Phoenix spear and combat shield

spu00sed

I'm getting back into making models for my emperors children army and I'm thinking about making a command squad. The chance of me getting a game with them is small, but I still want them to be legal.

Can you pair a phoenix spear (or any other two handed weapon, with a combat shield(or even a boarding shield).

I can't see anything that says you can't use a two handed weapon with a shield.

Thanks for the help.

You are better off taking it with Boarding Shields per the points. 

And rightly or wrongly, the rules do not support taking Power Spears on Command Squads, as it requires the Character unit type, something that even the Standard Bearer lacks. Instead, they have the Sworn Warriors special rule which allows them to issue and accept challenges. However, that does not allow them access to Character only options/rules (like Power Spears, the +1 Initiative in a challenge. It's unclear how it interacts with Martial Pride). 

Sorry.

You are better off taking it with Boarding Shields per the points.

And rightly or wrongly, the rules do not support taking Power Spears on Command Squads, as it requires the Character unit type, something that even the Standard Bearer lacks. Instead, they have the Sworn Warriors special rule which allows them to issue and accept challenges. However, that does not allow them access to Character only options/rules (like Power Spears, the +1 Initiative in a challenge. It's unclear how it interacts with Martial Pride).

Sorry.

I'm pretty sure a Command Squad can take Phoenix Spears (unless it has been addressed in an errata or disallowed in one of the red books. I only have the big black books). The squad's Unit Type is listed as 'Infantry (see Special Rules).' The Chosen Warriors special rule says, 'All models in the Legion Command Squad are Characters and may accept and issue challenges.' The Phoenix Spear entry says, 'Any Character model with the the Legiones Astartes (Emperor's Children) special rule with access to a power fist as an option, may instead take a phoenix power spear for the same cost.' Unless I'm totally miss interpreting this, it seems pretty clear that they can take the spears. They are Characters and Characters that can take a power fist can instead choose to take a phoenix spear.

Again, if this has been addressed in an errata or one of the red books sorry for my ignorance smile.png

Edit: Has anyone tried to get an 'official' answer from FW?

kizzdougs, this discussion came up recently regarding Night Lord Chainglaives as well.  Unfortunately, the rule for Chosen Warriors actually reads "A model with this special rule may issue and accept challenges as if it had the Character type.  Note that this does not allow a model with this special rule to use any other rules associated with the Character type" (HH:LACAL p80).  

Now, that being said - I would still play with someone who did this, because I think it's cool.  But it must be recognized that this is not strictly legal.  

kizzdougs, this discussion came up recently regarding Night Lord Chainglaives as well.  Unfortunately, the rule for Chosen Warriors actually reads "A model with this special rule may issue and accept challenges as if it had the Character type.  Note that this does not allow a model with this special rule to use any other rules associated with the Character type" (HH:LACAL p80).  

Now, that being said - I would still play with someone who did this, because I think it's cool.  But it must be recognized that this is not strictly legal.  

Ah, so it was changed in the 'red book' (LACAL). Thanks for clarifying that :)

while i personally don't have a problem (these guys are the very best soldiers within the legions, worthy of protecting the Primarchs even).

Hkwever, as it stands, this being a RAW thread and forum, my answer takes the rules from the Red books.

The BRB states that codex trumps rulebook when there is a clash of rules, but the only clash of rules is that Chosen Warriors allows models that are not actually characters challenge as if they were. Nothing esle, and explicitly calls out that they benefit from no other rules that characters do.

They can't even Heroic Intervention IIRC.

The red books contain a ton of stealth errata and are the most recent version of the rules so take precedence.

No worries, kizzdougs!  There were a lot of little changes like that in the LACAL/LAICL.  [shamelessplug] The most up to date complete list building is always available in the Horus Heresy Battlescribe catalogues.  ;) [/shamelessplug]

Still not sure why among a legion noted for perfection, a dedicated CC unit noted as being the Primarchs personal bodyguard are only WS4. When I get around to finishing my homebrews these become a proper CC unit, with WS5 and may sweep on the charge.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived