Building an army around Kurov's Aquila?

irwit

Hi all

So Im thinking that the Aquila is a pretty awesome relic but because of the points needed for it to do its thing,  you are talking 200 point unit + after you have a chimera and a couple of options.  However with a low BS,  high fire rate army like AM,  its actually a pretty amazing buff and can buff almost your entire army. 

I guess one question,  If I have the command squad in a chimera,  is it anyone within 6 inches of the chimera? This would help extend the bubble a little I guess. 

Therefore with such an expense you have to kind of build your army around it.  

I'm thinking an armoured gunline of Chimeras carrying troopers with autocannons,   with some Sentinels dotted around makes the most sense?  

So for 125 points I get a scoring Chimera with a multilaser,  heavy bolter and an auto cannon, all with prefered enemy.  Thats decent range decent fire output.  A couple of these and a unit of 3 sentinels with autocannons and you have a pretty good firebase.  

OR  if I want lot of shots am I better with pask in a punisher with a buddy? 

The bubble is measured from the vehicle he's in yes, so that adds some useful range to the effect. That said it still wouldn't be a massive area so to get the most of it you'd need to be pretty close and if you wanted a lot of units to benefit then it'd get crowded. Just imagine your average Guard artillery regiment list to see how bad an idea that could be! Use of squadrons would help here as only one model would need to be within range.

So useful most definitely, but not something I'd call viable for building an entire list around. Certainly to make use of for a section or elements of your list but a bit risky to try too much. Plus if you have the Chimera to increase the radius this also means he's much more mobile, so could move around as required. If you're talking costs though, is Pask really much cheaper? He only allows you to have better Russes, but with the Aquila you can give PE to anything so it is more flexible. The issue is likely keeping your commander alive as he will no doubt be a high priority target.

You would need to double check the rules to see if an embarked unit can count as being within range for such buffs, I remember there being some detail to how that worked but not the answer and I don't have my rulebook to hand.

It's enough that there is a model from an unit within the bubble for the whole unit to receive the buff.

I've tried this with ccs geared with aquila and all the toys, 2x 50 guardsman platoons with 10 autocannons behind an aegis defence line.

It's good to remember that if a model with heavy weapon doesn't move it can still shoot even if someone in the unit moves = 2 lines of guardsmen behind aegis infront of heavy weapons that have preferred enemy. Should someone die in the front rank you just run more from the back or sides to take their place.

Also worth considering is the fact that you get 2+ cover save behind aegis when going to ground... and you can order the unit up in next shooting phase with minimal effort.

Not to mention the fact that those two platoons block line of sight to your ccs that is behind / in the middle of them. Unless you put it in a chimera which is an decent option as well, give it a camo netting for good measures.

Now if someone is dumb enough to come within frfsrf range...

I don't think id live long enough to get 100 guardsmen painted up! lol

I guess maybe I could go Sentinel heavy so an easy way to get 9 heavy weapons with preferred enemy with some chimeras to the rear?  

A landing pad could be good and just hide the CCS underneath and put whatever I like on top,  even tanks! 

I've used him once or twice with Plasma Vets in Chimeras. You can usually keep two to three Chimera in range of the Aquila with relative ease, meaning those plasma shots just got a whole lot more dangerous. It makes me also want to give pistol upgrades to the sergeants it is so good. Consider making one of the three melta in order to deal with big armor. PE helps them out quite a bit too.

I would, however, advise you to take another HQ as your warlord. That Aquila will paint a great big ol' target on the commander all on its own, you don't need him being the warlord to add to it. Pick up Pask too. It also frees up the CCS to go around totting quad plasmaguns themselves. Good times, good times.

It sounds like plasma vets are the best way to get the most of out this upgrade.   So with that in mind.  

Plasma vets in chimera - 170

Plasma vets in chimera - 170

CCS, Aquila,  4 x plasma in Chimera  -  245

585 points.  

Does seem a lot doesn't it? Shame as its a good relic,  just overcosted I think. 

Ok so the list I am building is for a tournament,  the limit being only 480 points on a Lord of War.  So a preferred enemy Stormlord is possible! Surround with sentinels and fill with heavy weapons teams and CCS.  Definition of eggs in one basket but 9 hull points and AV14 its not exactly going anywhere fast and the fire output is just insane! 

Archived