trying to put together blob/shadow sword/knight

bozo69pd

Trying to put a list together for 1500 points...

I have never had a single game as AM. I usually play CSM. I picked up the AM book when it came out thinking I could have some allies of convenience only to find them taken from me. I think its about time I try them out though.

Models I got:

CCS

2 primaris psykers (I'm thinking biomancy and divination?)

1 priest

50 guardsmen

PCS with 4x flamers and poweraxe

master of ordinance

astropath

5x rough riders

shadow sword

knight paladin

vindicaire assassin (the snipey one)

Bastion

I also have 5 more converted models that can be used as anything (more psykers priests etc.) I would also be very very interested in buying conscripts as I have a fun concept for them I'd like to do, but how many are useful? If I combine the guardsmen into one blob does 1 priest benefit the whole unit? Can I combine the PCS into the blob? Would 1 blob be the way to go? Are Lord Commanders any good? How about the Death Mask of Oliantus?

Alot of questions I know and I am a AM noob, so I really appreciate your help. Thanks.

Welcome to the Guard bozo smile.png I'm moving your topic to the main Guard section as it's more about Guard in general than lists so you'd get more help in the barracks. You've got the good startings of a Guard force, but there is a lot in the codex to play with :D

The Company Command Squad is good, especially if you want to make the most out of orders which will be useful for an infantry heavy list. A single priest will benefit the entire unit as they function as one, but only Infantry Squads can combine (no PCS, SWS etc). Blobs can be useful but as part of a plan only, otherwise you're limiting your options.

Last but not least do you have a colour scheme for your Guard and any models painted up?

Have them half painted. I'll work on posting some pics later. This is Traitor Guard though, so you may not like my infected Nurgle theme :)

I was almost considering getting vraks or IA XIII for a lost and the damned army, but I like the idea of a freshly wayward force. Tainted against their will by a Nurgle epidemic their only options were execution by inquisition, or to flee into the eye. They are not allies of chaos though. Just some guys trying to survive.

I figure the main goal behind the blob is to hang behind an ADL or barricade holding a major objective. Some conscripts in the bastion can hold another objective (can 1 unit of conscripts hang out by themselves?) The shadow sword, Knight, and rough riders will hang back shooting (maybe charge the rough riders at some scouts or something) then go grab some objectives towards the end of the game (whoever is still alive that is).

2 platoons, 100 conscripts and 2 commissars. Sea of bodies around your superheavies to keep those nasty meltaweapons at bay. Should the moral fail (it will) commissars keep them from running. Add aegis defence line and they are actually very hard to get rid of unless one assaults them... and even then it's going to take a while.

When you add priests you can't choose to go to ground. Units can be surprisingly resilient with that and 'get back in the fight' is awesome.

One thing to keep in mind is that superheavies will attract a lot of fire and that given enough punishment they will go down... to make them last longer you could have 1 or 2 tech priests with servitors running behind it repairing hullpoints on 2+.

Archived