40k Mechanicum

I only use pistols when I have some points left over, thus I rarely factor them in. They just seem so cost inefficient.

As for Scions, I do not think that this is a good comparison, seeing as both Vets and Vanguard are almost equivalent in their use and both have the same issue of needing to get close. Scions are far better at surgical removal instead of being the main bulk of your army (provided Vanguard are used as such) and they have solved the issue of getting close. Two units for two different purposes.

I only use pistols when I have some points left over, thus I rarely factor them in. They just seem so cost inefficient.

As for Scions, I do not think that this is a good comparison, seeing as both Vets and Vanguard are almost equivalent in their use and both have the same issue of needing to get close. Scions are far better at surgical removal instead of being the main bulk of your army (provided Vanguard are used as such) and they have solved the issue of getting close. Two units for two different purposes.

Oh that is surprising. it is an extra str 6 shot with haywire though, so I have been adding it in almost every unit I math together. 

Kinda hope that the mechanicus gets some crazy type of transport tank to help out with such short range. Though after playing orks 18" is surprisingly far sometimes.

if not, what do you guys say about the rangers?

I like the first look at the Rangers, but probably not for the same reasons as the Vanguard.  Precision Shots could be useful for a massed unit to snipe hidden psykers or sergeants, but you pay a premium cost for it compared to Vanguard.  Move Through Cover is a decent trade for the Rad-aura, though we'll need to see the AdMech transports before its use becomes clear.

For builds with the Rangers, I think they'll be solid for doing exactly what Immersturm was talking about above with the Vanguards: load a max unit of them with 3 Arc Rifles and you're throwing 14 S 4 AP 4 shots and 6 S 6 AP 5 HW shots at Rapid Fire range; a perfect torrent unit for thinning hordes or whittling down transports.  Again, they'll need some sort of special deployment method, which right now will be through allied transports until we know more about the 'dex.  Alternatively, you could try running minimum units with 2 arquebus' for tank hunting, but this weights in at quite a few points considering the random nature of the arquebus.

I am still searching for battle-forged ways to insert my Arc Skitarii into combat disembarking from one of these:

http://the-lost-and-the-damned.664610.n2.nabble.com/file/n5212624/big_boring.jpg

alternatively, I consider a combat-drop from one of these:

http://www.battlegrip.com/images/reviews/05-09/hk/hk01_l.jpg

...which propably means allied AM (lol).

So, battlescribe has been updated with the released skitarii rules, and I took a look at them. Sweet jesus on a cracker... So much haywire, 60" sniper rifles with armorbane, radium poisoning (6's cause two wounds). They have the potential to be hugely killy. Vanguard against troops, rangers taking on vehicles, and the walkers taking on fliers.

I may have found a good addition to my Forces of the Imperium army.

So with the new leaks, I can see why plasma calivers are so expensive. You can increase your BS up to 7 :o. Not only does that protect you from overheating, but you have a much better chance of landing your shots. On top of that, any character you declare as a warlord gains preferred enemy, which then transfers to the squad.

I'm very excited :D

BS 7 is a 2+, reroll on 5+, so doesn't stack with PrefE and is only once per game. It's nice though.

since there propably won't be an HQ for skitarii, and the WL traits seem pretty meh, I can't see a Warlord coming from there other than in games of <400pts.

I wonder if the warlord getting PrefE also counts if he is coming from another detachment (wording seems ambiguous).

BS 7 is a 2+, reroll on 5+, so doesn't stack with PrefE and is only once per game. It's nice though.

since there propably won't be an HQ for skitarii, and the WL traits seem pretty meh, I can't see a Warlord coming from there other than in games of <400pts.

I wonder if the warlord getting PrefE also counts if he is coming from another detachment (wording seems ambiguous).

No, it does not. Detachment's special rules only apply to models that compose that detachment, so you cannot apply it to a Warlord coming from another one. It will be affected by the special rules of his own detachment (if it has one).

I understand that, I was merely speaking about how many ways skitarii are able to get better accuracy and mitigate gets hot.

I don't see the need to go crazy mitigating Gets Hot! rolls for these guys, anyway.  At 190 points for 10 SV and 3 Calivers, you're throwing enough shots to kill 5 power armored models (or 3 Terminators) a turn.  That's a return of about 90-120 points (low end average) per phase, and it gets even crazier under Doctrina Imperatives.  And you have an effective threat range of 24"!  IMO a model or two lost to Gets Hot! over the course of a game is a small price to pay for that kind of hitting power, and that's not even counting the considerable torrent of fire available in the Radium Carbines.

Again, keep in mind that we're talking 1.5 Gets Hot! wounds per volley (9 shots).  These guys have a 4+ save (which is decent) and can still take their 6+ FnP if worst comes to worst.

I don't see the need to go crazy mitigating Gets Hot! rolls for these guys, anyway.  At 190 points for 10 SV and 3 Calivers, you're throwing enough shots to kill 5 power armored models (or 3 Terminators) a turn.  That's a return of about 90-120 points (low end average) per phase, and it gets even crazier under Doctrina Imperatives.  And you have an effective threat range of 24"!  IMO a model or two lost to Gets Hot! over the course of a game is a small price to pay for that kind of hitting power, and that's not even counting the considerable torrent of fire available in the Radium Carbines.

Again, keep in mind that we're talking 1.5 Gets Hot! wounds per volley (9 shots).  These guys have a 4+ save (which is decent) and can still take their 6+ FnP if worst comes to worst.

I'm almost thinking of making that squad a warlord one for preferred enemy. that way you get to re-roll the ones to hit, making gets hot a lot more manageable.

I honestly forgot about unbound lists. that would be good in case they don't get good transports!

I am thinking AM's chimeras for tech guard.

You can get 1-3 arvus lighters in a single FA slot by allying in sororitas or guard. Just another option. They can at least deep strike.

So....., anyone thinking about how to use the Rustalkers or Infiltrators? Configs, targets, etc.

Had a bit of a tear on those the other day, because I'm probably in the minority of people that think they're sweet models and I want an excuse to take 'em. Here's what I came up with:

Ruststalkers have a big problem in that they don't shoot (other than throwing a grenade) and don't get any deployment tricks, though they can Scout thanks to the detachment rules and they're pretty mobile with the Dunewalkers rule. They're definitely a killy unit in close combat, with 3 attacks that autowound with AP 2 on 6's and a single Fleshbane attack (total 4 attacks) each, on the charge. They also get AP 2 in melee after the first round, but I wouldn't count on them making it that far. The icing on the cake is that their grenades are Haywire and Frags essentially in one, which give them great vehicle destroying capability if you can get them there. I'd ignore the free swap to dual swords, as this tosses out their Haywire (bad!).

Infiltrators, on the other hand, get the obvious Infiltrate rule and add Stealth and their awesome special rule to reduce WS, BS, Ld, and In for all enemies within 6" by 1. Even better, they have decent shooting attacks with their default kit, though I'd almost always upgrade them to take the Taser Goads since this makes them Strength 6 with the excellent Taser rule (they get two extra attacks every time they roll a 6 to hit). Really, the only downside to these guys compared to Ruststalkers is they're a bit pricier and they lose Furious Charge and Haywire (which is why the Taser Goads are so good!).

A common problem with both units, though, is their fragility. Yeah, GW tried to trick us by giving them Feel No Pain, a 4+ save and a 6+ invulnerable save, and even went so far as to give them 2 wounds each. The problem is, all of this is stuck on Toughness 3 models; any opponent that can throw Strength 6+ shooting (you know who they are) will mow this unit down with ease, as at that Strength level they'll be discounting FnP, the 2 wounds, and most likely ignoring the 4+ save. Once again, Infiltrators sneak by a little better since they have Stealth and can make the most of whatever terrain is lying around (or friendly model screens!), but at this point I'm feeling like anything other than minimum Infiltrator units with Taser Goads/Pistols would be a waste.

I have more thoughts, but this is turning into a TL:DR so I'll clam up for now. cool.png

So....., anyone thinking about how to use the Rustalkers or Infiltrators? Configs, targets, etc.

At first blush, the Skitarii elites looked like one trick ponies. I'd suggest using them in tandem, use basic ruststalkers to threaten vehicles, and infiltrators to threaten infantry. Get them close to each other, and force choices, The infiltrators can get dug in and throw out a lot of fire, and tarpit. While the Ruststalkers go after a nearby vehicle. Unfortunately, those are really the only choices I see, and they are really to costly to be suicide units...

So I guess the plan now is to get More Primaris Psykers painted. That way I get divination for all the rerolls my heart desires and the ability to give these hilarious gun toters ignores cover and Tank/Monster hunter.

Just remember that Primaris Psykers don't count as the mandatory HQ choice for your IG detachment!

The sicarians look like good models for 30k mechanicum ursarax, but skitarii Arc-vanguard in a borrowed transport + 3 icarus dunecrawlers is propably enough good stuff to add to an existing army already.

Archived