IG vs. new Necrons Combat Patrol report

fabambina

So the day that the new Necron codex came out, my buddy and I decided to have a 400 point combat patrol game, based on the adepticon rules, but with a few tweaks. we wanted to have a fun game and try things out; he, the new stuff from the codex, and me, a new combat patrol list.

So, the lists:

Necrons:

Cryptek(warlord)

10 Immortals

2 Destroyers

3 Canoptek wraiths

IG:
PCS w/autocannon

30 man blob with Commisar (warlord)

5 stormtroopers (MT)

Wyvern

Psyker lvl 2

So, you may notice they are not strict to the usual CP rules, but, like i said, we were just messing around.

We played on a 4'x4' with plenty of terrain in the form of hills and imperial ruins and such. i set up and went first.

he hid behind terrain everywhere, so i just moved the blob forward to seize a nearby objective point in a shell crater then posted up there for the rest of the game. the PCS, psyker, and Wyvern stayed behind ruins and cover. 

he advanced as fast as possible. the wyvern and the PCS managed to wound the wraiths and whittle away at his immortals. he charged my blob with the wraiths, but i did 3 wounds on overwatch(!) and that was all they had left. charge failed due to death. first blood.

the blob was then free to concentrate fire on his immortals/cryptek along with the wyvern and PCS while he took potshots with the destroyers and hid every turn. i was losing some of the blob, and then all of the PCS, but by that time he had lost the immortals and then the cryptek. slay the warlord.

MT deep strike scattered into a misfire that resulted in a squad wipe, nothing contributed but sad horn noise and ridicule. the destroyers managed to take down the wyvern finally.

we had each managed to pick up two VP in the form of tactical objective cards. the game lasted until the 7th turn. without troops he could not hold a primary objective, was too cautious to expose his destroyers to dislodge my blob from one, and so i defeated him by a score of 7 to 2.

final thoughts: he was not ready for my blob's RoF. he was laughing at my s3 t3 lifestyle choice, but the volume of fire i put out with FRF/SRF, and rapid fire and a 30 man blob was just ridiculous and he was not ready for it. when his Wraiths went down on the charge he could not believe it. he thought his immortals would be 'immortal' for real with the cryptek to buff them, but he was not counting on the sheer number of shots i could put on him. he was very afraid of my PCS autocannon, and wyvern, but the blob did the most damage, and he was very dismissive of it. the wyvern was responsible for a whole 2 wounds before blowing up. it worked better as a target, a lure for the destroyers, allowing my blob to escape the heat until he had nothing that could contend with it.

he was not ready for orders. they gave me buffs every turn that seriously upgraded my shooting ability and movement (some).

ranged fire rules. the only assault that was even initiated, the only time one of his units got close enough, they went down on the massed fire of overwatch. overwatch! 6s to hit!

so, if i want barrage fire in a combat patrol, i will prolly not take a wyvern. one, most CP rules disallow them, and two, i would rather take more heavy weapons teams to do some more damage, although squishier.

also, blobs rule combat patrol. you use the orders wisely and you have a hard-hitting, somewhat mobile force that will not break with the right characters added. and your opponent may underestimate them. and that will be to his peril!

Surprised your wyvern did so little, normally mine are MVPs.

those indirect fire scatter die really killed me with his small unit concentrations. i was firing at the wraiths and destroyers every round and what few wounds i did score usually got saved. except two!

Blobs are really nasty. 

The biggest misstake is to underestimate standard weapons. And standard weapons are not boltguns. It is S3 weapons. Or at least it should be :)

When massed, like with your blob, it really is devastating. 

Furthermore, another aspect people tend to underestimate is our capabilities in close combat. I have bested space marines in close combat with 8 veterans vs 3 tactical. Sure I had more guys, but still... do not underestimate them. 

Archived