Thanks guys biggrin.png i'm a really slow painter but i have been getting a little excited about praetors and such. So tonight i made a praetor out of Khârn, i've magnetised the backpack and gun arm so i can switch weapons aswell as chuck a jump pack on him if he needs it. The axe im gonna paint to either be a power axe or a paragon blade since theres nowhere saying the paragon blade has to be a sword. Let me know if i'm wrong.

med_gallery_84403_10603_265463.jpg

Frustrating! I think I've painted and then stripped the same marine about a dozen times over the past couple of weeks cause I just can't seem to paint it right. So I emailed Forgeworld for help on the colour scheme, specifically the blue and this is what I got in reply -

I hope that my advice helps you! What i would do is (using an airbrush) go for a really simple metallic blue to start with. The war hounds armour seems to have that metallic sheen. try the following and see if you like it.

1. Undercoat your model black.

2. Base coat with IRON HANDS STEEL

3. Highlight with GREY KNIGHTS STEEL

4. Spray all over with thin layers of CALTH BLUE (CLEAR) until you are happy with the shade

5. Highlight the edges with Grey knights steel

6. Spray one thin layer of calth blue to glaze the highlights.

While I don't own an airbrush I figured I could just do a few layers of watered down blue instead for a similar look?

Will hopefully post a couple of test pics in a day or so

Whose paint are you using for this project, out of curiosity?  I've always struggled to get tone right with Citadel (due to the very thick pigment) when I want specific colors, so I often look to P3 or Vallejo for this need.

Well, Vallejo is always a good bet for getting specific colors. They have a really consistent pigment and finish very smoothly, and the prices are pretty decent for their paint bottles, too. Even better, they have a TON of color shades to choose from, though mixing is easy if you still can't find the exact shade you want.

I find P3 has a VERY fine pigment that tends to work best when layered or blended. It's a paint that's designed for small projects and professional painters, which makes it time consuming to work with. I use it for small details and the minimum level of shading I do (their metallics are excellent). It's about as expensive as Citadel, though.

I'm not a pro by any stretch of the imagination (as my galleries and love of drybrushing will attest), so you may want to ask around the forums to get better insight on this topic. smile.png

I had a quick go at the paint guide recomended by the forgeworld email but using citadel instead of forgeworld paints. I'm actually really happy with how he turned out so bar the dirt, battle damage and any highlights this is what i came up with.

med_gallery_84403_10603_616122.jpg

Archived