A 'great' all around Chaos CSM HQ: Starting from scratch

Prot

Prot, are you expecting people to bring optimized lists or flavor lists? 

Good question... both? neither?

I feel 'trapped' when I play chaos. What I liked to play just doesn't doesn't work anymore. It hasn't since 3rd edition and it's probably the principle reason I play them so rarely now.

I like "Chaos Marines" and that's probably the weakest angle to take. Never liked daemons, never liked the stuff way outside of human physiology. Possessed are okay to me as they are still marines to me. But the furthest I went was a Daemon Prince.

I need to be competitive or it will be boring.

I just had a game with the list propsed somewhere deep in this thread... and I lost so bad my opponent apologized (which was embarrasing) and said it wasn't fun for him either. lol

I did pull out 750 of Necrons and completely pants him after that (I did not use the decurion) but that's another story....

Optimized? In a word: no. Because I don't want to use anything with a tail. (aside from vehicles)

Flavor? No, because pure flavor just has me packing my stuff up in 3 turns.

My opponents will be a mix. Half will go purely for the win, but not to the extent of "Knights" and broken ally builds. Just 'codex strong', I guess you could call it.

After my big loss I built a dark angel list, that seemed marginally better. I brought out a bunch of Crimson Slaughter models I wanted to actually paint up.... Possessed and my 6-7 Warp Talon models. Then I gave my head a shake and had to ask what I would do with these models? Are they worth painting? Would they ever see table time in the current codex design?

I tried to make several more lists: Balestar Sorc in Termie with Termie squad? Possessed  in rhino's with 'cheap' CSM support? It all felt awkward, and a little too pricey for 750.... I thought of formations, Helcult? Cultsits are so mediocre in today's Xenos spam meta.... 

As you can imagine, I did a big circle of ideas and eventually put it all away. lol

In my experience, if you are going to play in a tournament environment play competitively. It is entirely appropriate and acceptable, the only caveat is not to be a jerkface while you do it. 

I do not know if you have seen this list yet? I have it fluffed as a chapter of loyalists turned renegade due to tech heresy and bad politics. They invented things, which is a big no no amongst the Admech, and they do not respect the Inquisition. The two organizations maneuvered them into a penitence crusade against Hive Fleet Leviathan. You can imagine how that went. I kitbashed a bunch of tall scaletm  dudes with Tyranid bits hanging off them like some savage space trophies, and gives indication of them going a bit crazy. 

On the table they wreck face through mass firepower, but require some finesse to use as most of the units are fairly fragile. 

Do note:hate the Heldrake Model. It's really gross, wonky , and does not give me the dreaded dragon look it is meant to inspire. So, I am going to make my own. This also applies to that bloody sicaran which will be built like this. Later, I will make an interceptor out of an Hell Talon. 

So, optimization does not necessarily mean you cannot be creative in an artistically romantic sense. Look at me, running an army that clearly threatens our resident champion and forces him to play hard to win. I have no doubt it is possible to make a list out of our codex which includes items from IA13 and allows you to field a strong CC character. 

It is up to you to find out what, though. 

Archived