Having trouble getting to 2k

Frostmourne

Hey, 

I have been doing lists for most of the day, and its getting me fed up and frustrated. 

I am finding myself hamstrung by some campaign restraints. 

In the campaign i will be playing for the next 6 months, my HQ wins an extra 5 points for every MC, Vehicles or Warlord he kills. So i need to make sure he is killing things, and can get a decent assault out. 

So my list is 

Praetor (Yes, he HAS to be a Praetor for the Campaign)
-Paragon Blade
-Digital Lasers
-Master Crafted
-Combat Augment Array

Command Squad
-+2 Guys
- 5 Combat Shields
- 3 Power Weapons
- 2 Power Fists

Land Raider is, well, we all know. 200 and 50

Then i have 2 barebones Tactical Squads with Rhinos

Also have a Master of Signals 
-AA

With Heavy Dev Squad with Lascannons
-Augory Scanner

Deredeo Dreadnought
-Aiolos Missile System
-Armoured Ceramite

Then a Sicaran
-Lascannons

I dont feel as though this list is very secure, or very interesting to be fair.

Im willing to drop almost everything apart from the Praetor, the Deredeo (As i love it) And the Sicaran, (As i love that too)

Any thoughts, i need this decided for Friday. 

Your list is composed of good gimmicky units, but are easily destroyed if you don't get 1st turn.

Lascannon heavy support squad is a waste of points, I'd trade it for 3 las destroyer arrays (unless you play IF and get tank hunter) and stick the MoS in it. Way better with twin linked ordinance shots at ap1 IMHO

What armies are you facing? Was it just Eldar? Iirc

If you are, I'd take a master of the forge with a power axe, rad grenades, termie armor, cyber familiar, and a cortex controller. Take any number of Thallax as his rule allows and stick him in the raider with the command squad/praetor. He'll give it survivability, help in cc, and his thallax are good for AT and ignoring jink saves.

You are also lacking much in the anti infantry section other than the praetor squad and the Aiolos missile launcher. Twin Kheres Mortis dread does great but you can do a lot with a Scorpius.

Also, if you can, sink points into armored ceramite on your Land Raider. You'll be up against 40k armies (iirc) so nothing like neutering their Melta Capabilites and laugh as your LR's are more resilient than the 40k counterparts.

If you don't feel that the list is beefy enough (you also have like 230 points loose to play with in this list, right?) maybe go Pride of the Legion instead and roll with Terminators and Vets in spades.

10 man Tac Vets in Rhinos are already inherently better than a 10 Man Tac Squad in a Rhino and while they cost more, they have more flexibility and can take squad wide Melta Bombs. Especially since you'll be running Generic Legion rules until the Ultra Book is out so you could potentially double dip them ie: take Stubborn army-wide and take Sniper/Furious Charge/Fearless on the Vets.

Terminators are, well, terminators.

Are you allowed to take book 4 relics? I read in another topic of yours that you just got it [the book] so having a Moritat with Dual Serpentas and the Phase Walker or Chaplain and VSH accompanying your choppy block would help with their durability once outside of their Ride. Even just slapping the Warp Shunt Field onto your Preator or other Support HQ choice (Primus, Libby, etc) would be decent points sinks.

Iv just got back from a Hobby evening with the Organiser and sorted a few things out. 

Yes i can use the Relics from book 4, and potentially a small 500 point force of them to make appearances in larger games. 

Im not really looking at taking another HQ choice, apart from maybe the Moritat as that amount of Cheese is just what i need to taunt a few smarmy players. 

Point conceeded on the Lascannon Squad though, and if they go, the Master of Signals goes as well, as there isnt a decent place for him to go thats thematic. 

So thats points saved. 

Slips, as you may remember, i was running this as a Pride of the Legion list, but found that i couldnt fit ALOT in it, obviously, and i felt that limited some of the 30k essence, which was annoying. 

But Vet tactical Squads are definitely the right way to go. Splitting the points from the Dev Squad between the two tacticals that should boost them to appropriate levels roughly, maybe some to spare, the points from the Master of Signals can go into something else though. 

Increasing the 200-300 points spare to about 400. And i would like to spend that on something that 40k doesnt have. I would like this army to stand out on the table and be different. 

With only 2 troops id say grab a seeker squad of combi plas death with a scouting vigilator for some turn 1 back field nuking... Or 6 dikbikes with 2 volkites to really screw with the 40k mindset... Or a typhon as nothing says good bye like a supersize ap1 pie plate...or a contemptor talon with kheres cannons and missle launchers to ruin just about anythings day

Take Armoured Spearhead through the Praetor (Rites of war)

Drop the Heavy weapon teams replace them with a Squadron of Predators

Entire force is mechanised, tank shock everything you can (its amazing how many Marines units will fail a Leadership check at -1) and get in their faces.

With only 2 troops id say grab a seeker squad of combi plas death with a scouting vigilator for some turn 1 back field nuking... Or 6 dikbikes with 2 volkites to really screw with the 40k mindset... Or a typhon as nothing says good bye like a supersize ap1 pie plate...or a contemptor talon with kheres cannons and missle launchers to ruin just about anythings day

Cannot deploy characters with Infiltrate rule with those who do not have infiltrate rule. Also, really? Being childish? And Kheres cannons are kinda *bad* with the Deredeo. They're very middle of the road kind of bad, rather than bad bad, but bad compared to good units, like Deredeo. Havoc Missiles are kind of poor too.

Typhon is about my go to option for anyone who have enough points to run one (with Armoured Ceramite, of course). Failing that, Fire Raptors, Deredeo's, Achilles-Alpha, Whirlwind Scorpius, Furious Charge Veterans with a few power weapons, Drop Pods and Meltabombs in an Anvillus.

Slips, I am running with Furious Charge for now and see how we go. I want my Praetor and Command Squad wrecking face.

I have my Deredeo now and love it.

A rough 1500 point list would be

Praetor with trimmings

Command squad of 5 with trimmings

Land raider

2 bet squads in rhinos

Deredeo with missiles and Autocanon

Sicaran with Lascannons

Scorpius

I think that's abou right.

I'm not sure if I included recon marines in there r not for a lol

Archived