loadout for IF support squads

Kriegriss

Just a question for more veteran heresy players I have started an Imperial Fists army and am planning my next load of resin from fw but I am torn on what kind of support unit to biuld I know that my heavy bolters are+1 BS but auto cannons look pretty meaty an if I just go legion support instead of heavy support I could get some greasy looking rotary cannons but I have played very few heresy games and am unsure on the effectiveness of the latter 2 any opinions or experiences would be appreciated thanks

oh as a side note there is almost 0 aircraft in my local meta it's alot of small games heavy terrain and zone mortalis style stuff

I'd suggest avoiding the rotary cannons on pretty much everything baring perhaps vets using Sniper. Str3 just doesn't cut it in a marine dense environment. It really depends what you plan to do with them/are likely to face. Heavy bolters are better at anti infantry, where autocannons will reliably kill light vehicles, and will instagibb any t3 models (probably only SA, if you play them)

Hope this is useful.

Dallo

First, congratulations on joining the Heresy and its slippery slope of Resin-Crack fueled spending spreed awesome fluff, rules set and community; as well as choosing the obviously superior legion msn-wink.gif

First: Rotor Cannons. They look cool but they're crap. S3 Ap 5/6? Salve 3/4. Sure, drown things in enough dice and it dies but when they can still make all their saves and if you so much as move an inch loose 50% of your firing range? Pass, Volkites do it better.

Autocannons are solid, yes. Heavy Bolters are better on IF if using Tac Vets with Sniper, Jetbikes (they have Heavy Bolters Stock) or Quad Heavy Bolter Rapiers (all the other options are better unless you're playing ZM).

That said, pretty much each and every other Heavy Support option trumps the Heavy Support squad unless your playing to specific rules or missions (like ZM where this slot shrinks down considerably).

+1Bs is indeed nice but hitting on 2s isnt worth much if they're still getting their armor saves and or hard to wound.

Which is why, if you want to stick with the Heavy Support Squad, Volkites are my go-to kill-machines. S6 Ap5 Heavy 4 Deflagrate means that a 10 man squad is pumping out 40 shots with the potential of 80 wounds due to deflagrate (irl this will very rarely happen but the potential is there) vs 10 man Heavy Bolter Squads 30 shots and 30 wound potential.

Culverins also have 45" Range over the Heavy Bolters 36" range.

Missile Launchers are also solid but I wouldn't use them for Anti-Air since we've got Deredeos. Them getting free Tank Hunter is a nice bonus though.

thanks for the replies they kinda confirm what I feared in that some of the coolest looking weapons just aren't strong enough rules wise I normally bow to the rule of cool but I still want a little compete time edge and I see what you mean about hvy supp having better options (to be honest not alot in it screams FIELD ME but hey land raiders are never a bad idea and Spartans are just raiders with MOAR ZEAL) maybe as I am leaning more towards ZM games I'll get some breachers but I feel I need to flesh out my force alot right now I have two tacticle blobs of 15 an apothecary for both and an assortment of commanders so I can add almost any thing and use it thanks for the advice

Archived