Cadian 341st W.I.P

Rustysail

Hello there B&C,

Thank you for having me, I though I would share the progress of my Astra Militarium force.  

A little background on me, I started 40k with the release of the plastic Cadian Shock trooper and played till 2007. In that time I built a rather large Imperial Guard Army. However at that time I joined the Canadian Navy, and not knowing what the future held, I gave away my entire WH collection to a good friend. Fast forward to last spring, some of my buddies in the navy revealed they used to play so we all decided to get back into it together. Distraught by the memory of what I had lost I began with Tau and soon after Blood Angels, purchasing mostly second hand models. The call of the Guard still beckoned me, but I was not keen on second hand guard models, sacrificing all the cool bits and the experience of building it myself. 

The Emperor works in mysterious ways however and so my wife got a good job and suddenly re-building an Imperial Guard... I mean Astra Militarium force was within reach. So two weeks ago I bought a Cadian Defence box and was immediately hooked once again.  I may have gotten a bit carried away in the last two weeks, I have alot of painting ahead of me.

The Regiment is numbered after the first Ship I sailed on. The story for the regiment for an upcoming campaign my friends and I are organizing is that after many years fighting abroad the Regiment was given the greatest of honours a Cadian could hope for, they were to be deployed in defense of the Cadian Gate. However on the return trip to Cadia the regiment was commandeered by the Inquisition. They were to deploy to a war torn planet in search of a Xenos artifact. I intend to flesh more of the fluff out over the next few weeks. But enough of my ramblings, I suppose I will show what I have so far.

Here is everything I have so far:

1 Company Command Squad w/ banner, vox and Lascannon

1 10 man Scion squad w/ melta and hot shot volley gun and Taurox prime w/ missile launcher

1 Platoon:

-Platoon Command Squad

-Squad w/ grenade launcher, vox and auto cannon

-Squad w/ grenade launcher, vox and auto cannon

-Squad w/flamer, vox and heavy bolter

Vets w/ Heavy flamer, melta, plasma and chimera

Leman Russ Demolisher w/ swappable main guns, they just sit in for now but will need magnets

Leman Russ battle tank w/ swappable guns, will likely magnetize turret to hold it stronger

Wyvern

And not quite Imperial Gaurd, but I bought it because I really wanted to build one after the wonderful things I heard:

Imperial Knight Paladin

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Coldlaker/WH40K/20150123_234400.jpg

Here is the first squad I "finished". I noticed after I missed one set of boot guards and two chin straps, but I can get those when I do the rest of my guys. My intention was to make them passable in appearance for now, paint them all, and come back later to make them better. I like to think I have average painting skills and I am happy with how they look. Obviously with highlights they will look better.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Coldlaker/WH40K/20150120_152310.jpg

And here they are in front of the chimera I am experimenting with paints on. I tried using a wash then a drybrushing some green back over it to make it look weather, but I think I just made it look poorly painted. I'm going to be looking at alot of tutorials before I start in on the vehicles.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Coldlaker/WH40K/20150122_211623.jpg

Thank you for looking, I hope to show some progress real soon!

looking good there! i think the problem with the tanks is that they are quite monotonous and you don't seem to have picked out any fine detailing. the colour is also a bit more bright than the usual greens we see on cadian tanks, although that could be the flash? have you considered doing some camo on your vehicles? to weather them you could also try weathering powders. Some (like me) really like them.

keep on churning out guardsmen trooper!

Welcome to the B&C, and back to the Guard! :D You've already got a healthy collection to start with so you've just got to get painting! Looks to me like you've got that sorted with a good Cadian scheme. It looks well painted to me, I'd say above average easily if you want to be fussy :P Have you thought about a basing scheme for them yet? A good base makes a notable improvement on how models look.

I agree with hendrik on the Chimera, I think we need a closer look. You're using a slightly different green to the traditional Cadian colours which looks good on the troopers but I'm not sure about in large blocks on a tank. It might be worth considering a camo scheme or maybe a different green? We've lots of experienced painters and tread heads here so you'll be able to get lots of great help. In fact, I reckon you can get expert help on any aspect of Guard here ;)

Thank you for the warm welcome.

Yeah I think the green on the vehicles is all wrong. I was thinking of picking up caliban green. Does that sound like a better colour? I'm not keen on doing a camo scheme, every time I have tried camo in the past I was not happy with the results. Granted that was a decade ago and I have to say my gaurdsman were pretty awful back then too, so maybe it's a good time to try again. Any suggestions on what colour would best compliment Caliban Green for camo?

As for future plans, over the next few months I intend to get a few sentinels, because I have always loved them, a couple Valkyrie kits, another demolisher kit, and another Wyvern.

I also want to grab some HQ stuff: a couple Commissars, because I love em, and a pack of wyrdvane psykers to use as primaris psykers, and probably a priest. Pask is also on my shopping list.

The real fun will happen at tax time since I'm set to get a good return this year, so I plan on going all out then, grabbing another Cadian Box, a Baneblade kit and a Vulture Gunship from Forgeworld. 

I have a load of assembling and painting ahead of me, but I really enjoy doing that, I can settle down after the kids go to bed and just paint for a few hours, it really helps relax me. Fortunately, since my group games on a couple tables I built in my basement, playing with unpainted minis while I work away on them is not an issue.

Caliban Green is the new Dark Angels Green if I'm right? That's quite a dark colour, I'm not sure what would be a good complement to it so I'll have to give it a think. You should definitely consider it as 10 years is a long time so there's no reason not to try again plus there's a lot of talented painters who can give you advice :) If not, then the green will be ok as it works fine on Dark Angel vehicles :P

Don't forget to raid online resellers to save some money if you can :D I look forward to seeing the 341st come together :tu:

you could go with tons of colours, , white/beige, yellow, light browns, browns, lighter greens, black. the options are endless. I would recommend you paint some cardboard/plasticard/whatever just like you painted the tank now, and than try out different colours.just try every colour you've got in your arsenal and see what comes out. heck, for all we know pink might even look great! ;)

I think that the Caliban green vehicles would look good as it will match in the armour on your Cadians. What it is crying out for is some shading, detailing and weathering.

Panel lines and rivets (I just completed my Baneblade so I know all about rivets!) can be shaded using a watered down black ink. Lenses can be painted to a colour of your choice (the common ones are red/green/blue). Add decals to break up large flat areas, highlight sharp edges, add paint damage and finally apply a mud finish around the tracks and maybe some extra equipment such as backpacks, Aquillas etc hanging from the hull. This will all help to break up the large areas and make the model more interesting. If you want any advice let any of the painters here know and I am sure that we would all be happy to help.

Here is an example of one of my DA Rhinos to show what can be done with a large area of DA green.

med_gallery_62353_6291_639396.jpg

Thank you all for the great advice. I have been looking through threads here, as well as watching videos on You tube. I think later this week I'm going to pick up several more paints to have a good go at the tanks.  I got the cloth and armour done on 40 more gaurdsman. Going to try to get at least one step done each day this week on them.  

Also, I had my first real battle with them tonight. I wanted 1250 but my friend playing Necrons wanted at least 1500 so he had more points to try the Conclave of the Burning One formation. I agreed and after dropping Kurov's Aquila from my Commander, as well as a few pieces of vehicle gear, I added the Knight and had a nice round 1498.  We played Eternal War: Crusade and rolled up 2 objectives on the D3 for 4 total.

When the smoke cleared the Knight had proven it's worth after charging a decked out Lord and Warriors and defeating them, then crushing them in a sweeping advance. I had lost literally every vehicle I brought, including my Wyvern parked at the back, lost to a blinking C'tan. As well I lost my Company command squad and two squads of infantry from the platoon. My Vets in the Chimera and Scions in the Prime preformed marvelously. Hitting hard where they were needed, and then in the case of the scions, going to ground in a crater with an objective point to prove impossible to oust.  

The game ended with myself in possession of two objective points, my opponent one. He had first blood, slay the warlord and line breaker and I had slay the warlord. With the objectives each being worth 3 points this made the score 7-6 for the Imperial Guard. The Emperor Protects.

Here is a low quality shot of the aftermath. I think I may need to keep a camera on hand in the future to get batter shots and perhaps try my hand at a battle report once all our guys are painted and the terrain is finished. 

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Coldlaker/20150125_194733.jpg

Well, given that I have base coated my vehicles in the lighter green already I decided to experiment with what I have read and see what I could do with the Chimera.  It definitely needs some clean up because my technique was sloppy and I want Typhus Corrosion for around the rivets as well. I haven't done the full vehicle, but I felt I needed some opinions before I fully commit. Let me know what you think/how I could improve. Thanks again!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Coldlaker/20150126_180845.jpg

That looks very good to me, maybe it could be improved with a darker green but it's a good colour combination thumbsup.gif From there it's just a matter of doing additional details to the level you'd like such as lenses and weathering etc smile.png No excuses now Rusty, we expect you to be producing tanks in this scheme in short order msn-wink.gif

Nice paintwork on these guys, I particularly like the recent Chimera and the Infantry squad posted, a good rendition of that classic Cadian look.

I agree with others that a little weathering really gives a vehicle character, and lets you personalise the scars it may have faced in battle! I recommend GW's video tutorial for this, as they're genuinely very good tutorials in general, and really helped me with the basics.

You can then look into Weathering Powders and other more tricky techniques as you practise more. Trust me, it's really enjoyable once you get the hang of it if you're a treadhead like me!

Thank you all for the kind remarks.  

Had a friend over today for a game. 1250 Points. Used my Leman Russ tanks as a Punisher with Pask and a battle tank.  The Emperor did not see fit to bring victory to the Cadian 341st this night.  I had first turn and we were deployed Vanguard strike. Unfortunately the terrain layout forced the Eldar to deploy too far back for me to get Pask in range. I then proceeded to whiff on every shot. Going so far as to lay a battle cannon template over 4 dark reapers, 3/4 of the too wounds came up ones, then three ones again on the preferred enemy re-roll.

Here is how we sat halfway through the Eldar Movement phase

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Coldlaker/WH40K/20150128_184923.jpg

The War walkers drew first blood,  wrecking my chimera

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Coldlaker/WH40K/20150128_185756.jpg

He also layed into my twenty man unit with a fire prism and wave serpants, causing them to flee right off the board.

On my turn two I made the biggest mistake of the game. I targeted the Fire prism over a wave serpent containing Fire dragons. Between Pask and the battle tank I did more than enough damage to wreck the Eldar skimmer, even with it's dirty jinks.   

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Coldlaker/WH40K/20150128_192501.jpg

I laid down a good volley with the Wyvern on his jet bikes with Farseer. He passed all his look out sir rolls and then lost all but one bike and the farseer.

He answered by rolling his Wave serpent up, off loading his Fire Dragons and Exploding both tanks in one round of shooting . (I realize looking back on explodes we are supposed to remove the vehicles, my bad)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Coldlaker/WH40K/20150128_194158.jpg

His serpents then finished his turn by wrecking the Taurox prime. In an act of futility the Scions exacted revenge on one of the Wave serpents by assaulting it with krak grenades. The wyvern was also able to kill a warlock and most his dire avengers but things were still as good as done for the guard. 

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Coldlaker/WH40K/20150128_200254.jpg

In the bottom of turn 3 the Eldar killed off my Vets and Wyvern and left me with nothing but a Commander and four troops.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Coldlaker/WH40K/20150128_201246.jpg

With that I forfeited and immediately began analyzing my many errors. I will get another crack at the Eldar next week in the form of a 750pt Combat patrol. Hopefully I can fare better there.

The only survivors:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Coldlaker/WH40K/20150128_201310.jpg

they look good! great to see you've already painted up so many of those tanks! I particullary like how all your units (except the taurox) are already painted! If only my infantry was like that!

suggestion wise i'dd say you need something to create some more "depth" into your vehicles to bring out their shape a bit more if you know what i mean (that's kind of the counteridea of actuall camouflage, but it looks nicer if you know what i mean!). given that your table used a slightly darker earth colour i do think giving the tanks a wash with some typhus corrosion or other brown wash would help to bring out their shapes and details. it'll also tie them in better with your washed infantry. either way, keep up the good work!

Had another battle last night. This time against the new Necron Codex.  Intended to take loads of notes and pictures but I was also helping a friend playing for the first time on my other table use my Blood Angels so didn't think to stop and take pics and notes.  It was an overwhelming victory for the Necrons. A big thing I am coming to realize is a single turn of bad scatters is tough to recover from for AM. Gauss also drastically affects the Knights ability to close with and destroy the enemy.  While he did make it in and destroyed a unit of warriors with Cryptek in the sweeping advance, he then faced gauss fire on three facings.  Good night sweet Knight.

Here is what the set up looked like after deployment

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Coldlaker/WH40K/DSC03102.jpg

There is a Wyvern in the far corner you can't see in this picture, as well as a Manticore in the near corner.

And the only other picture I though to take during Turn 2.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Coldlaker/WH40K/DSC03104.jpg

The Flier was counting as a Vandetta, I need to order the weapons from Forgeworld this month.  I foolishly thought it would make short work of the C'tan Shard.  Looking forward I think I really should just try to move everything out of the C'tans path. Alternatively I'm considering picking up and running 5 Bullgryns. Both as a mobile tank shield and to try to take on big threats like the C'tan. 

Archived