allies for my GK's

tomsev

So as stated in the topic, il look to start a small AM/ Guard army for my grey knights how ever i dont know guard very well, so im looking to you all for somme help... Im looking for about 800-1000 points of them to add if that helps, heres my list of gks

Librarian ml3

10 termies 2 psycannon 2 hammers

2 ndks teleporter, heavy psycannon, heavy incinerator, great sword....

That puts me at about 1000pts...

How would you bulk that out with guard?

Guard make for great allies to other Imperial armies where the additional numbers and big guns can often make a big difference. For the extra elite GK the ability to build cheap units that are still effective will be the greatest benefit. In particular your GK are an even more low model army so the numbers that a Platoon could add to your list would go a long way. They could hold friendly areas and objectives with some heavy weapons allowing your GK to press on to the cleansing for example.

There's also the option of adding armour to your list, of which Guard have a plethora of great choices! Perhaps some Fast Attack to support your GK would help? Sentinels are cheap but Hellhounds could easily keep up and take care of hordes for you so your GK can concentrate on the tough nuts.

Yeap i run a very elite army... But i love it!! And its a nemesis strike force so i have a full CAD for them... I also really like the sentinel models to so good to hear they are not shelf boys...

Armoured column sounds cool, supported by sentinels, never heard of the hellhounds...

Sentinels are useful for mobile heavy weapons, especially Scout Sentinels stalking in from table flanks to cause mischief. The Hellhound is a Fast medium tank with a long ranged and powerful flamer. Very good for crowd control, and it also has variants if you have more specific needs.

Oooooohhh tank with torrent flame thrower!!!! KEEEEWWWL!!!

What im really missing is long range anti tank and crowd control....

And ap2 outside of cc

Thanks for the very fast replies by the way !!

If you're wanting some AP2, then consider the following:

Steel Host

You'll have to add the following to get the full formation:

Leman Russ Command Tank + mook

3x Leman Russ

Hydra Flak Tank

Depending on your points, you'll have to keep them cheap but they get the awesome bonus of the command tank having a 6" Preferred Enemy bubble. They also keep your army very much an elite army. I recommend the following setup:

Command Executioner + Executioner Mook - Preferred Enemy is like adding a safety to their plasma shots and helps with those 1s to wound. It also adds that AP2 you're looking for in spades.

Leman Russ Battle Tank x2 - Keeps it cheap to save points and gives some long range dakka that is tough to ignore.

Leman Russ Eradicator - Helps you against those enemies you might normally have to dig out of cover. The Leman Russ version of a Heavy Incinerator.

Hydra Flak Tank - No Upgrades. Keep it cheap and just be happy when it helps you down a FMC or hurt a flyer.

Where is this formation from? Which book?

Ive got 1000pts to go towards this little project... Liking the command executioner ! Whats an executioner mook ?

I was already looking at the Hydra... Is it good?

It is the Steel Host from Sanctus Reach 1: The Red Waaaaghhh! (Note: Actual number of Gs and Hs may very)

I call the guy who has to go with a command tank a mook. He is another Executioner but, because he has to maintain coherency with the command tank, he'll always have the Preferred Enemy bonus. They also have tank orders that will let them either a) split fire b) fire and still pop smoke or c) go flat out farther. A good setup.

The hydra is bad. I wish I could say otherwise but it is. The formation requires one though. To little dakka that has no chance of one shooting any flyer out there so its forced to strip hull points. Plus, flyers that fear it will just shoot it when they come onto the table. Like I said, just be glad when it does something.

Lol OK got it dont expect anything from it ... So in total thats 5 tanks and a Hydra... Not bad at all... For how much in points?? Need to get that book then... Damn you wallet !!!

For the loadouts you recommend 2 executioners command tank and leppie... 2 basic battle tanks what sponson? And a heavy flame thrower on the other? What sponson and Hull weapons?

Our ordinance tanks shouldn't take sponsons, they snap fire if the main weapon fires.

I, personally, love the Executioner. 3-5 Plasma Cannon shots is just too great, especially with Preferred Enemy making them a bunch safer to use. Plus, you were asking about adding AP2 to your list so it fits.

The Eradicator doesn't have an actual template weapon but it does have a large blast that is AP4 and ignores cover, so it fulfills the same roll. Considering it is designed to murder light infantry, I'd give it as many heavy bolters as can fit.

I suggest getting Army Builder or Battlescribe and playing around with points and gear before purchasing anything. You can also magnetize your tanks fairly easily so that you can work with a bunch of options.

There's quite a bit of choice with sponsons, depending on what you need - all as informed decisions of course but as libris said on ordnance Russes the choice is a bit more skewed in favour of no sponsons due to the snap firing rule. Fortunately all Russ cannons are capable enough of working on their own without extra support, which also keeps costs down :)

Archived