Rebirth (novel) - spoiler request

*Furyou Miko

Heyla,

So, I just found out that there is some Battle Sister action in Kyme's novel, Rebirth... all Lexicanum has to say on the matter is that;

Expecting pre-arranged reinforcements from the entirety of the deployed Sisters of Battle war-host, the assault force was ambushed and repelled with great losses to the Salamanders and their Cadian allies. Only timely intervention by a small force of [/size]

Seraphim (Who had disobeyed Canoness Angerer's orders to abandon the Imperial strike force and instead reinforce her in following an ulterior motive[/size]%5B1f%5D), saved the remaining Imperial forces from an outright massacre[/size]

So... we have a Canoness of the Ebon Chalice, betraying the Imperial forces sent to defend her Cardinal World? To support her ulterior motives?

Is there anyone who can enlighten me as to what the heck's going on here?

The Audiobook (If you're talking James Swallow) was pretty bad, agreed, but the 1st book was pretty good imho :)

Still need to get the second one....

As for your question Miko, i'd suggest asking Salamanders players (posting in SM forums) rather than on AS forums, you might get more readers.

Not really, but they appear in minor roles in several other books, mostly as foils or allied antagonists to the heroes.

If you really want to see the Sisters relegated to the competency of an Adam West, Batman villain, try reading Blood of Asaheim.

The Audiobook (If you're talking James Swallow) was pretty bad, agreed, but the 1st book was pretty good imho smile.png

As for your question Miko, i'd suggest asking Salamanders players (posting in SM forums) rather than on AS forums, you might get more readers.

I was refering to that book but I did not Like his Blood Angels books either, thought they were very poor.

At least the Audio book made me laugh at the Sisters of Yorkshire! ;)

Not read Hammer and Anvil, keep getting outbid when trying to buy one. :P

Always when I'm offline as well. :(

Hammer and Anvil was an excellent preview to the 5th edition Necron codex if you got it early at games day.

Much like the original Sanctuary 101 it's based off, it basically exists to use Sisters to show off how awesome the new Necrons are.

Really? I thought the Sisters had a pretty good showing in Hammer and Anvil, what with the whole 'not knowing a vastly superior force of Necrons were there, and so are in no way ready for them' thing. Plus don't the Sisters, unlike the original Sanctuary 101, eventually prevail and not die to the last like Imperials tend to with the crons (now I may be wrong here, was rather ill when I read the book so my recollection isn't 100%).

As for the original Sanctuary 101, don't go blaming that on the whole 'Sisters are 40k Worf' thing. After all, it appears that event was based around the Necron Raiding force's initial Battle Report in White Dwarf 218, where the Sisters were tabled fair and square (at least as fair and square as you can get, as 2nd ed Necrons seemed to be rather cheesy). This was then added to the fluff, just like the life and death of Captain Tycho (GW being far more awesome in those days).

It's really beginning to seem as though the sum total of decent showings for the Sororitas in BL are Sister Aescarion in "Daemonblood" (she turns Plague Marines back to loyalists by smacking them with a chainaxe and doesn't afraid of anything) and possibly Saint Sabbat if she counts.

despite their showing being short, small and colored by the eyes of a rather morose black templar chaplain, I'm still quite fond of the sister depiction in "hell's reach".

On topic: I asked a salamander playing friend of mine about rebirth, but he hasn't read it yet. Sorry

Really? I thought the Sisters had a pretty good showing in Hammer and Anvil, what with the whole 'not knowing a vastly superior force of Necrons were there, and so are in no way ready for them' thing. Plus don't the Sisters, unlike the original Sanctuary 101, eventually prevail and not die to the last like Imperials tend to with the crons (now I may be wrong here, was rather ill when I read the book so my recollection isn't 100%).

As for the original Sanctuary 101, don't go blaming that on the whole 'Sisters are 40k Worf' thing. After all, it appears that event was based around the Necron Raiding force's initial Battle Report in White Dwarf 218, where the Sisters were tabled fair and square (at least as fair and square as you can get, as 2nd ed Necrons seemed to be rather cheesy). This was then added to the fluff, just like the life and death of Captain Tycho (GW being far more awesome in those days).

The Sisters actually won at Sanctuary 101 on victory points, but they were 1000 points with no real HQ (just a two wound Veteran Superior) against 2000 points of Necrons.

Anyway, as far as Hammer and Anvil goes, I was actually referring to the fact that more time was spent in the book detailing the Necron toys and the dolmen gate and the special cryptek stuff than was spent on character development or story arc for the Sisters or AdMech characters. As far as showing the Sisters as a worthwhile, effective military force, it was quite effective, I will grant you.

I read the book fairly recently, although a lot of the details are getting fuzzy.

The Canoness is tracking down her biological sister. As children in the Schola Progenium the latter had turned out to be a psyker and the future canoness had revealed that fact to the authorities. At some point over the years after the psyker was caught by a chaos marine warband who are using her abilities for their own ends. I would need to reread but had the impression the Canoness' goal was to put her sister down, not rescue her.

In the final battle in the book between the Imperials and Chaos forces the Canoness orders her forces to converge on her sister's location. The Seraphim sees the battle is going bad for the Imperials and after some handwringing ends up staying to reinforce their retreat.

Replace "Canoness" with "Inquisitor" and "Seraphim" with "Canoness" and I think it would have worked better. Otherwise, the Sisters are portrayed better than I expected. They are shown as competent in battle, and rescue Salamanders on multiple occasions. There is some distrust between the two groups initially, and the Sisters are wary of the Marines because what little they know about their chapter cult seems deviant to them, but respect grows as they fight together. Sisters characters (mostly the Seraphim and her squad, but also the Canoness and her second in command) get actual page time and while it is a Salamander's book, I don't get the feeling they were thrown in there without thought.

The Audiobook (If you're talking James Swallow) was pretty bad, agreed, but the 1st book was pretty good imho smile.png

I was refering to that book but I did not Like his Blood Angels books either, thought they were very poor.

At least the Audio book made me laugh at the Sisters of Yorkshire! msn-wink.gif

Not read Hammer and Anvil, keep getting outbid when trying to buy one. tongue.png

Always when I'm offline as well. sad.png

Both books are available digitally if you have a compatible device for them.

Best of three isn't a mark of quality though. Miriya is as bad a Sister of Our Martyred Lady as Ventris is an Ultramarine. If she was Bloody Rose, her impetuous disregard of orders and good sense might be forgivable, but...

She is! But much like watching Star Wars the way Lucas intended it (1-6), James Swallow loses how Awesome Morris is in Red and Black,audio book because the voices are bad. That may turn the reader. Faith and Fire I loved and Hammer and Anvil was meh but like everyone said it showed the necrons off which was cool but it was not anywhere near Faith and Fire.

She is! But much like watching Star Wars the way Lucas intended it (1-6), James Swallow loses how Awesome Morris is in Red and Black,audio book because the voices are bad. That may turn the reader. Faith and Fire I loved and Hammer and Anvil was meh but like everyone said it showed the necrons off which was cool but it was not anywhere near Faith and Fire.

Yeah, i really like Faith & Fire. Getting Hammer & Anvil off a friend tonight and returning once done, but i'd look forward to a Sisters story, not just Necron stuff, lol.

Best of three isn't a mark of quality though. Miriya is as bad a Sister of Our Martyred Lady as Ventris is an Ultramarine. If she was Bloody Rose, her impetuous disregard of orders and good sense might be forgivable, but...

I dunno, the Orders, especially the larger ones, can be quite massive. You'd get a bit of "everything anywhere". GW's fluff always tends to point at that (even if it's to cover their "bad" story-writing), like very calm and composed world eaters or Space wolves while you'd find really impetuous and agressive Imperial Fists or Dark Angels... lol

(Just pick a faction and their ideals, swap the ideals and that character probably exists somewhere in the fluff....)

Archived