Escalation League: For The Saint!

Sinthos117

So my FLGS started an escalation league last week for our dwindling 40k community.  In days they had 12-14 people sign up, which is great to see.  The league starts at 500 points, increasing by 250 a week with a modified force org.  Week 1 was 1 HQ, 1-2 Troops, 0-1 Elite.  No hull points allowed.  An interesting element is that  every unit you take continues on throughout the campaign.  Wargear can change, but later limitations make it very soft competitive wise and should prevent brutal slaughters for our new players/armies.  There is also incentive for painting, rounding down to preferred enemy if you are painted and they are not.

That being said, I choose to bring my small Sisters force.  At 500 points I brought:

Saint Celestine

Priest - Litanies of Faith

Sisters Squad - 7 members, 1 flamer, 1 heavy flamer

Sisters squad - 5 members

Sisters Repentia - Full Squad

I am going to try to put up narrative battle reports for this league, but I have not done anything like it before, so any advice will be appreciated.  I was able to get in 2 practice games in before my first league game, so I will include them.  And so we go.

Practice Game #1

500 Points

Opponent:  Flesh Tearers

Chaplain – Jump Pack

Death Company – Jump Pack, 10 man

Tactical Squad – 10 man, heavy flamer (combat squads)

Sister Rosaline surveyed the devastated research outpost with a hint of disdain.  Any warrior worth her salt would have cut the forest back for clear fields of fire, but the local Mechanicus forces had been content to allow the trees to spread even amongst the buildings.  Of course, nothing in this small facility could have protected them from the orbital strike, but it was the principle of the thing that mattered.  And that principle was the very reason she was here, leading her sisters in battle for redemption instead of glory.  Once a sister superior, Rosaline’s squad had dared, DARED, to question the sanctity of a newly risen Saint of the Holy God Emperor.  She had reported her sisters as expected, and begged to join the Repentia to mask the shame of those under her command questioning the Emperor’s divine will.  In a strange turn of events, her Canoness had ordered Rosaline to lead her ester while squad as they repented their sins, with her as their judge and commander.  As the soft hymens of her squad rebounded off the ruined buildings, Rosaline was brought back to the present.  And what a present it was!  Standing off to her left was the very saint her sisters had sought to doubt.  Saint Angelica of Luz Eterna spread her pristine wings as she led the rest of the small scouting force in prayer.  The honor Sister Rosaline felt was only shadowed by the shame of not feeling worthy of being in the presence of the manifestation of the God Emperor of Mankind.  Still, shame or no, she would not fail in her duties, not again!  Only in death does duty end.

Loud shouts and barked commands brought the attention of the Sisters force to the fore.  Across the small crater filled clearing stood more warriors in power armor.  Unlike the sororitas, the new arrivals stood over 7 feet tall and were clocked in dark red and black power armor.  Space Marines.  Knowing only loyal troops were in the area, Rosaline was not alarmed.  As the marines moved closer, she noticed that they were in battle formation.  Upon closer inspection, the sister felt hate rise inside her as she made out the symbol on the shoulder of the marines.  “Flesh Tearers!” she called out “To arms sisters!”   At the same moment, seeming to react to her shout, bolt rounds screamed into the sister’s lines.  Caught unawares, multiple sisters fell to precise shots to their unarmored heads.  With cries for vengeance and the Emperor, the warrior women returned fire.  The bolter wielding marines seemed to shrug off the sister’s fire, but bellowing roars swung her view to the left.  “By the Emperor,” she whispered as a full squad clad in black and wearing jumping packs flew toward the Saint and her few attendants.  Rosaline’s immediate thought was to charge toward the figure in gold, to sell her life dearly so that the Saint could escape.  Seconds later a sense of calm washed over her and she witnessed Saint Angelica guide the bolts and flame of her bodyguard against the incoming assault troops.  To her great joy, 5 of the flying traitors went down before they could engage her fellows.  The clamor of bolters around her brings Rosaline’s attention back to the fore.  Seeing two small squads almost at her position brings a smile to her face.  While she and her squad were only mortals, close was exactly where they wanted their enemies to be.  Ordering the charge her senses were drowned out by the roar of eviscerators being revved.   The bass drone of a grav gun pierced the din, but her unarmored sisters shrugged off its effects.  “For the Golden Throne!”  With a great cry the Repentia were amongst the enemy, and while they were hammered by superhuman blows, her sisters attacked as if in no pain.  Chugging gears and screaming blades tore the traitorous filth to mince meat in seconds.  The second squad only had a moments reprieve before the same fate befell them as well.  Suddenly, the field was clear of enemies.  With a shout Rosaline turned to aid the Saint, but quickly saw there was no need.  Floating above a pile of corpses, sword bathed in holy fire, Saint Angelica was the epitome of Imperial Might.  Living proof of the God Emperor, she flew untouched above the bodies of the enemy bezerkers.  Though her guard had fallen in glorious combat, the Saint seemed to have left one survivor in her wake.  A skull helmed marine was lifted off the ground by her holy aurora and placed on his feet beside his dead brethren.  Though she was too far off to hear the words, Rosaline could see the horrifically injured marine bow his head to the living Saint.  As the sisters forces congregated toward their leader, Saint Angelica lifted her voice in praise to the God Emperor.  With a smile on her face and faith burning in her heart, Rosaline joined in the hymn with her fellow warriors.  Victory!

A fun game and a great start for the Sisters.  The Saint and her squad, the larger sisters squad, tanked the death company surprisingly well.  Loved the repentia, but they were a bit overkill on 5 man squads.

Practice Game #2

500 Points

Opponent:  Black Templars

Chaplain

Crusader Squad – 20 man, CC, shotguns, power axe

Crusader Squad – 5 man, missile launcher

After the victory against the Flesh Tearers, Sister Rosaline had a sour taste in her mouth. With the planet filled with actual heretics, xenos, and mutants, the fact that their first engagement was against fellow servants of the Emperor was not the cause for victorious celebration.  Still, victory is better than death, and no Sister of Battle would ever be surprised by the actions of the Flesh Tearers again.  If the Saint allowed their actions to go unreported, who was she to go against that holy will?  Though their losses had been few, the sisters were still little more than a scouting force.  As they moved cautiously through the forest, they ran into another small force of space marines.  This time, the sisters were hailed by the opposing force.  “In the name of the Immortal Emperor of Mankind, why do the Adepta Sororitas travel with a mutant?” cried out the chaplain of the Black Templars.  “Mutant?” answered Sister Isabella, “Who would that be?”  “Your supposed Saint, her wings are obvious mutations to her previous form,” he replied.  With that, the sisters bristled, and Sister Rosaline was reminded that this was the very issue her squad had presented in their doubt of the Saint’s holiness.  With screams of rage, the Sisters hurled insults at their space marine “allies.”  “If you will not see the truth, then we will cleanse your taint, “ the chaplain grimly replied.  As one the Templars began to advance, with a shrieking missile heralding their decision.  Sister Rosaline’s anger was momentarily replaced by awe as the Saint joined her squad in the middle of the battle ground.  “Are your sisters ready to prove their honor is still intact?”  “Of course, your Holiness, allow us to show you,” she gasped out.  With a cry, the sisters moved toward their new enemies.  As the Templars moved closer, missiles and bolt rounds flew over head the sisters.  The low notes of the “Ode to the Worthy” floated on the breeze from the rearward squad.  Seizing the opportunity, the Saint and her Repentia charged.  Filled with the holy zeal from their priest, along with the glorious presence of Saint Angelica, the Repentia stood firm against the attacks of the Templars.  The black armored chaplain sought out the golden winged Saint, but both figures failed to do any damage.  The relative peace of the melee was shattered as the heavy eviscerators finished their downward swings.  Ceramite teeth chewed through power armor, lopping off limbs and weapons at all turns.  Such was the fury of the scorned sisters that the shocked marines were destroyed before they could respond.  As Sister Rosaline wiped the blood from her visor, she saw the missile squad retreating through the forest.  With one charge, the sisters had won the battle, and only four sisters had fallen in the fight.  “Have my warriors proved their honor is whole my Saint,” Rosaline asked?  Saint Angelica just smiled.

Another game, another mass of close combat.  I love my repentia, but I have never seen them be this effective.  Feel No Pain and zealot is insane on an uninjured squad.  The Templars will never underestimate them again.

I'm loving these reports bro! I'm starting to see why you are loving the repentia. I'm glad I hosed them down with bolts and plasma in our game otherwise my IH would have met a similar end.

Thanks for the support y'all. 

BassWave, our game will be am interesting write up seeing as everyone died... 

Duke, I agree with Jacobus, but I do not have the model to use, which is needed in this league.  I will work on putting in more actual battle details.  It is kind of hard though, no game has gone longer than 2 turns.  One charge and that seems to be game, and before BassWave I had lost lost less than 10 sisters.  Thanks for the insight though.

All models must be 100% GW.  This is partially to avoid confusion, but also to sell product for the store.  I plan on getting another priest model for Jacobus, but I cant use him till week 4 at the soonest.  Unsure if I want to bring him or my cannoness.

All models must be 100% GW.  This is partially to avoid confusion, but also to sell product for the store.  I plan on getting another priest model for Jacobus, but I cant use him till week 4 at the soonest.  Unsure if I want to bring him or my cannoness.

Jacobus will bring more to the party and make tnhat unit lethal and allot tougher.

With Celestine a few Seraphim would not go amis either, so many things you can expand into early on it gets kinda exciting. ;)

I see, that's perfectly reasonable. I remember being so happy when asking about the legality of my conversions one time - they told me it had to be at least 50% GW plastic. I said, "Oh, but mine are like 80% GW metal. ;) "

As for the army list itself, Jacobus is a really strong character, especially in Sororiblobs if you do those. A Canoness can tank wounds sort-of better with the Mantle of Ophelia, though.

If I take a Canoness it's usually with a command squad equipped with 5 heavy bolters, sometimes behind an Aegis. Other times it's with a Sororiblob and an Eviscerator.

Duke:  I plan on bringing the seraphim week 3 when the force org allows them.  While Jacobus will make the unit more beatstick, it is a grow league.  I am trying not to be overly competitive.  It will depend on the rest of the league.

Sedibear:  I love the canoness because of the command squad.  The banner of +1 attack is great when combined with seraphim, repentia, and penitent engines.

Yeah... low point games are just.. well.

Even before the insanity of melta-minions in the current book, I swept an (admittedly casual) 500 point mini-tournament with the white dwarf list. All it took was Celestine, two units of Battle Sisters with meltas, and their Immolator transport. Sadly, BSS were still stuck in squads of 10-20, rather than the 5-20 we have now, so I couldn't only fit one Immolator in the list.

I still feel sorry for the poor guy who thought Draigowing at 500 points was viable. He had like four models. It took me two turns to table him.

Archived