Drop Pod List: Effective for the Imperial Fists Legion?

Rommel44

Hey mates. Looking to get started in 30k here in a bit and I am already in the process of gathering the beginnings of my IF Army. Already have 50x MKVII Space Marines I will have converted with the breacher squad upgrade pack from FW, however I am debating on whenever I should run the Imperial Fists in a Drop Pod Army. According to a few of my friends, they can be pretty effective in a list like that, however many say I should run the Stone Gauntlet Imperial Fists list to benefit from there +1 BS as well as the +1 Toughness if I do decided to go that rout. Anyways, I am still very new to 30k so any advice and all advice to run an effective IF Legion in 30k would be greatly appreciated.

Besides Breachers, what else did you envision for the Force? Because if you want Drop Pod Army, that requires a Preator for the Orbital Assault RoW and your Squads will never number more than 10.

Read up on its restrictions. If you don't have the book/info, PM me and I'll see what I can do.

Beyond that, differing from our chapter Tactics in 40k, we're actually better at shooting since we get boosted to BS5, BS6 or even BS7 if you have a Master of Signal for a Further +1 BS.

We also have pretty decent Close Combat with our generic characters getting re-rolls to hit in challenges - though if you're taking a Preator, Sigismund, while costing 230 points, is pretty much the be-all-end-all for Preators in terms of how killy he is in a challenge. Though if you do field him, he will be a massive target.

Polux is another great character to consider over a Generic Preator. Not to mention he can swing his Power Fist at initiative if he sacrifices some attacks.

We're also the only legion that can Deep Strike Terminators (Night Lords are the other) and have Storm Shields (Salamanders are the other) which make our Generic Terminators pretty potent; especially since we, along with the Blood Angels, get the only Terminator Assault Cannons in 30k. This makes up for not having a Legion Terminator Unit like the Others - Though our Templar and Phalanx Warders are essentially Psuedo Terminators with their 2+/5++ (in combat with shields) and 3+/5(6)++ saves respectively. The latter being able to re-roll failed armor saves against Blast and Templates due to Void-Hardened Power Armor.

So: list the units that pique your interest and want to include into a list and we'll work from there. Its much easier for me, at least, to help you build a force if I know what your looking for from it. Speed? Gunlines? Artillery? Hammer? etc.

Thanks for the reply. I like to run hard, fast hitting lists and I have always liked the Imperial Fists, and I thought the extra BS would be pretty nasty in a Drop Pod Army. If not them, what Legion would be a better Choice? I have considered the White Scars but I also heard that the Raven Guard are a nasty Drop Pod Army.

If you want Hard and Fast, you consider Angels Wrath? Permits tac squads to take Storm Eagles as dedicated Transports; meaning you can run full 20 man Tac Squads because of its Capacity.

Only limitation is that everything has to be a Flyer, Jetbike, Skimmer, Jump Pack Infantry or Embarked inside a transport that fulfills any of the prior criteria. So no tanks.

You can skill take Pods in the form of the Anvillus and the Kharybdis (Since they are Flyers/Skimmers on top of being pods) if you want to bring in heavier units like Dreadnoughts or Rapiers and you aren't really lacking in Anti-Tank with Primaris-Lightnings, Fire Raptors and Jetbikes make for decent all round units.

Only downside if the FA slot will actually be hotly contested. Upside is, you're probably bringing in 2+ flyers :p

Raven Guard have arguably the strongest Alpha Strike Army with their RoW regardless of Podding it in. Read up on their Tactica Thread and feel free to ask them there.

Emperors Children might also offer something you're looking for. Again, read up on their tactica thread and ask for some advice there.

Imperial Fists are more or a Hammer and Anvil force with Strong Gunlines supporting Land Raider/Spartan advances filled with our heavy hitting Templars and Terminators.

I'm playing 4000pts Sons of Horus Orbital Assault army, and there are some problems I'm experiencing all the time:

1. Your squads are often too small to be effective. Special Support is OK, but tacticals are too small, Veterans have to choose either to take Apothecary or second special weapon, and so on.

2. You're paying premium price to have Dreadnoughts and Contemptors in pods. I can rarely fit them into 4000pts.

3. The most critical point for me at the moment, it is hard to pack a really good punch into half of your army. By the time second half arrives (which for me is 2nd turn because of reroll 1 on reserves) it's usually already too late. When your opponent knows what he's facing, he deploys accordingly, which means that even if you'll hit his army on the turn 1, you are already in sweet spots for him to hit you even harder. At first I wanted to put 10-man Cataphractii on the table during deployment, but now I see that then I'm lacking another 2 units who could actually do some damage on turn 1. So under 2500 I'll have only pods and nothing else.

4. Just to give you something to think about... Check out how much 10 drop pods will cost you, compare that to IF rite of war.

If you use the orbital assault ROW all units who can take a rhino are eligible to take a pod.

But breacher squads cannot take a rhino as a dedicated transport, so cannot take a drop pod for the same reason.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived