Role-confused squads

Well, today I had a game (don't all die of shock now)... just to change things up a bit, I ran the following list;

Canoness

Priest (Eviscerator, Litanies, combi-melta)

Priest (combi-melta)

5 Battle Sisters (2 Flamers, MM immolator w/dozer blade)

5 Battle Sisters (2 Flamers)

8 Dominions (Combi-melta, 4 Meltas, Repressor)

5 Retributors (4 Heavy Bolters)

Exorcist (Storm Bolter)

Everything performed about as you'd expect, except for the Dominions. It was myself and a Necron player (Orikan, 30 Immortals, 6 Lychguard w/swords, Monolith) vs Tyranids and Chaos Marines. The 'nid and 'cron players are both new to the game, but the Chaos player is a long-term player.

I put both Priests in with the Dominions. They scouted forward and failed to destroy the enemy (Chaos Marines) land raider. The large unit of Possessed inside led by a Chaos Lord with Sigil, Lightning Claw and Power Fist.

Both of us thought that the unit would chew through the Dominions in moments, especially with wounds from challenges carrying over now.

The Dominions lost four models to shooting. Then the assault came and, of course, I accepted the Challenge with my Sister Superior and got rerolls to wounds and saves. The Sister Superior tanked two wounds on her Shield of Faith, dying to the third and allowing two to carry over. The Possessed rolled Shred, then failed to kill a single Sister. The Sisters killed a Possessed, then the Eviscerator Priest killed two more. The next turn, the Lord killed the Priest and a Sister, with the Possessed rolling an extra attack and then failing to kill anything. The 'nid Warrior (Boneswords) who joined the combat also whiffed his attacks.

Turn three, the Chaos lord fails to kill the Priest, and the Possessed roll power weapons... and neither they nor the Warrior can kill anything again.

Statistically unlikely, but insanely fun to gloat about. One more turn and my Repressor would have rammed the Land Raider to death, too.

Other highlights of the game would be my Canoness killing the Red Terror with her bolter and some rather nervous Immortals surrounded by a horde of Genestealers...

lol. Zing.

The story was simple; the Sisters, being of the Order of the Sacred Tome, were defending a dig site from a Tyranid incursion when a Chaos Marine warband took the opportunity for a raid, seeking the psi-fragment the Sisters had unearthed. Hard pressed, the Sisters held their ground when they were suddenly reinforced by warriors from an unknown Order. Little did they know that their reinforcements were Necrons, their identities concealed by their master Orikan's technomancy until the Monolith arrived, conveying its master and his personal guard. Conducting battlefield triage from her position with the retributors, Canoness Ecrire deemed the apparently nonhostile Necrons to be a lower priority threat.

Archived