Fun Finds

Hesh Kadesh

The rules for 30K are vast. Have you come up with any neat little rules quirks that you think deserve being shared?

To start us off, here's a couple;

1. The Crusader special rule can be used when defending against being swept, not purely when you're attacking. It makes things like Emperor's Children much more resilient even though they may lose the combat.

2. Legion Veteran Tactical Squads can get Sniper Heavy Flamers. Although they don't benefit from Precision Shots, they can still get AP2 if they roll a 6 to wound. Thanks to the FAQ, they're not forced to use the 4+ to wound either.

Salamanders Sniper Tac Vets with 2 Heavy Flamers.

Legion Rules / RoW give flamers +1S

To-Wound Rolls of 6 make the Flamer Ap2 (against the particular target being hit, not the unit in its entirety)

Means that these can actually pose a decent threat to Av11/12 and below while being able to potentially massacre TEQ Blobs and weaker. Sure, you'd have to get closer to your target than Heavy Bolters but you have a higher wound potential than they do because of the Template.

Speaking of Sniper Vets. Decapitation Strike, Raven Guard RoW, grants Preferred Enemy(Independent Characters), so when you roll a Precise Shot and allocated it against an IC you get PE for the wound roll.

Speaking of Sniper Vets. Decapitation Strike, Raven Guard RoW, grants Preferred Enemy(Independent Characters), so when you roll a Precise Shot and allocated it against an IC you get PE for the wound roll.

You actually get the PE regardless if you put it on the IC or not. You get re roll 1s to hit and wound in shooting or combat to anyone in the squad. 

Assuming you can take a relic from conquest, there are a couple that can be paired with a Moritat to make him either really good, or downright disgustingly op for a turn. Of course you're paying around 150 points for a two wound model before any weapon upgrades, but still. That is of course if you can take relics on a consul. I haven't actually read them in full.

You actually get the PE regardless if you put it on the IC or not. You get re roll 1s to hit and wound in shooting or combat to anyone in the squad. 

That's not accurate. The IC joins the squad, not the other way around. Plus I already asked FW just in case it was supposed to extend the head hunting to the squads(akin to hunting command squads etc) but it only works against models with the IC rule. So you would need precise shot/strike if they're in a unit. The same thing happened with their Tau commander that had Preferred Enemy(Independent Characters). They ruled then as well that it only worked when directly affecting the PE model, not the squad.

Oooh take Alpharius and a moritat.

Preferred enemy on a plasma pistol moritat?!?! O.O

Erhmawemprah

That way you can skip all that crap if you roll a one. Also, since it's a legion astartes AL buff, it circumnavigates the lone killer rule.

Erhmawemprah

That way you can skip all that crap if you roll a one. Also, since it's a legion astartes AL buff, it circumnavigates the lone killer rule.

I thought the moritat wouldn't benefit from any boon granted by other ICs? (been a while since I read that FAQ, since I don't play myself...)

Erhmawemprah

I thought the moritat wouldn't benefit from any boon granted by other ICs? (been a while since I read that FAQ, since I don't play myself...)

and that the latest fw faq made 'gets hot' happen on a 1 or 2 for a chain firing plasma user

Alexis Polux is actually toughness 5 with the Rite of War Stone Gauntlet, making him the toughest character that isnt a Primarch.

cassian dracos is arguably a character :D

Alexis Polux is actually toughness 5 with the Rite of War Stone Gauntlet, making him the toughest character that isnt a Primarch.

Autek Mor?

Presumably also Argel Tal by book 6 if the regular Gal Vorbak statline is anything to go by, but that's just speculation :(

Autek Mor?

Presumably also Argel Tal by book 6 if the regular Gal Vorbak statline is anything to go by, but that's just speculation sad.png

ah yea him too. ;) my bad lol. its a nice buff tho.

Buying an Aegis Defense line with Rogal Dorn in your list and then upgrading it +1 cover save, allows 3+ cover save placeable on the map for your army

Erhmawemprah

Correct. The rules for lone killer are purely within the Red Book, and explicitly call out beneficial special rules granted by friendly models.

Tough Characters; I think damage outweighs enemy defence. Eidolon, Curze, and Sigismund are tough as nails due to their Initiative 6 Instant Death with AP2 ability

Sigismund combines the two; 2+/4++, Eternal Warrior while I6 S6 AP2 Instant Death forcing rerolls of Invulnerables.

A Salamander Praetor can get similar; 2+/3++ with Eternal Warrior, and with a Hammer, can crush anything that doesn't kill them. If I'm honest, any Legion can get the 3++ now with a Shield Generator Deredeo, but natively for a Praetor etc.

Moritat's who are not Sworn Brothers with Solar Auxilia can pick up Fortifications. As they are explicitly not treated as friendly units and are not counted as part of the army, they can benefit from the fortifications; which includes the supply dump from Aegis Defense Lines taken as part of the SA list. This allows the Moritat to reroll 1's when in 2".

In regards to that; being unable to take Fortifications as a legion list can be got around by picking up Solar Auxilia with their special fortifications. Although they can't take Aquila Strongpoints, they CAN take Aegis lines. Use this with Orbital Strike lists to pick up a Comms Relay (minimum 215pts, including Comms).

Autek Mor's PE Warlord trait with a Master of Signals in a Tac blob is fun. BS5 re-rolling 1s for hitting, and lovely re-rolls on the orbital bombardment when the time is right. Not exactly a subtlety or a trick, but hell if it isn't funny.

Autek Mor's PE Warlord trait with a Master of Signals in a Tac blob is fun. BS5 re-rolling 1s for hitting, and lovely re-rolls on the orbital bombardment when the time is right. Not exactly a subtlety or a trick, but hell if it isn't funny.

Or put them in a plasma tac support squad for extra trolls and lulz.

Archived