Solar Auxilia, Allied Detachment

Frostmourne

Morning/ Evening gents

After picking up Book 4, and reading through the Rules for these guys, i am really happy that i can finally put a human element to my Elite Ultramarine force. I like to see some Variety in my army. 

So, whats a good way to spend... say 500 points in Solar Auxilia to go with a Pride of the Legion style force. 

Either a Lord Marshal in a Storm Section inside a Dracosan, And maybe some Leman Russ Support. 

Or go with some Bodies (I dont want meatshield, as i hate the waste involved) behind some Aegis lines and a decent Command Chain, with some Leman Russ Support? Any thoughts? 

It'd cost a bit more than 500 points, but howabout a tank commander (can be taken as mandatory HQ if not primary detachment), stick him in a Russ or Malcador varient (I'd suggest the Valdor if you're light on anti-tank), and a storm section in Dracosan? Nice punchy armoured force. It would also fit an elite-style army.

If you want to use Auxilia with your Ultramarines force, you should change your RoW. One of the limitations of Pride is that you can't take allied detachment.

Also, regarding the topic, I'd take Storm Section as they're cheaper than Astartes equivalent, but dish out the same anount of firepower. And use them the same way as tactical support squad.

Also lasrifle section with aegis(as you can take one per section) for home scoring and maybe an artillery piece.

Also, regarding the topic, I'd take Storm Section as they're cheaper than Astartes equivalent, but dish out the same amount of firepower. And use them the same way as tactical support squad.

I'd stick with the regular lasrifle section with blast chargers or rapier multilasers.  Bit more versatile but so many wounds to last the match despite the lowered bs.

Also, regarding the topic, I'd take Storm Section as they're cheaper than Astartes equivalent, but dish out the same amount of firepower. And use them the same way as tactical support squad.

I'd stick with the regular lasrifle section with blast chargers or rapier multilasers. Bit more versatile but so many wounds to last the match despite the lowered bs.

Yeah, Lasrifle section with their str6 upgrade becomes really versatile. I just enjoy shooting pew-pew martian rayguns)

I'd stick with the regular lasrifle section with blast chargers or rapier multilasers. Bit more versatile but so many wounds to last the match despite the lowered bs.
Yeah, Lasrifle section with their str6 upgrade becomes really versatile. I just enjoy shooting pew-pew martian rayguns)

Actually I was running numbers, and the upgrade doesn't kill more MEQs than double tapping or using the collimator. The only time it's remotely useful is against high toughness models like the AdMech. And even then, you're only stripping off 1-2 wounds on something like the Castellax.

• 3 weeks later...

Something I like using Solar Auxilia with are those Rites of War which prevent Fortifications from being selected; their Special Fortificaitons still allows reasonably cheap access to Comms Relays for the reroll without interfering with the legion forces.

Finished up reading book 4 and brought this up, and it was shot down, as the special fortifications rule only applies to your primary detachment, not allied detachments. 

Command Squads and enginseer squads can get Tempest Grenade Launchers which have Haywire shots.

They have very little access to Melta.

In regards to tanks; most are blast, and LR Vanquishers are underpowered and even more expensive than 40k. If you were using Lords of War then a case could be made for a Stormhammer which can point up to 4 Lascannons, 2 Shot TL Battlecannons and its main gun at the target, while others bring Strength D plus a Lascannon or 2.

Yeah Sciran is better option but guard don't have it

In 30k I like haywire over melta, so trying spam as much as you can could help. But what ROW u running with NL? This could offer some insight as what you need guard to do because if you going with there unquie ROW than infiltrating 3 terror sq make one for AT, also going pie plate heavy with infiltraing forvr could backfire.

Archived