Bad reads that you just gave up on...

Now I have not read this whole thread (yet) but I have stopped reading the horus heresy series (after buying the first twelve books at one time) after reading half of the second book. The characters in False Gods were so idiotic that I had to put it down. So blind and ignorant, and Abadon was the most incredibly terrible leader I have ever read about. It was a decent quaility of writing, but the characters were all complete imbeciles.

On a seperate note, the Ventrus books were just poor writing, and the C S Goto novels were poorly researched and flopped bad (but I still at least finished those).

Now I have not read this whole thread (yet) but I have stopped reading the horus heresy series (after buying the first twelve books at one time) after reading half of the second book. The characters in False Gods were so idiotic that I had to put it down. So blind and ignorant, and Abadon was the most incredibly terrible leader I have ever read about. It was a decent quaility of writing, but the characters were all complete imbeciles.

On a seperate note, the Ventrus books were just poor writing, and the C S Goto novels were poorly researched and flopped bad (but I still at least finished those).

I'm with you on False Gods, I re-read it recently and it felt even worse. In it's way, it's the worst in the series. Yes, even more than Battle For the Abyss or Descent of Angels. Those are bad, and worse on their own, but False Gods should have been a key moment of the series. Horus Rising might have set it up, and Galaxy in Flames shows the first step, but False Gods is where we see Horus fall, we see why he turned, and thus why the whole event happened. This is where you set up the main villain for the whole thing.

And what we get is basically:

Sejanus: "Hey Horus, you should turn on the Emperor."

Horus: "You're not Sejanus, you're Erebus."

Erebus: "Okay, you got me, but you should still turn on the Emperor."

Horus: "Why?"

Erebus: "Look, here are some visions which are the psychic equivalent of pictures I drew with crayons that prove the Emperor is a bad guy."

Horus: "You've already lied to me once."

Erebus: "Yep."

Horus: "...Okay, sounds legit. Let's burn some galaxy."

If there's anything in the series I would love to see redone properly, it's that book.

But on the flip side, there are some great entries after that. After Desh'ea, The Devine Adoratrice, A Thousand Sons, Prospero Burns, The First Heretic, Know No Fear, Scars, Brotherhood of the Storm, Fulgrim, Aurelian, Betrayer, Burden of Duty, The Sigillite, The Iron Within, Prince of Crows, The Last Remembrancer, Twisted, Iron Corpses...

• 3 weeks later...

Archived