Getting into 30k 1750 RG

Kibosh

So getting into 30k and and I'm torn between Raven Guard and Iron Warriors at the moment so I thought I would share some lists with you all before I started buying anything and get your input. I'm going for a balanced mix of fluffy and competative. Really I want a strong list that wont get scrubbed off the table, but not at the expense of fluff. Here are a couple RG lists I'm working on. Let me know what you think and which is better:

List 1:

HQ:

Praetor- Artificer Armor, Iron Halo, Jump Pack, Paragon Blade, Digital lasers, Melta Bombs,

Master of the Legion- Decapitation Strike

Troops:

10 Legion Assault Squad

20 Legion Tactical Squad- Vexilla, Sarg with a Power Axe, Artificer Armor, and Meltabombs, Apothecary

6 Legion Support Squad- Plasma Guns, Drop pod

Elites:

Contemptor Mortis- 2 TL Lascannons or Kheres

Fast Attack:

Darkwing Storm Eagle

Heavy Support:

2x Deathstorm Drop Pod- Krak Launchers, Drop pod assault

This list infiltrates the blob to hold an objective and wait for a juicy infantry target to pounce on. The Deathstorms come in turn 1 and try and pop anti air and transports. Turn 2 or 3 the support squad, Darkwing/assault squad come in and pounce vunerable targets. Contemptor is just providing long range support and anti air turn 1.

OR

List 2:

HQ:

Praetor- Jump Pack, Iron Halo, Digital Lasers, Melta bombs, Nanyte Blaster, Paragon Blade

RoW: Decapitation Strike

Troops:

2x 10 tacticals- Vexilla

7 Tactical Support Marines- Plasma Guns, Drop pod

Elites:

Contemptor Mortis- 2 TW lascannons

Fast Attack:

5 Dark Fury- Melta Bombs on Sgt

Darkwing Storm Eagle

Heavy Support:

2x Deathstrom Drop pod- DP assault, Krak missles

Second list is a bit more fun dropping the assault squad and giving me dark fury's to put in the Storm Eagle since Im pretty sure they will be better in assault.

Thoughs?

I would drop the Assault Marines completely. They are too expensive, especially below 2k which is unfortunate. Dark Furies are solid. That said the second list is is the way to go.

Also our RoW restricts us to one Heavy Support slot, that's why it moves Deathstorms to elites optionally. Just have to move them up.

I would drop the Assault Marines completely. They are too expensive, especially below 2k which is unfortunate. Dark Furies are solid. That said the second list is is the way to go.

Also our RoW restricts us to one Heavy Support slot, that's why it moves Deathstorms to elites optionally. Just have to move them up.

Made me the happiest Astartes on earth by saying that lol I Liked that list a lot more. Is it even possible to use the Darkwing as a transport for the Furies? Any big changes you would make to the list as a whole? Feel that it is fluffy and would hold its own for now... not sure how I would deal with a Spartan at this point level outside of the couple meltabombs I have.

Jump infantry not being able to go in transports is a relic of 5th edition. I didn't even realize it until this edition because the Storm Raven still had the "Can transport jump infantry" rule, even though it didn't actually change anything.

Speaking of odd rules I only recently discovered. 30k drop pods don't kick you out when they land like 40k. So you can stay inside for ablative AV12.

Spartans below 2k are rare in my experience. Even if there is one that means there's barely anything else to the list and being RG you can easily kill off the rest of the list. Assaulting a Spartan with only two meltabombs may explode it but then the contents are free to shoot and assault you afterwords. If you're really worried about them, or know your opponent loves them, you can swap the Darkwing for a Lightning Strike Fighter and give it quad Kraken Pen missiles.

Some say a Praetor at low points like this is overkill, but if you use him well it shouldn't be a problem. Maun is a great alternative to get our RoW but you don't want him out in the open.

Archived