Interested in the Inquisition

So, I have been playing Space Wolves for a couple years, have recently started looking at using allied detachments, including assassins and the Inquisition. The play style I have developed is not only drop pods and TWC, but also rhinos and tanks. I guess what I'm looking to get out of the inquisition is cheap but durable backfield scoring, or some type of cost efficient long range support, or even both. Maybe also an inquisitor that can hang behind with his guys but can push forward and assist with the front line battle. Anyone have any advice for me?

Maybe look at Coteaz. Set him up with a shooty warband including heavy weapon servitors, a jokaero (or two), couple of Crusaders and fill the rest with Accolytes, maxing out on the special weapon upgrades.

OM Inquisitor in termy armour with psycannon and daemonhammer might work for you if you don't fancy Coteaz.

Cheers

I

They're not ideal for scoring. No access to Objective Secured, and they rely on transports for mobility.

At long range, you have Inquisitors with hellrifles or conversion beamers, up to 3 Servitors with heavy weapons per Henchmen Warband, and Jokaero. Maybe a Land Raider or a few storm bolter Acolytes. Henchmen are all BS3 and the shooty ones aren't durable at all, although Jokaero Customisations have a chance of mitigating that. Previous iterations were a lot more capable, you can't expect anything spectacular from them now.

Personally, I find they work much better as a mid- to close-range support than any of the above. They have easy access to decent psychic disciplines and, unlike the shooty ones, the assault-oriented Henchmen get the profile bonuses they need to make them good at their jobs. 

If you decide the ][ isn't going to fill its intended role, look at a Tempestus Scions detachment.

Scions can't provide long range backfield support either, though. They are also mid-range or deep striking. I love them but I don't think they fit with what our Viking-ish friend is looking for.

I think Lucian summed things up well. I can't ass to his post.

Don't the Wolves despise the Inquisition?

No wonder if you ask me.

If they were to look too close who knows what they might uncover.

Chapter Master with an axe of Khorne, totally non-chaos (msn-wink.gif ) Werewolf mutations, unsanctioned psychic powers, obstruction of Inquisitorial justice etc. pp

Not entirely. They just hate douchebags, which led to the defying inuisitional authority, which led to them now being wary around Malleus and Hereticus inquisitors. I could definitely see one of the companies that are accustomed to more xenos fighting teaming up with a xenos inquisitor. Is it the xenos inquisitors that have access to the conversion beamer?

• 1 month later...

Not entirely. They just hate douchebags, which led to the defying inuisitional authority, which led to them now being wary around Malleus and Hereticus inquisitors. I could definitely see one of the companies that are accustomed to more xenos fighting teaming up with a xenos inquisitor. Is it the xenos inquisitors that have access to the conversion beamer?

Yep!  And that's what I've been looking at.  As a wolf player with a fluffy mind, I never really liked any allies.  I've seen the light, and I'm picking stuff up now (funny what a couple of tournaments will do for that mentality.)  I started with Skitarii, which was nice because I could pick a Xenarites paint scheme which seems to fit better with the wolves being a bit more open minded than some of the other chapters.  Now I'm looking at a Xenos Inquisitor since he would fit right in with the skitarii Xens.

Great thread, has a lot of the same questions i've been wondering about.

I'm thinking Coteaz is wildly underpriced unless i'm misunderstanding his rules. If i can take him with Arjac's Sheild Brother formation, the land raider can shoot at deepstrikers and i'll possibly have a 2++ invul on a handful of toughness five terminators, maybe even hammer hand ...

From what i've read, you can pay the measly 20 melta bombs and toss him behind an aegis with some plas cannon long fangs and do some serious shooting.

The one question I have is about war hymns. Is there some inquisitor i can get them on, or can they be taken by someone who can join another unit? How are they usually applied. Thanks in advance.

War hymns are only "generated" by the ministorum priest who is not an independent character but a warband option. So using codex =][= there is no way to attach one to an allied unit.

Adepts Sororitas and Astra Militarum priests (who are otherwise identical to =][= ones) ARE independent characters however so those could be attached to some Space Wolves if you brought them as allies.

Archived