Ichiban Brushes :)

They're very, very good. You won't be disappointed. I've backed all their Kickstarters - and they give a really good quality of brush. I haven't used W&N in ages, so can't directly compare though.

Grip is lovely, retain their point -  just what you want!

Thanks for the info - I'm just really hesitant about ordering any brushes online, as you can't examine them prior to purchase.  I've rejected even some W&N series 7 because of a stray bristle or inability to hold a point - and even sometimes I'll get a "good" (non-premium) brush that seems satisfactory until I start to use it.  I just had to toss a brand new Citadel brush today because it held a point in the store, but not when I started to paint with it (can't use the expensive W&N's for every task!)

I was fortunate to finally find a couple of very nice Series 7 brushes in an art store last weekend while travelling and I'm looking forward to using them - but my local gaming store never seems to have good brushes in stock (they're constantly "sold out" of Reaper size 0 Kolinskys).

Wow, I wish I could get them for those prices, I'd use them all the time!

I bought a couple Series 7 Minis (size 0 and 00) and I think I paid about $28 US each.  I accepted a bit of markup because it was a local retailer, but that's still more than twice what you're paying.

I love my set, hold a point well. the best feature, IMO, is you can store the tip inside the handle. Keeps the tip safe and is extremely convenient for traveling. They even come with a nice storage pouch.

the balance takes a little getting used to though

Very well inside. There were a few that didn't when first produced, and they replaced them. I believe they mentioned they have something now to make sure it doesn't happen.

I've been using mine regularly, and they're as snug as I'm want them to be.

Agree on the balance comment - they're more like a pen in some ways than a brush, so it's different to get used to holding. I really do like them though!

I've been hearing nothing but good things about R&C brushes. I know their service is excellent, because they respond on Twitter within minutes if you mention them. I think I even saw somewhere one of the owners personally handles PR and customer service. While not incredibly rare with model and art companies, you won't find that with W&N. Can't say a lot about Ichiban, but I feel like the balance issue would bother me.

The odd balance is due to the weight and relative shortness of the brush. The barrel is all metal, making them significantly heavier than say a GW brush.  I backed them on kickstarter on a whim and got used to them quickly. If you think the weight might be an issue try their Pro Studio set. Very nicely balanced, comfortable for long sessions, double ended makes blending much easier. Comes with a fairly nice brush rack to boot.

The Rosemary & Co 33's appear to be watercolor brushes, not acrylic brushes.  There's a difference - I inadvertently bought a W&N 00 watercolor brush a while back and was disappointed in its performace.  I couldn't figure out why, until I realized that it wasn't a brush for acrylics.

Kolinsky sable brushes are for watercolours. They make excellent brushes for miniature painting as they hold a point have a great belly and we use water based acrylic paints and thin them considerably.

Kolinsky sable brushes are for watercolours. They make excellent brushes for miniature painting as they hold a point have a great belly and we use water based acrylic paints and thin them considerably.

I've been looking at the Ichiban Set, I followed their kickstarter (but never pledged), now might be the right time to pull the trigger as the worn brushes I have been using are starting to fray.

Watercolour brushes are FINE for miniature painting with hobby acrylics.

Then would you care to explain why a W&N watercolor brush does not work as well with acrylics as their brushes designed specifically for that medium?

Watercolors don't flow from a brush in the same way as an acrylic, even though they are both thinnable with water.  I'm not the only one who feels this way - I mentioned it to a guy at the gaming store who was an art student and he agreed.

Watercolour brushes are FINE for miniature painting with hobby acrylics.

Then would you care to explain why a W&N watercolor brush does not work as well with acrylics as their brushes designed specifically for that medium?

Watercolors don't flow from a brush in the same way as an acrylic, even though they are both thinnable with water.  I'm not the only one who feels this way - I mentioned it to a guy at the gaming store who was an art student and he agreed.

Which W&N brush are you having trouble with? 

The brush in question is a size 00 round "Artist's Water Colour Sable" by W&N.  It does not keep a point like acrylic brushes should.  I'm sure it's fine for watercolor painting, but not for minis.

I take good care of my brushes - I have a 2-chamber water pot for rinsing, I clean them at the end of each session with Masters brush soap, and natural turpenoid if needed to get dried paint out of the ferrule - which doesn't happen often becaus eI try to keep paint from getting up in there.  I don't dunk my brushes into the paint pot, or anything else that would reduce the performance or life of the brush.

Those Ichiban brushes definitely look interesting. A bit pricey though, so I may have to wait until my current W&N brushes are six feet under before considering buying these :)

Is that one of those curvy handle jobbies?  if so, move on to something else, the sable hair on those is nowhere near as good as the S7 or comparable.

Just a normal-style brush - I was hoping the quality would be comparable, though I know you can't expect as much from a brush that costs less than half the Series 7.

I'm also discovering that not all Kolinsky brushes are created equal - my local store sometimes has the Reaper brushes in stock and while one of the guys there says he has nothing but good experiences with them, I find that they don't last me very long.  When you have a Kolinsky brush that looks like it might be suitable for a small drybrush after only a short time of use, something is wrong.  I'd understand that outcome if I was one of those fools who doesn't take good care of his brushes, but I'm not.

I'm hoping I don't have the same issues with the new (expensive) Series 7 Miniature brushes I bought.  I just wish they were easier to come by.

Archived