Is the Deredeo too expensive?

AfroCampbell

Is the Deredeo too expensive?

As far as I see... yes and no.

Yes, in that walkers tend to be overpriced in general.  Some by a little, some by a lot.  We tend to see a lot of Contemptor-Mortis dreads running around, but I think that is largely because it has been our only half-decent anti-air option.  IMO, though, they're actually a bit overpriced. 

But, when you compare a Twin TLLC C-M vs a Deredeo, they're the same price for 90% identical stats.  In anything that doesn't involve trying to 1. glance a Flare Shielded Spartan from the front or 2. Kill TEQ the Deredeo wins.  So in that sense, no, it's not overpriced because it beats out an existing model in a similar role.

Side note, though, is that there is an intangible cost to go with the slot that they're in.  It can vary list by list, but in general heavy supports are harder to come by and more valuable because you can get more powerful units in the slot, so anything that takes up a heavy support slot really ought to be worth it.

If you've got the HS slot to spare, I think the Deredeo now beats out the Contemptor-Mortis - and while it will make it more expensive, you should also always put the little missile launcher on there.  Independent targeting, long range, no LOS required, it's a marine murder machine and it will just tally up value over the course of a game through the number of marines that it removes.  If you're especially lucky, you'll get a unit pinned or manage to kill a Predator or something.

I agree with Kitwulfen. Derdeo is more effective against vehicles as Heavy Support Squad with 4 missile launchers, PLUS you have a full squadron of Basilisks against marines. With autocannons alone, it can on average destroy any other Dreadnought. So the only thing that is bad about him - he will probably be the biggest fire magnet in your army.

I think the Deredeo is definitely worth it's points for what it does, it might seem pricey, but that's because it's a beast.

Agreeing along with Kitwulfen, I've done some test rolls. So far, nearly 100% of the time, I've been able to glance AV13 to death with one round of shooting from it. The missiles firing at a different unit is just icing on the cake.

Twin linked BS5 will hit nearly every shot, but sunder is so fantastic for what it does. It's kinda like you have rerolls to hit and wound vehicles.

The thing is no slouch against flyers and deep striking units either.

how about against skimmers and jinking  it seems the Sicaran has the edge there with it's ignores jink.

This can be as much as a downside if it fails to kill it in one turn, as the opponent then doesn't need to consider the trade off between jinking and snap firing next turn.

how about against skimmers and jinking  it seems the Sicaran has the edge there with it's ignores jink.

That's true, but then not many people use javelins. I know Athrawes runs 2 but they blow over in a stiff breeze when anything points at them.

Just to point out, we don't have the 30k version of the Deredo, only the 40k Relic Deredo which has the express permission to be used in 30k. The Heresy era one may recieve a points discount, stat change or additional weapon options that change it's role from an anti-air/skimmer platform.

While true, I doubt there will be many changes to the basic rules; for the weapons load out - yes - but for the rules - no.

The Sicaran can deal with skimmers but it isn't the best at performing AA, where the majority of "skimmers" will be.

It's basically the old Grey Knight psi-dread at 135 pts, plus AV13, interceptor, sky fire, an invul save, and a heavy bolter and extra armor a search light and smoke launchers and BS 5 and Sunder.... 

That's a lot of extra kit and really good rules for 50 points. And you could argue the GK dread was under costed. 

So yeah. Expensive, but by no mean overpriced. I would say it is similarly under priced and specialized like the sicarian or the scorpius. 

Its shooting is really efficient and tailored for what it does. It's a great addition to a dread bash list!

I'm 100% with kitwulfen. If you're already looking at a mortis and comparing it against a Dodo, then there is a niche it can fill. That said, the mortis itself is a bit expensive. Unless you're looking for a slight edge against fliers, there are more economic options. I'm sticking to my contemptor. To me it really is a dodo.

Archived