A Rogue Trader's Force?

I like the idea put forth above regarding conscripts, particularly if they represented the followers of a dispossessed noble, ecclesiarch, or other power climber who backed the wrong horse and now he and his followers were given the dubious honor of expanding the Emperor's realm, handed a Warrant of "Get out of Our Sight", then summarily packed up and sent out into the void.
Course, since Rogue Traders are a variable lot that may not fit the concept of players Rogue Traders.
Thought: Suppose you  have a "rogue" Rogue Trader who is hip deep in trading Xenos tech out on the Eastern Fringe.  
Tempestus troopers seem like a fun way to represent the Trader's elite troopers, using bootlegged, jury rigged,  or several iterations old versions of pulse/plasma tech and combat gear.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My Solar Auxilia force commander is a rogue trader in my head fluff, and the funky equipment available to him and his forces fit the "I got toys you ain't even heard of" theme.

I also went with a Rogue Trader Militant concept for the fluff behind my Solar Auxilia's Lord Marshal.

I also second the idea of a Rogue Trader force. Imagine if GW came out with an Inquisition-style Rogue Trader codex....it would be like how its hard to imagine it took so long to get a proper AdMech force....

The only thing I can really add is the idea of using a Lord Commissar somewhere in there:

For what it's worth, in Beerhammer matches at home I have used a fun list that is supposed to be the PDF of some suburban world where the imputent son of the governor wants to play soldier and takes command of the PDF. The Planetary Guvnah, being all too familiar with his son's recklessness, assigns his own personal bodyguard to "aid" his son in his endeavors:

Ivan, the Bodyguard (counts-as Lord Commissar)

--Deathmask of Ollianus (4++ and Fear to represent his reputation in 1v1 combat)

--Honor's Edge (S+1 AP3 sword)

--Emperor's Benediction (Bolt Pistol with Precision Shots to represent his dead-eye aim)

--Melta Bombs

...of course the last time I used that list was pre-FAQ draft so he can't have multiple Relics. But you get the idea

Greetings

Pretty much all the fluff I could read said they can use AM and even have made deals to call upon space marines. Lexanicum and the 40k wikia at least.

Absolutely. Originally they were considered have carte blanche to get things done, and could (and frequently did) indeed have access to space marines.

That may not be "official" now, but they're your toys - if I wanted space marines in a rogue trader force, that's exactly what I'd have.

• 2 weeks later...
It's all politics. They will probably have deals and alliances with members of all parts of societies and organization. They could probably even solicit the aid and resources of certain inquisitors they have interacted with, as well.

I love the idea of a Rogue Trader force. Especially the motley elite side of it - a guard force in the main, perhaps mostly veterans and a squad or two of stormtroopers, lump in some abhumans and funky or uncommon vehicles too.

Then bolt on, perhaps, a Deathwatch Killteam, a decent little Adeptus Mechanicus force, perhaps some odd Inquisitor-y things, a little Xenos delegation (Eldar rangers, Kroot, a haemonculus, some Freebooters...), the world would be your oyster.

When it comes to the guardsmen, you can really go to town too. Beastmen and squats are very much on the cards as proxies. And it's not just Inquisitors who go off the deep end...

Archived