Legion Centurion (85pts) [Power Armour]

····Consul [Chaplain]

Legion Centurion (105pts) [Jump Pack (20pts), Power Armour]

····Consul [Primus Medicae]

Maloghurst the Twisted (140pts) [Master of the Legion]

+ Troops (790pts) +

Legion Tactical Squad (260pts) [19x Legion Tactical Space Marines ]

····Legion Tactical Sergeant [Power Weapon ]

Legion Tactical Support Squad (160pts) [Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, Legion Sergeant, 4x Legion Space Marines, Volkite Calivers ]

Reaver Attack Squad (370pts) [Jump Packs , Power Fist , 2x Power Weapon , 14x Reavers]

+ Elites (45pts) +

Apothecarion Detachment (45pts) [Legion Apothecary]

+ Heavy Support (835pts) +

Legion Predator Strike Armoured Squadron (420pts)

····Legion Predator Tank (140pts) [Lascannons, Machine Spirit]

Legion Spartan Assault Tank (295pts)

Legion Vindicator (120pts)

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [XVI: Sons of Horus]

Created with BattleScribe (http://www.battlescribe.net)

So this is a quite direct approach: everything on the field except the reavers outflanking if needed. Maloghurst, the chaplain and the apothecary in the tactical blob and the primus medicae with the reavers. Predators tanks split their fire between tanks and other stuff with the machine spirit rule and with 10 lasers shots (4 twin linked) 12 autocannon shots one demolisher (i could find the space for the laser destroyer) and 10 volkites i should put out enough firepower (and fury of the legion of course!).

What do you think?

Please remove the individual points costs from the lists - total cost of the unit is okay (and preferred, it allows the commentators to judge according to the value of the unit without mental arithmetic trying to remember/cross reference points). It's something that GW legal team frowns upon for fansites for reasons. 

I'm not such a fan of the 2 big blobs style of lists, I find that they're too easily countered by more maneuverable style lists, as well as the abundance of S8 AP3 running around to purposefully counter that while more maneuverable armies like RG, NL and AL can isolate and destroy. I can't really offer much information or suggestion otherwise either, other than "don't do that" - they're incredibly binary and either tend to win big, or get destroyed - and as more people are getting wise to the "throw everything in their face" style tricks as the game matures, they're getting taken less and less.

I can also state that they're really, really boring to play.

You have basically 2 scoring units in 2000pts. Unfortunately, very few missions are about pure army killing power, most of them are to score something. Which means that tarpitting you or crippling your deathstar with more tailored deathstar will guarantee a win against you.

I would suggest the following:

1. I know that Spartan is crazy cool, I'd like to field it myself. But there is just no place for it under 3000pts. Instead you could take second blob of 20 marines.

2. 4 volkite calivers against 3+ is no firepower at all. I am about to try seekers with combi-plasmas, it will be crazy expensive but it effectively means -1 unit for your opponent the turn the seekers are in the range.

3. Maloghurst has a banner, so he grants fearless in 6". You can drop chaplain completely. Of course Maloghurst is support character, do not issue or accept challenges with him, he will be pulped by pretty much any opponent.

4. 1 power fist and 2 power weapons is not enough to utilize the Reavers to their full potential. Check out what kind of armies your opponents have, take either more power swords if they have 3+, or take a pack of power axes if they have 2+. Reavers will not survive, but they will be able to cripple pretty much any deathstar.

5. Artificer armours for sergeants are usually a very good idea. AA+AP2 weapon and characters will be afraid of you.

I understand that me forgetting to add that this is a list for 40k games is a huge miss! So yes, i lack in supervalid units, but i can keep objectives in the deployment zone with the vehicles

I agree with the chaplain, in fact i'll drop it and buy some pw for the reavers and maybe a second cc weapon for the infantry blob.

In my game group i will face imperial guard orks and dark and non dark eldar. The only other player who plays 30k is building a mechanicum army. How are their ts (i really can't figure out how a mechanicum army is made!)?

Oh yea that actually changes everything. In this case, 20 man bolter blob can work pretty fine. So I will change my recommendation to:

1. Before you invest into Spartan, check how many haywire weapons your opponents can field. And once again, it is a point price of a full tactical blob, so you could actually not drop the Chaplain and join him to second tactical blob instead of Spartan.

2. I've just checked, volkite calivers you're taking, they are Heavy 2. Instead, you could take Heavy Support squad with Volkite Culverins, they are heavy 4, which is scary rate of fire against any kind of xenos.

And Mechanicum... There are many different ways to build that army, but some of them are complete murder for Legion marines, they have high T and good armour saves, so again Culverins and lascannons are your friend, but tactical squads are moving to the support roles mostly, because Mechanicum can maim them really fast.

Right, against DE i will drop the spartan since he plays a couple o haywire suicide squad.

I was willing to play a unit of cataphractii, but sinxe the do not ds usually i' forced to play abaddon and that cost a lot (he is good though). What about them inside a land raider?

Against the mechanicum, since they have high T, why not play 2 units of heavy support squad with culverins instead of the spartan and the vindicator? I'll have a total oh 80 s6 shots up to 45" awayaway, plus the lasers and the autocannons!

I was willing to play a unit of cataphractii, but sinxe the do not ds usually i' forced to play abaddon and that cost a lot (he is good though). What about them inside a land raider?

You do not have to DS them. I'm running them 10-man strong, 2 reapers, attached Primus Medicae in Cataphractii. That is your 100% guarantee to hold home objective (unless you play against Vindicator or Medusa spam). And they cost only 400pts with couple of chainfists and claws.

But as you already know that your opponent has haywire suicide squads, why do you still think about Land Raider?

Against the mechanicum, since they have high T, why not play 2 units of heavy support squad with culverins instead of the spartan and the vindicator? I'll have a total oh 80 s6 shots up to 45" awayaway, plus the lasers and the autocannons!

That is true, they are actually very good. But they are so good, you may lose your friends smile.png

Nah: the guy who plays DE usually level my army to the ground with around 70 poisoned shots (and the haywire shots of course) and the imperial guard, well, they shoot a lot (and don't move). At least i have assault troopers along the shooty guys!

I've an unrelated question: using the power of the machine spirit on a vehicle squadron means that EACH of the vehicles in the squadron can shoot to a different target (so up to three different additional targets, one for each vehicle?)

Yea then you can freely take Volkite Culverins. But you mentioned that another your opponent is guard who just shoots, so you have to think a little bit how will you fight long-range barrage weapons. Check out the rules for squadrons, maybe it will be better for you to split predators into more than one HeavySupport slot if it is not occupied by anything else. And of course you have to think how will you protect your predators from haywire weapons.

Obviously the best way is just to try it, but this hobby is to expensive to go that path...

As for machine spirit, logically I would say yes, but you have to agree with your opponents.

Archived