Eagle Eyes Land Raider -- Work resumed on exterior!

Good question. Depends how picky you are about the way it fits around the sponson. You can add everything after it's built with the exception of those sponson weapons. He's designed it so the sponson's supposed to attach to the side plate of the heavy armor kit, not the LR itself. He told me you can actually cut down the plate and to sort of make a hole for the weapon, but it won't look quite as good. I kind of want to try it on my other raider anyway because I like it so much. It might look goofy but I'm not sure how much.

Jeff buddy any chance you could post a brief list of all items; pigments glue brushes paints for your interior?

I'm about to start my achillies alpha and im going to be making my iron warriors a dedication to patience and skill like that which you have

Hmmmm. That sounds like a good blog post. I guess the techniques and items I used were the same ones that I used on the Queen and it's pretty well documented. The main thing was just layering in the metallics first, and I used the usual Citadel suspects like Leadbelcher, Ironbreaker and Runefang Steel. I washed with Agrax, and the lighter metals were mostly sponged on this interior, some drybrushed as well. Then I laid in with the pigments. I use an off brand and I don't have the sheet with their names, but I use a mix of a mid-brown and a fairly reddish rust color. I fix that with mineral spirits and from there I sponge on more metallics to get some depth. The oil spots are Future floor polish mixed with some old Citadel brown ink (came in the tall, skinny pot) which makes for a superb gloss greasy brown.

The only glue I used on this sucker was the excellent Tamiya Extra Thin which I'm sort of loving lately. As for brushes, with dirty work like this I use old GW drybrushes for most of it, bits of pluck foam for sponging, and then I use a Windsor and Newton Series 7, size 2 for most smaller detail work. Love that thing.

Not sure what else you're looking for, but feel free to ask if you're not sure about anything.

Good question. Depends how picky you are about the way it fits around the sponson. You can add everything after it's built with the exception of those sponson weapons. He's designed it so the sponson's supposed to attach to the side plate of the heavy armor kit, not the LR itself. He told me you can actually cut down the plate and to sort of make a hole for the weapon, but it won't look quite as good. I kind of want to try it on my other raider anyway because I like it so much. It might look goofy but I'm not sure how much.

Cheers fella, I'm tempted to pick a set up for my rescued land raider. It wouldn't be too difficult to pry the sponsons off. If your Queen Bee is anything to go by this should be a fantastic tank. 

Awesome job so far!  I've never bothered painting the interior of my tanks, so it's always impressive to see it done.  Are you going to go for magnets on the doors or did you model hinges (couldn't tell from the pics)?

Awesome job so far!  I've never bothered painting the interior of my tanks, so it's always impressive to see it done.  Are you going to go for magnets on the doors or did you model hinges (couldn't tell from the pics)?

I haven't messed with the doors yet. On my other Raider, I did hinges with wire and added magnets. I'm sure I'll do so on these as well, but I haven't yet. They're almost too strong on my other one, so this time around I'll probably use one magnet and then a strip of metal on the other side. It would probably be easier that way as well. We'll see. 

• 3 months later...

Alright, now that the B & C is back (yaaaaaaay) I can finally post a couple pics to prove I'm still alive and hobbying. I got distracted with starting a Zombicide set but I can't show those here. I've also got the Land Raider itch again, so I sat down and finally did some more work on prepping it for the Loricatus Heavy Armor panels. Once I did that, I figured I had to finish assembling it. I keep forgetting how much of a pain the LR kit can be. You have to do it in a certain way and partially paint along the way, but I find that a difficult way to work, personally.

gallery_74115_8912_195726.jpg

Here she is in pieces. I blu-tacked the track bits down while I put a spray undercoat and then roughed on the drybrushed metal. I'll keep them like this for now and weather them on the tank. You'll notice I didn't bother spraying the areas that will be covered with the Loricatus armor, since they'll be, well... Covered.

gallery_74115_8912_1298230.jpg

This is what she's looking like right now. I'll be going over the sprayed bits soon, but for now this is just to get a good foundation so I could get it assembled.

More coming soon, hobby time notwithstanding.

• 1 year later...

I found the old thread! Necroing this one because I wanted people to see the interior pics.

I've finally, after being distracted by a million other projects, gotten back to this bad boy. I'll dump some pics because there's not a ton to say about it yet.

gallery_74115_8912_1456962.jpg

I had to reprime a few parts. I'm not used to working with resin and some of the paint had chipped off the extra armor bits. These days I only use Stynlrez primer from Badger.

gallery_74115_8912_1064168.jpg

I simple base coat back on with Waaagh! Flesh and some Leadbelcher, but only applied in a few spots for now.

gallery_74115_8912_603705.jpg

Some Typhus Corrosion where the grime would have built up a lot. Really just using this for texture, as you'll see soon.

gallery_74115_8912_558290.jpg

Painted green back over the Typhus, leaving just a little showing through. I feathered in some of the transitions, but there will be a lot of weathering soon so I'm looking for a rough appearance.

gallery_74115_8912_1189063.jpg

Heavy wash of Agrax Earthshade on everything. Notice how it really picks out that texture.

gallery_74115_8912_72178.jpg

And now a heavy drybrush with Warboss Green. I left more paint on than usual and used a coarse boar's hair brush to get a nice layer of textures. I'll be edge highlighting next, so I want some of this to come through that as scratching and rough patches. Only half the tank is done so far. It takes quite a while... I did a similar technique on my Storm Talon but that didn't take nearly as long.

Loving the way this Loricatus heavy armor looks. Really changes the whole feel of the Land Raider, in my opinion.

Looking really cool, this. I really like the idea of building texture with Typhus Corrosion.

And I know it's donkey's years ago that you posted it, but the servo skull and his existential musings put a big smile on my face.

Haha! I forgot I wrote that bit. I doubt anyone will really see this interior but I only blue-tacked the doors on, just in case. You can see it through the front but that's it right now. 

Did the movie 'Aliens', in which images from individual marines' helmet-mounted cameras are sent to monitors in their APC's interior for their platoon leader's view, inspire the bank of monitors in the Land Raider? Does your Redeemer serve as a command vehicle, or do you believe all Land Raiders should have such equipment as standard?

That bit comes in the kit, but yes I assumed each monitor corresponds to one of the squad members. 

And no, it's not a command vehicle as such, but as a mobile fortress it's got a communication suite that would allow any commander riding within it to remain connected to the battlefield events. So in essence it could act as a forward command, but no more or less than any other Land Raider, most likely. My chapter is rather obsessed with data and vid-feeds, so it fits right into the concept. I think what you're getting at, though, is whether this one is special in some way. The answer is not really. I think every Land Raider in the chapter would be similar. 

Archived