting difficult, but have faith in the Emperor and he shall guide your hands.

Camo Pattern designated for Carcharodon Astra Skyhammer Annihilation Force.  Beachhead insertion team estimated to suffer 60% casualties.  Use of Camo patterns increase survivability to 60%.  Allow the terror of your enemies to bolster your hand in Assault. 

Scout elements recieving Tribal tattoo markings.  Carcharodon scouts are recruited from the captured men of conqured worlds.  After suitable indoctrination, the brothers ferocity is rewarded with tribal tattoos that speak of the brothers brutality in combat.

814793_md-.JPG

Yikes!  I missed a bunch of mould lines.  Time to clean those bad boys up!

Edited by airinhere

I toned down the bright blue skin with a wash of gryphonne sepia and they took on a nice, grey skin tone.  I need to highlight, but I am much happier with the skin color.  A second, contrasting color of tattoos will be added first.  And, yes, these were made from Chaos Maruaders and Scout bits mixed liberally together.  They should look nothing like the gentleman warriors of the Ultramarines.  These are brutal, techno barbarian warriors earning the right to become Carcharodon Astra.  

And about the quote, I think it is both "exciting point blank firing" and also would be 'exacting point blank firing'.  You certainly do not want to miss if the enemy is closing to assault, and I think it would be rather exciting with blood and entrails being sprayed back onto you as the enemy draws near.  (Exploding Heavy Bolter rounds would make one horrific mess to anyone downwind).

I started playing with the skin tones and some blocked out base colors for my Scouts.

Kitbashed Scouts using Chaos Marauder and Scout parts.

med_gallery_82234_11903_331878.jpg

Tattoos will feature on many of the Scouts.

med_gallery_82234_11903_123706.jpg

GAH! Still a few mould lines that got past me.....

med_gallery_82234_11903_117588.jpg

I look forward to adding a splash of red for the bolt pistol housing and the chainsword. These guys could all use a little color!

med_gallery_82234_11903_267294.jpg

I am almost ready to say I kinda liked the blue skin (I thought it looked kinda silly) Maybe I can redo that, but with a more subtle tone of blue.

med_gallery_82234_11903_19404.jpg

Lots of detail stuff to do still. Gold and silver bits all over these models that scream for anything of color to help them stand out. Line highlights on any armor or holsters and pouches will add a bit of form for these guys. A reasonable splash of bloodiness after everything will help demonstrate the ferocity of these Scouts.

Carcharodon Scout elements are drawn from the strongest sons of a thousand brutally conquered worlds.  Each Scout has begun the surgical process of being changed into a superhuman killer and the deliberate hypno-indoctrination has formed deep loyalties to the Carcharodon Astra.  What does remain from their original lives is often a reverence for superstitious traditions passed down to them as children.  Stories about fearsome monsters that would punish them if they were bad, or jolly men who bring gifts to those who behave.  Sometimes odd rituals celebrating the change to adulthood would remain deeply buried in the Scouts psyche.

This has led to some odd rituals such as keeping of teeth to exchange in Chapter rituals celebrating a 'toothed fairy' and the formal use of flatware during all meals.  Improper use of a fork or spoon is seen as the height of embarassment.  Dinner with the Carcharodon can be quite the unexpectedly delightful event!  As the Scouts draw closer to completing their transformation to full Marine, they undergo several deeply significant rituals as their minds are prepared for their final indoctrinations.  

814792_md-.JPG

Scouts number in the thousands on the Carcharodon voidcraft.  Their geneseed growing and maturing as their bodies are surgically changed.  Hypno Indoctrination is done on a mass scale and much of the Scouts daily life revolves around discussing the nuances of their regimented viewing materials.  Only a small percentage of Marine applicants make it through the Scout ranks to become full Brothers, but every Scout is equally trained until their untimely deaths.

Scout forces are deployed to many worlds far in advance of the Predation Fleet.  Only the most advanced and highly trained Scouts are selected for such difficult missions.  Often this is a final test before the Scout is elevated to full Marine status.  The ability to think independently and follow orders under such difficult situations is a crucial test of the potential Marines true character.

Bloody is the day the Scout forces are unleashed upon the enemies of mankind.  Ferocious rage and horrifying precision are the hallmark of the Scout.  Fielded in large teams deployed well in advance of any formal invasion or conflict, Scouts ensure the viability of landing zones and dropsites.  As a campaign proceeds, they are used as line troops to good effect and brutal assault charges are a favorite tactic.

I still have to hit a bit of clean up work on these guys, and then their bases, but I am nearing the end of another ETL vow.  I am enjoying such different models to paint.  I had gotten used to focusing on Power armored troops.  Faces are proving to be a frightful challenge for me.

Edited by airinhere

ETl vow #4 completed!

Working on the camo pattern marines went smoothly, but I have much learning ahead of me when I start painting my Inquisitor army, Skaven 40K force and Tyranid horde.  These Scouts wer a whole new experience.  I will have to try and get some flesh wash and paints specifically to do skin tones when I go home this Summer.

I used scout legs, for almost every model.  However, a wide range of heads from various scout kits and chaos marauder heads were used along with torsos from chaos marauder kits.  Many arms are from chaos marine kits.

I resisted the urge to blood splatter everyone, but I did allow myself a little indulgence with one particular chainsword wielding Scout.

I wanted these guys to look bloody and bruised.  Their bodies struggle to survive the transformation into Astartes.

I ended up with 22 Scouts to infiltrate ahead of my main Carcharodon forces.  

These newly painted Scouts join my 24 existing Sniper Scouts.  Supported here by a Venerable Dreadnought and Sternguard forces

814795_md-.JPG

Edited by airinhere

• 4 weeks later...

This week I recieved my order of Mark 3 and Mark 5 power armored marines.  Carcharodon have roamed deep space since the time of the Heresy and clearly have many suits of ancient record in their armories.  Prior to the Badab incident, Carcharodon were often regarded to wear a mixture of suit styles that were cobbled together by their chapter techmarines.  These aged suits were well worn and showed their great age and constant use in combat.

After the Tranquility Campaign, the Carcharodon took huge stores of wargear and manpower from the Mantis Warriors.  The appearance of Manta Ray emblems on much of the newly taken wargear is an attempt to placate the machine spirits of the Mantis chapter wargear.  Originally misunderstood to be the Manta Warrior chapter, many Carcharodon still pronounce the chapter as Manta and the appearance of the Manta Ray insignia has become commonplace.

New suits were taken by many Carcharodon after the Tranquility Campaign and brothers of Predation Fleet Mako have been blessed to recieve many suits for their Brother Marines.  However, many chose to remain in their trusted suits dating back thousands of years. Of the Fleet Brothers, nearly half chose to keep their older mark armor in use.

Shoulderpads are on the way from Shapeways so please excuse the missing right shoulderpads.

I am attempting to use salt and hairspray weathering to make these suits look worn and heavily used.  I even plan to apply a little oil based acrylic for weathering.  I fear the Dettol bath might see these brothers before I am finished with them.....

I applied a base of reddish brown I had mixed up for my Tyranids.  To give the weathering depth, I added a touch of bronze to each model then hairspray, salt and a nice coat of grey I mixed up for my remaining brothers.  I had to wait for each layer to dry and yesterday was hard since I wanted to jump right in and get to painting.

864399_md-.JPG

Edited by airinhere

I found a few good deals on ebay this summer and they are starting to appear in my PO Box.  Here is a set of three Space Crusade dreadnoughts and one mission Dreadnought model.  I plan to convert them to a more modern standard and then field them as a team of four Heavy weapon Centurions.

First I have removed the feet from the old square bases and now I am going to soak the old models in some dettoll.  I have to figure out how to mould shark faces onto these guys!

Edited by airinhere

I found these dreadnought models hidden on the second photo of an Ebay listing for spare parts.  I was thrilled to find such rare models and am stripping them and preparing to chop up the legs so they can be posed more dynamically.  I also have some  of the original missle launchers and cannons from the models, but am looking to pick up some centurion grav-cannons to model onto them.  

Meanwhile, I have a pair of marine squads painted and ready for basing.  I ordered some greenstuff to make the tyranid nodules so they will match all the other models in the army.  Hopefully these will arrive shortly.  meanwhile these brothers are ready to join their brothers in combat.  The ETL might be over, but I still feel the spark of inspiration to keep painting.

Over half of my troops will wear armor that has seen constant use for nearly ten thousand years.  

Edited by airinhere

This afternoon I started chopping up my Space Crusade dreadnoughts to use as Centurions for my Carcharodon army.  I started by reposing their legs to be a bit more dynamic.  Untill my Greenstuff order arrives, I am left with some rather crude cuts, but the overall effect is turning out quite nice.  I had to search for a tiny jigsaw to use for making such delicate cuts, but I found something that worked good enough.  I plan to sculpt each leg joint to show the cables and plates that were removed to allow me to change the leg positions.  Each leg section, foot and hip joint is also pinned in place to ensure a bit of stability since several of these will be posed standing on one foot.

Here is a group shot after a nice Dettol bath to peel the old layers of paint that had been generously applied.  I drilled the gun barrels of the heavy bolters on each model and then have reposed each models legs.  Feet had to be chopped loose from the original square bases and still need a bit of clean up to make the edges look neat and trim.

I am currently looking for a shark toy that I can use as a mould to make the nose of each model look like a shark on the hunt.

Mission Dreadnought model with the long legs and four weapon fix points.  This model will serve as my Sergeant model.  

Centurion with legs reposed to look like it is mid stride.  Two fire points for attatching weapon systems.

Second Centurion system reposed to appear to be running or balancing on a terrain piece.    Again, two fire points to affix weapon systems.

Third Centurion with reposed legs.  Assault Cannon system still fixed in place, but long term weapons designations are still undecided.

Included with this ebay victory was a small collection of missle launchers and assault cannons.  Enough to arm three of the centurions, but not enough to arm the sergeant.  As an alternative, I have looked into ordering a set of grav cannons and grav amps to add to each model.    I also am looking at ordering a set of the power plants for centurions to add to the rear of each models chassis.  Smokestacks and an enclosed engine would look nice methinks.

Edited by airinhere

I like the imagination you're demonstrating by converting the 'Space Crusade' Dreadnoughts into Centurions.

I am currently looking for a shark toy that I can use as a mould to make the nose of each model look like a shark on the hunt.

How about Sky-Byte, from 'Transformers'? Alternately, there's the jet boat that comes with 'Playskool Heroes Marvel Super Hero Adventures' Jet Boat Hulk, and the shark sub that comes with 'Playskool Heroes Transformers Rescue Bots'.

I am undecided on what shark faces to use for these Centurion alternate models, but untill my greenstuff shows up, I am stuck anyways.  In the meantime however, I found some new air drying material to use for basing.

DAS color modeling clay!

I used some of the blue colored, reusable mould material from Green stuff world to make moulds of Tyranid cysts. A little cooking oil to act as a mould release agent and then I jammed a glob of DAS material into each mould.  Using a spare 32mm base to press the clay in firmly, I then flexed the reusable mould material to release the freshly minted Tyranid cyst.

I spent all of 20 minutes making these for my new Carcharodon Brothers and my Centurion models (once the 50mm bases arrive in the mail).

These larger cyst towers will be added to the Centurion 50mm bases.

I could discover in the morning, that these turn to a chalky mess.  But for now, I am VERY happy with how well these press mould base material turned out.

Edit:  This stuff does not seem to ever fully cure.  I tried rinsing a few of these under some warm water and they instantly softened and began to melt.  I am trying to spray these with a coat of varnish to seal them in a shell of hard varnish to keep their detail from melting away.  I am going to have to run a few more trials before I decide to glue these to any bases.  It is a shame, but maybe I should look toward fimo-clay or another bake to harden clay instead.  

Edited by airinhere

For the last year, I have had a slowly growing supply of Chaos marines evolving into a cohesive force deep inside my bitz box.  Today I tooka  break from my Carcharodons and glued a small warband together and applied some basecoat and zenithal highlights.

Edited by airinhere

• 2 weeks later...

During the last few days I have recieved the bases and bitz I was waiting for so I could complete my Carcharodon infantry.   I somehow felt the need to add more Troops to my Carcharodon forces before I move fully onto my next projects.   

I ordered a set of grav cannons and grav guns from Kromlech and added a side order of chainaxes.  My only complaint is that I had to scramble a bit to make backpacks for the grav cannon troopers.  I took some leftover missle launcher backpacks and removed the actuator arms.  When my greenstuff arrives, I will make some hoses to connect the grav cannons to the backpacks and paint an OSL effect on the visible missles as if they are charged coils powering the grac systems.  Time will tell if they turn out the way I hope they will.  

The grav guns come in a set of five and allow me to field three for my biker command squad and then two for one of the bike squads.  I will have one squad of flamer, one of plasma, a melta squad and now one of grav.  I know the meta favors heavy grav spam, but the next round of rules could gimp grav weapons and I prefer the obvious flexibility of having each type of special weapons available to my Biker army.

The Chainaxes I ordered fit snug into the arms I ordered at the same time.  Mixing each marines armor type slightly across the entire army allowed me to use these arms without drawing any attention to them.  I really like being able to throw some more brutal looking chain weapons into the Carcharodon army ranks.  Kromlechs molds for chainaxes worked great for me and I am quite pleased with their products.

I also managed to add a touch of color to my Chaos warband.  I plan to make some dark purple or deep red washes and try to bring more depth to the pink armor.  I have read some interesting tutorials about how to add depth to pink armor.  I have enjoyed great luck on painting yellow and am hopeful that pink will have similarly favorable results.  Learning new color schemes is fun!

Finally, I recieved my order of Terminator models from Ebay to convert into Death Watch.  I added an order of Terminator DeathWatch shoulderpads and randomized chapter pads from Shapeways when I ordered my additional Carcharodon shoulderpads.  Using a Dremmel tool, I carefully removed each Terminators shoulderpads that were moulded in place.  Afterwards, I spent some time removing the Blood Angel and Death Wing iconography and details.  Then a basecoat of chaos black with a zenithal highlight of the same grey I used for my Carcharodons.  I am in the process of making a wash to hit these Terminators with to help blend the line between the highlights and the black basecoat.  

Edited by airinhere