Ultramarines 2k-3k

Praefectus Invictus

So, my local group is doing a Horus Heresy campaign, with 5 loyalists and (hopefully) 5 traitors. I picked Ultramarines.

The criteria for playing is to have 500 points built and painted every three months. We are aiming for the 2k-3k range. 

I am going to play this mainly for fluff, to create stories for my models and expand their character, but I would like to create something semi-competitive. My force is going to be based upon the Armarturan Evocati, so shields and defences everywhere.

My first 500 points is 

HQ

Praetor 185

MC Paragon blade

MB

Iron Halo

Digi Lasers

Troops

Breachers 315

Arti Armour

Power weapon

MB

Vexilla 

MB

Some units that I would like to include are the new Deredeo Dreadnought, Autocannon heavy weapons team and a Sicaran, but feel free to suggest new units.

(Also, only the Praetor is ordered, nothing else has been)

Get some Terminators in, can't go wrong with Terminators :) Evocati being veterans fits the fluff too (you could run a Pride of the Legion list and have termies and vets as troops).

Yeah I have some Cataphractii on my desk - debating whether to use them for my Iron Warriors or paint them up as Ultramarines - with white shoulder pads and all that edging they look great as the mighty XIII!

The visions of Heresy book shows that the Ultramarines used Cyclone Missile armed Terminators

http://i60.tinypic.com/2is89xl.jpg

If you were to use as a Count-as list, that leaves you two options if you wish to use those; Iron Warriors, or the Alpha Legion with their unique Rite of War.

The Alpha Legion Rite of War is honestly the nearest I think you can get to making the Ultramarines (mutable tactics, reserves manipulation, seize the Initiative, etc) until the rules are released (presumably in Tempest).

Iron Warriors can do alright with Breacher squads in an assault using the Rite of War - Rapid Firing and then assaulting with their 5++, and an additional Heavy Support is always useful - that's another Fire Raptor, or Achilles. Honestly, though, it doesn't really bring much to the Ultramarines style of play.

So what are the rules for your 500 point lists? Just one troops choice?

I'd consider running a plain centurion as your hq, and upgrade him later. This will save a lot of points, and probably let you bring another support unit, maybe a speeder or a rapier or two.

Breachers aren't so cost effective, but they clearly fit with your theme. If you were planning on having a tactical squad in your list, I'd start with that first, as it is so much cheeper! If not, I think you should probably add some special weapons to the squad, as it is one of the few advantages or breachers to my mind. I'd add either melta or flames myself.

Whatever you do, I'm sure ultras will look stunning, and Reyner is bang on about how nice cataphracti would look!

So what are the rules for your 500 point lists? Just one troops choice?

I'd consider running a plain centurion as your hq, and upgrade him later. This will save a lot of points, and probably let you bring another support unit, maybe a speeder or a rapier or two.

Breachers aren't so cost effective, but they clearly fit with your theme. If you were planning on having a tactical squad in your list, I'd start with that first, as it is so much cheeper! If not, I think you should probably add some special weapons to the squad, as it is one of the few advantages or breachers to my mind. I'd add either melta or flames myself.

Whatever you do, I'm sure ultras will look stunning, and Reyner is bang on about how nice cataphracti would look!

There are no rules, just to have 500 points painted. Basically means you could paint Horus and then say "Sup :cuss , I got Horus, what you got?". No one is doing that BTW.

I really want to have a tooled up commander at the start, as I am playing for fluff and we are evolving stories as part of the campaign.

And lastly, hell yeah with breachers! I have realised they are costly, but the main core of my force is going to be a massive squad of breachers with Tacs and support behind.

Archived