appiah4's Blood Angels

appiah4

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What red did you use for that techmarine, appiah? It's almost exactly what I'm looking for for flesh Eaters. Is it the same as the other guys and just the lighting making it look different?

It is indeed different, the color used is Vallejo Game Color Heavy Red (a 99% equivalent but less opaque and less glossy substitute is Vallejo Model Color Red). Here is a daylight shot of the two bunch next to each other (apologies for potato camera quality, I snap a photo real quick..)

gallery_60983_8363_479681.jpg

And the devs are made with Vallejo Model Color Red?

No they were basecoated with cheap craft paint (Plaid FolkArt Lipstick Red), a coat of Army Painter Red Ink Wash, some Army Painter Flesh Wash Ink recess shades and then highlighted with more cheap craft paint (Plaid FolkArt Red Light and Pure Orange.  Blues, blacks, metallics and all the other stuff are Vallejo Model Color though.

I am currently undecided on whether to keep that deep red for just the Techmarine or make it my new painting style going forward as the rest of my army is more of an orange-ish red than the Maroon red that he turned out as, and he does not quite blend in - which is fine for a Techmarine, but not great if I want to have a cohesive army. 

Most likely I will basecoat with Vallejo Game Color Heavy Red, shade with flesh wash, then do an initial layer of Vallejo Model Color Dark Vermillion before the edge highlights with Vallejo Model Color Scarlet and Vallejo Model Color Bright Orange - this will have one estra layering step but will probably yield a closer color.  I will try this approach on my next project: Oldhammer Honor Guard.

If I ever do BA Primaris (which I really doubt, currently all my Primaris painting is Imperial Fists and I'm really enjoying painting yellow) I will simplify the method back to the Techmarine recipe, though.

OK then, next quick win project: Reinforcements for my Scout Squad; a sergeant and a boltgun.

gallery_60983_8363_141701.jpg

Noticed I forgot to pick some metallics after taking the photo. After that I will do some cleaning up, then wash the remaining colors.

It's interesting that VMC's Heavy Brown is such a light brown, I was expecting it to be closer to GW's foundation paint (or whatever they are called these days). I will have to do a single coat of Flat Brown over those. Regardless, I don't regret using Heavy Brown first, it was good coverage in one layer - no way Flat Brown could cover that way over black, I'd get a lot of streaking.

Aaaah, that fantastic folding stock on the bolt pistol :wub:

And that tiny melta-charge! Those sculpts never stop to amaze me!

Yea, it's interesting to see that all the features on these Jes sculps from almost 30 years ago don't look out of place with modern Primaris, who are going back to tacti-cool, with chest strapped grenades, comms units, scopes, holsters, etc. 

Another WIP. Not my best work but I stopped being a perfectionist on troop models a long time ago. After basing these will do just fine. I will take proper photos then.

gallery_60983_8363_384258.jpg

The models' faces were loosely based on the likeness of these two characters. Did I get close? Bonus points to whoever gets the show's name first.

NUP_179671_0180_FULL.jpg

Edited by appiah5

Another WIP. Not my best work but I stopped being a perfectionist on troop models a long time ago. After basing these will do just fine. I will take proper photos then.

gallery_60983_8363_384258.jpg

The models' faces were loosely based on the likeness of these two characters. Did I get close? Bonus points to whoever gets the show's name first.

NUP_179671_0180_FULL.jpg

I love The Blacklist :D

Very nice models but then ... who would Reddington be ? :p

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I actually got to finish Death Company Tycho for LPC, so here is a slightly better photo. I will take a proper photo with my camera later on, for now this iPhone shot will have to do :smile.:

gallery_60983_8363_792480.jpg

I tried a rather unorthodox color scheme for him and I think it worked quite well.

It's funny how I keep trying to get work done on my yellow stormcast wannabes and always end up painting red old marines..

Edited by appiah5