Recon Squads with Bolters?

Emperor's Furor

What do you think of using recon squads with bolters? I was thinking of putting a squad of 10 in a rhino and out flanking them or perhaps just scouting them with the rhino and having them take up position in cover on/near an objective, perhaps giving the sergeant a combi melta in case some armour comes along.

My brother plays Iron Warriors and he's armed his with bolters. They are essentially artillery spotters but can also pick on a small target if needed. They are so low priority in the grand scheme of things it's tough to allocate resources to them but you ignore them at your peril.

I suppose the question is what does a mobile transported recon squad give you over say, a support squad? Not sure on points offhand but would be good to think about the options in terms of how the role can be performed.

Overall though, I quite like the idea - certainly over the shotgun variety!

Like 1/1000 said, the unit can often be overlooked by your opponent simply because it is difficult to justify allocating firepower towards them. They are certainly nothing to complain about in my books, they are just as good at doing things as a ten man tact squad but they have more toys and perks. The Shroud bombs make them more resilient in close combat and again discourages people from engaging them.

Just be careful not to turn them into a points sink which can be done very easily with melta, snipers etc.

Like 1/1000 said, the unit can often be overlooked by your opponent simply because it is difficult to justify allocating firepower towards them. They are certainly nothing to complain about in my books, they are just as good at doing things as a ten man tact squad but they have more toys and perks. The Shroud bombs make them more resilient in close combat and again discourages people from engaging them.

Just be careful not to turn them into a points sink which can be done very easily with melta, snipers etc.

Yeah was only planning on giving the sergeant a power weapon and a combi-melta.

Archived