Naming vehicles?

So I'm an airpower fanatic, and I'm 2nd generation Air Force. I didn't fly, but it's still a dream. My dad was a fighter pilot and I was going to pay tribute to him by putting his nose art on one of my Valkyries.

This seems like something that would happen in the IG, so what do y'all think?

I have two names picked for my Valks, the first (my dad's) is "The last Great Act of Defiance"

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k49/jacksparrow_012/last_great_act_of_defiance.jpg

and the Second would be "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap..." I don't have a cartoon for that one, it's my favorite AC/DC song, and I thought it'd make a great name for an Airplane.

Or I'd name it "Danger Close Delivery"

http://www.smkw.com/large/knife/MSM0104SW.jpg

I'd dress it up a bit to make it look more 40k grimdark... Maybe a SoB pin up across the nose of a Valkyrie.

What do you think of this?

I name all my vehicles. I wanted to get Bug Stomper on Vendettta and all my tanks are named:

Thunderchild

Bullet Hose

Lady Luck

Death Dealer

Mouse Fart

Chair Force aren't the only ones that do it.

Thank you for your service and thank your dad for his.

Like the pin-up patch - fairly clean lines, so it wouldn't be much to work up for decal use (SHUT UP, CARLSON! YOU'VE ALREADY GOT TWO DECAL PROJECTS ON THE STOVE!) As far as making it a SoB, you could just use the current image and add some SoB iconography as tats on the pin-up (say an Aquila or Inquisition logo on the thigh or shoulder). Mind you, might come off as a bit... heretical, a Guard pilot portraying a Sister as a sex object, but then pilots tend to be a bit censored.gif .

So far only only a few tanks of mine are named.  My Krieg have a Shadowsword named The Wrath of Martyrs, my Syrinx 2112th (generic Guard) have a Baneblade named Lord Illpalazzo, and my Red Scorpions Land Raider currently being repainted named Dei Gratia.  I have another Land Raider lacking weapons that I am mulling over how to build that will be named Ex Cathedra.  I want to name my Brass Scorpion, but the only name that seems appropriate for it would be KABOOM!

You can do a google image search on Valkyre nose art for a few other ideas.

https://www.google.com/search?q=valkyrie+nose+art&biw=1366&bih=673&noj=1&site=webhp&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=btYBVaKUM4i5yQTO6YG4Bw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ#imgdii=_

I would stay away from modern day icons (like Betty Boop) because it is too much of an anachronism for me.  Most any other pinups from 40's and 50's would work, tho.  Especially if you can find some commisar pinups.

As far as making it a SoB, you could just use the current image and add some SoB iconography as tats on the pin-up (say an Aquila or Inquisition logo on the thigh or shoulder). Mind you, might come off as a bit... heretical, a Guard pilot portraying a Sister as a sex object, but then pilots tend to be a bit censored.gif .

No!

*shakes fist*

The heresy is shackling the Sisters of Battle to the Inquisition. That was retconned for good reason.

Otherwise ... there is no canonical evidence in any Adepta Sororitas source to say we are celibate msn-wink.gif

I named my SW vehicles, with names from Norse mythology. I wanted to do a more American theme with my Guard, since I want them to be the 75th Ranger Regiment in Space. I'm gonna do black and red scrolls on the pauldrons of my Tempestus.

As far as making it a SoB, you could just use the current image and add some SoB iconography as tats on the pin-up (say an Aquila or Inquisition logo on the thigh or shoulder). Mind you, might come off as a bit... heretical, a Guard pilot portraying a Sister as a sex object, but then pilots tend to be a bit censored.gif .

No!

*shakes fist*

The heresy is shackling the Sisters of Battle to the Inquisition. That was retconned for good reason.

Otherwise ... there is no canonical evidence in any Adepta Sororitas source to say we are celibate msn-wink.gif

I stand corrected. My SoB knowledge is from just a few sources, and those almost strictly 'in action' rather than 'who we are'.

I stand corrected. My SoB knowledge is from just a few sources, and those almost strictly 'in action' rather than 'who we are'.

You could always find a picture like this:

http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/ii444/DBH69/Celestian_by_DemonOfGuillotine.jpg

Just add a fleur de lys to her ... umm  ... cheek.

Then name the vehicle Miss Mayhem or Bolter Belle.  Maybe name it No One Left Behind if you put the fleur on her left cheek ;)

As a picture of a Sororitas Retributer the linked pic is nowhere near any form of a realistic look.  As nose cone art, it is what one would expect.  It's a Sister of Battle pinup.

Great idea and I think your dad should like the idea. What did he fly?

As a techie in the RAF and working on Hercs, my actual valks are numbered the same as them!

Not brave enough for nose art yet but I want to do some.

"The Last Great Act of Defiance" looks good in this size, but if you shrink it down to fit a Valkyrie's nose, the mouse's middle finger will not be readily identifiable. You may need to exaggerate the size of the mouse's paw, to correct this.

The other names work fine, in my opinion. As for "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap..." a Sister Repentia in a lewd pose, is the first image I thought was appropriate.

Just out of curiosity, what model of aircraft did your father fly? F-15? F-16? A-10?

All of my Iron Hands tanks have names and lauded histories. The Guard? Hadn't thought of a culture to base my Armoured Regiment on yet so that's still a dream.

There was an older White Dwarf that had an American-themed Guard army. The picture showed some excellent nose art on the Valkyrie. Maybe search for that and see what you get. It could be good for a few ideas.

Great. Now you have me thinking of doing another regiment roster. Thanks a lot, Ulrik!

All named, of course, lest I anger their machine spirits by simply pointing at them.

Wrath the Medusa.

Piety and Valour Chimeras.

Pride and Rectitude are my Leman Russes.

My Valkyrie/Vendetta however will probably get a faux-Latin one to show a different naming trend in the naval side of the task force.

"The Last Great Act of Defiance" looks good in this size, but if you shrink it down to fit a Valkyrie's nose, the mouse's middle finger will not be readily identifiable. You may need to exaggerate the size of the mouse's paw, to correct this.

The other names work fine, in my opinion. As for "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap..." a Sister Repentia in a lewd pose, is the first image I thought was appropriate.

Just out of curiosity, what model of aircraft did your father fly? F-15? F-16? A-10?

That's actually an awesome idea for Dirty Deeds. I'm gonna save that for a vendetta. The art isn't going to be on the nose, since I'm doing Hog Snouts on all of them. The Art will be a bit bigger, on the aft ramp or one side of the aft quarters. 

Dad actually flew in the Old school, F-106's and F-4C/D's. Sadly I think both of dad's birds got turned into QF's and shot down... But we have plenty of pictures of them both with Dad in the seat.

http://www.f-106deltadart.com/photo_gallery/var/albums/171st-FIS/560463%20580772.jpg?m=1422236192

You can just barely make it out, but that's dad's bird in the foreground, TN 80772, 171st Fighter Interceptor Sqdn MIANG. 

I was with the 26th Operational Weather Squadron Barksdale AFB, and Detachment 4 18th Weather Squadron Ft. Campbell. 

Like the pin-up patch - fairly clean lines, so it wouldn't be much to work up for decal use (SHUT UP, CARLSON! YOU'VE ALREADY GOT TWO DECAL PROJECTS ON THE STOVE!) As far as making it a SoB, you could just use the current image and add some SoB iconography as tats on the pin-up (say an Aquila or Inquisition logo on the thigh or shoulder). Mind you, might come off as a bit... heretical, a Guard pilot portraying a Sister as a sex object, but then pilots tend to be a bit censored.gif .

Or is portraying a SoB as a sex object might be so heretical, that it defines purity. Therefore not heresy at all...

My Valkyrie has some nose art and a name. When you do go for it, remember the problem of scale... The art has to be able to be seen on the model but not look out of proportion with the model itself.

Aces High

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz66/jonbrooks_photo/P9050009_zpsda81ca5d.jpg

Named all of my guard vehicles, except the armored sentinels which just got numbers.

The 182nd Cadian Drop Regiment was transformed by the introduction of Valkyries and Vendettas to the guard ranks. They became the 182nd Air Assault Regiment adopting a rapid deployment doctrine but still relying on man portable support weapons and ligh infantry tactics. To support this, the 1st Transportation Wing was created but under the leadership of the Regimental HQ. Each Infantry company goes to war riding in the belly of a Valkyrie or Vendetta.

I play my guard as Easy Company and they are supported by the 2nd squadron of the 1st wing. Valkyrie 121 is called " High Voltage", 122 is called "Dasher", and 123 is called "Dead Man's Party".

The 10th Cadian Armored Regiment are the boys who wield the heavy toys. They roll out to give the light infantry a hand when things get kinda hairy. All their tanks are named as well. The Regimental commander rides the baneblade "Dutiful". 1st platoon command is led by the Leman Russ battle tank 101 "Iron Death". 1st squadron lead is a LRBT 111 "Fancy Pants", second squadron lead is a Leman Russ Vanqisher 121 "Ice Pick", and finally third squadron lead is the Leman Rus Demolisher 131 "Bullet Magnet VIII".

If and when I finally get enough Leman Russ tanks to fill out the company, they'll all get names too!

Really cool guys. I'm looking forward to painting these up, I'm probably going to tackle them first, and get them done before even my wolves, because a lot of my wolves need to be stripped and re-done. I also have my Tau to do, again stripped and re done.

Ulrik_Ironfist, you are an evil, evil, cruel, heartless person! Doing what you did to my poor ADD/Bipolar brain! You should be ashamed! msn-wink.gif

(WIP pic below: Still needs shading and the background/body outline.)

http://www.smkw.com/large/knife/MSM0104SW.jpggallery_80588_10579_454440.jpg

Carlson, that is sweet work. For Danger Close, I was thinking of having a SoB wearing her breastplate, boots and gauntlets, with the sleeves and thigh highs in that pose. I thought that would be really appropriate and provocative. I don't believe however that it will be allowed in the Games workshop store I frequent...

My IRL tank was named Aces'n'Eights....in 40k, I have WAY TOO MANY vehicles (and more all the time, like any good treadhead) to name them all

The pinup would look better on an Avenger Strike Fighter....

Archived