The Eagle Spire - Eagles Eternal Chapter Blog

War Angel

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Last week I joined a little challenge. Build and paint 5 units, 2 characters, and 2 tanks before the 28th of March. My target is 3 intercessor squads, an infantry squad, a special weapons squad as my units. A company commander and commissar as my characters. And a redemptor and repulsor for the tanks. Here’s the progress on the intercessors.

XvIhy1p.jpg

BTW there are tons of etsy and shapeways designers who can put EGAs, Crossed Rifles and Quatrefoils onto shoulder pads, knee pads and most doors or dread armor plates. Incase you get tired of doing them yourself

Hobby lobby has a Large mould making kit that's 70 bucks but you can use their weekly coupon for 40% off. Alumilite is the brand. I've used it for bases, nurgling bases, storm shields, reaper chain cannons and chaos icons from the old marines and vehicle sprues

Edited by Debauchery101

BTW there are tons of etsy and shapeways designers who can put EGAs, Crossed Rifles and Quatrefoils onto shoulder pads, knee pads and most doors or dread armor plates. Incase you get tired of doing them yourself

I’ve only found the one (pop goes the monkey) and he doesn’t do anything for vehicles (at least for USMC)

You haven’t looked in their vehicles, you don’t know how many crayons and drawings are in there....

• 2 months later...

Gather round children, as we set off a new adventure filled with fresh hell for me to regret. Question, what’s 17inches wide, and about 9 inches at its tallest point? Four bastions combined together. (Update, I’ll be needing 6 total to get all the walls and parapets I need) welcome to [insert name here] a combination of bastions that will effectively block line of sight across the table not only for small units, but large ones too, like knights. A fun location for troops to scramble over for objectives, and a place of assembly for the forces of the imperium to take on Xenos and heritic alike.

This is a rather large build, and I gave up on searching for directions for how to do more combinations of the bastion than putting several in a line, so I thought it would be a good idea to document this process here, and that way maybe some of you can provide insight where possible. So, where to begin? Well first, I did some looking online for real world fortresses to get some inspiration, this one popped up and I rather liked it.

RV97rFZ.jpg

Now I rather quickly learned (yesterday) that I have zero desire to do any inward facing corners, as it requires more cutting than I had planned on, so I came up with this little doodle of what I imagine this to look like.

8Ic4Xto.jpg

I’ll need a minimum of 4 doors, one from the large tower into the courtyard structure. Two onto the landings on the side, and at least one into the structure itself. Currently, I’m thinking the landings should be accessed from the courtyard structure, this would mean should they be overrun, the invaders must first break into the larger structure rather than entering the tower itself, which would grant access to the top of both parts. Next I opened the boxes, I still need two more it would seem.

rXlSUqN.jpg

So, they designed these to be modular, and they did a great job with the base of the model. Want a single 1x1? These pieces combine to the corner piece in the same way, and you’ve got your base. Want a 2x2? Add a second base piece to each side. As long as you only want a square or rectangle, your set. It’s the mid section that gets tricky, or if you want an inward facing corner that requires cutting. I’m planing on glueing sprue to this to reinforce it, but I’m not sure if I should wait until it’s finished so it still has a little give to it while I’m building.

ROiq5xH.jpg

Now, the kit comes with two each of two different walls, the only difference is the impact spots on the facing. I’m going to do some testing and research to figure out the best way to add some more, so that it doesn’t look like the same spread pattern repeated over and over again.

iZjEORT.jpg

I started this last night, but this morning I was able to finish the base. One distraction was all it took for one of the corner’s to be slightly off, just enough for a fraction of a gap and it doesn’t sit flush on the table. The top of it doesn’t seem to be offset too much so I guess I just need to fill in the space. Models included for scale.

I5qLxl1.jpg

Now comes the first challenge. These walls, which I’m going to call walls (the base pieces are also a “wall” but they are the only piece that can be used as a base) these sections are not as modular. They are designed to fit directly to each other at a 90’ turning inwards on themselves to make a 1x1 box. To turn them outwards the other direction or placing them in a line will require me to cut off the top notch on each piece, and have no guide surface to ensure alignment. This means I could easily place them improperly and they no longer fit together at the end. In addition to these issues, a total of 8 Walls will be placed in a hanging position, with nothing under them.

vSGLHWY.jpg

So currently, I am stuck as to how to proceed. I believe it may be best if I start building the wall sections on top of the base, to get the alignment down, then maybe fill in the base, and connect the walls together on top of that? This also raises the question of what to fill it with. I briefly considered making some kind of framework out sprue, but that sounds daunting. I could get some kind of board to fill it with, or insulation foam.

Any ideas and suggestions would be appreciated. Also brainstorming names, and how I should paint this bad boy. Thanks for stoping by.

I would use insulation foam squares or foam board to build the base under the structure of your hanging walls. It will give you the support you need for the walls and able the ability to level them.

Filling the gaps can be done with plasticard and be textured to look like the wall around it. You could even embellish a little to make it look like the wall has been reinforced.

Finished a new squad, welcome 4/5 (4th squad, 5th company) Squad Miller. I recruited two Millers, they were siblings. I really enjoy how the (auspex? Idk what his hand computer is... PIPBoy?) this is my first Stalker Bolt rifle squad. 5th squad is also going to be stalkers (and eventually I’ll finish the second half of all these squads, already own the models.)

vC5NROl.jpg

3XiXrK9.jpg

Back to work on Eternal Outpost. (Or Whisky Outpost?)

Nice. I went to that castle a couple of years ago. It's near Lisbon. It was pretty interesting, but also involved a lot of waiting around in the direct sun, to get into the tower bit. I look forward to seeing the 40k version.

You’ve been! Perfect! I have two questions that will help me with design of this beast. Where is the entryway into the structure from the outside, and where is the entryway connecting the tower and the courtyard?

• 3 weeks later...

Working on my second repulsor (first executioner) makes “Deadly Commitment” how do you guys like the side art?

lPKqVOp.jpg

Got a long list of what to work on next, but it’s getting thinner. At this point the challenge is becoming “what” should be next.

Edited by War Angel

Just read this article on USMC Body Bearers, who serve as pallbearers at military funerals.

[F]lawless funerals are the standard the Section maintains for itself to show to the family the love and respect we have for our fallen Marines and the honor we take in being “the last to let you down”. For this reason, the road to becoming a Body Bearer is one of the most arduous paths one can take in the Marine Corps...

Earning the title of a Marine Corps Body Bearer is not the light at the end of the tunnel for students, however. Once earning Black and Gold, Body Bearers fight complacency by continuing to improve their strength, perfect their craft in the ceremonial drill they perform, and must continue to perform flawless funerals on a daily basis.

Sounds like a good inspiration for the Chapter's Honor Guards, armored in black-and-gold to show how solemnly they undertake the sacred duty of safeguarding the Chapter's leaders. Edited by Bjorn Firewalker

Just read this article on USMC Body Bearers, who serve as pallbearers at military funerals.

[F]lawless funerals are the standard the Section maintains for itself to show to the family the love and respect we have for our fallen Marines and the honor we take in being “the last to let you down”. For this reason, the road to becoming a Body Bearer is one of the most arduous paths one can take in the Marine Corps...

Earning the title of a Marine Corps Body Bearer is not the light at the end of the tunnel for students, however. Once earning Black and Gold, Body Bearers fight complacency by continuing to improve their strength, perfect their craft in the ceremonial drill they perform, and must continue to perform flawless funerals on a daily basis.

Sounds like a good inspiration for the Chapter's Honor Guards, armored in black-and-gold to show how solemnly they undertake the sacred duty of safeguarding the Chapter's leaders.

That’s a cool idea, for a second it sounded like their uniform is different. I kinda wanna use this for chaplains and it the new judicar, or maybe champions. My first company is dressed in the white summer trousers.

I guess the honor guard doesn’t need to be a part of the first company though do they?

I guess the honor guard doesn’t need to be a part of the first company though do they?

Each Company's Captain needs his own Honor Guards. I also had the idea of the Chapter Master taking promising Marines from each company, and training them as Honor Guards, making such training mandatory for promotion to the position of Company commander (i.e., Captain); the point being to train a Marine to be loyal to the Chapter as a whole, not only to his Company and its Captain, in order to prevent the following:

Chaos Infiltrator Z: "Captain J, you can lead the Chapter better than Chapter Master A! When the Chapter Master calls for help, you should keep your Company in reserve instead. That way, Chapter Master A will die, along with Captains B through I..."

CAPT J: "Making me the Chapter Master!"

Chaos Infiltrator Z: "You'll show them (the Corpse Emperor and His servants) who's boss!"

I doubt I'm the only Space Marines player who's SICK and TIRED of REPEATEDLY seeing this in Games Workshop publications.

That’s a cool idea, for a second it sounded like their uniform is different. I kinda wanna use this for chaplains and it the new judicar, or maybe champions.

Good idea! Place the Honor Guard under the Chaplains' authority instead of the Chapter Master and the Captains'. The Chaplains charge the Honor Guard not only with the sacred duty of protecting the Chapter's leaders, but the solemn duty of monitoring their charges for heretical and treasonous thoughts and behavior- in short, as the Chapter's own Inquisition. If a Captain plots to lead his Company against the Chapter Master... if the Chapter Master plots to lead the Chapter against the Emperor and His Imperium... the Honor Guard will execute their own charge for his crimes against the Emperor.

Edited by Bjorn Firewalker