Pipes

Hello there brothers, be you the mighty Astarte's or the Seasoned Commanders of the Imperial Guard (I'm still calling it that no matter what),

I am here to seek you advice on Baneblades, what kind of Baneblade would everyone recommend here, I'm not new to 40k but I am new to Baneblades and their rules so any help would be good as I was thinking of using a Hellhammer.

Thanks for any input - Sanctum 1st Urban Assault Force

This is a difficult question to answer, at least without more context. There are many blessed variants of the Baneblade so the question is more what do you need? If you're not entirely sure then the default choice of a Baneblade is always a safe bet. Yes it is basically a glorified super Russ but that's not necessarily a bad thing - it might not be bringing Apoc level weaponry to the table but it will do a variety of things for you reliably. Splatting tanks, Marines or whatever it can handle almost anything well.

If you have a particular requirement then there's almost certainly a variant for it. Need super heavies popped? Infantry vaporised? There's a Baneblade for that ;)

Thanks for all of the input, I'm currently fielding two Tank commander Vanquishers in my army for the anti tank (why I was thinking about the Hellhammer). And yeah the Blessed Baneblade variants are a very big investment money wise so I was going to magnetise it (love the gif) but was just curious about what to run and to get some opinions - thanks all.biggrin.png

The hellhammer is nice, but my shadowsword hasn't failed me yet!  The only time it's died, it actually snatched a draw from the jaws of defeat...exploding on the bottom of turn five, it killed the enemy relic bearer, whereupon the game promptly ended!!!!

The hellhammer is nice, but my shadowsword hasn't failed me yet!  The only time it's died, it actually snatched a draw from the jaws of defeat...exploding on the bottom of turn five, it killed the enemy relic bearer, whereupon the game promptly ended!!!!

My Shadowsword won me a game when it exploded too! We were playing the scouring, and it killed two fast attack units getting me enough vic points to win. Only time it's ever been destroyed.

Unfortunately as they are expensive I'm going to have to flesh out my army first (more Russes and Infantry squads when I get the time) but the moment I get it and finish it off it will be up on B&C, no reason not too really as this place is the central for warhammer on the internet (in my opinion).

Understrength Sanctum 1st Urban Assault Force out

Also if the Mechanicus found out you were all sacrificing holy relics they'd have you shot, and then send in a team to get the hulks back from wherever they've got too. That means you James!

Unfortunately as they are expensive I'm going to have to flesh out my army first (more Russes and Infantry squads when I get the time) but the moment I get it and finish it off it will be up on B&C, no reason not too really as this place is the central for warhammer on the internet (in my opinion).

Also if the Mechanicus found out you were all sacrificing holy relics they'd have you shot, and then send in a team to get the hulks back from wherever they've got too. That means you James!

I think the Admech are too busy trying to find out who that commander that lost 100 Baneblades was to bother coming after me!

I think the Admech are too busy trying to find out who that commander that lost 100 Baneblades was to bother coming after me!

They know it was Vance Stubbs, but his awesomeness is sufficient for the Mechanicum to simply write off the matter as one of asset transfer.  He did (probably) win the campaign and as the maxim says, "victory needs no explanation defeat allows none."

As for which to use, I have a Baneblade and a Shadowsword and of the two the Shadowsword rarely is worth it in smaller games (less than 4,000 points), but I run mine without sponsons for look, although it does give a very nice answer to the random Knight.  With sponsons it is considerably better due to more shots to be split, but it still is really bought for that 5" D blast.  In the larger games, the long ranged D shot does make it more worthwhile.  The Baneblade is a bully, it just slaps around everything smaller than it, making it ideal when you do not expect to face more than one opposing super heavy.  The Doomhammer is somewhat similar, but with a greater focus on being an assault vehicle and carrying units into battle who can also provide protection to it.  It does have slightly less firepower, but the magma cannon hits a smaller area harder and it is cheaper.  The Banehammer is similar to the Doonhammer, but AP3 ignores cover with a freebie dangerous terrain test for the 7" template.  The Banesword is like a cheaper Shadowsword, using a larger, but weaker template that has a minimum range, but double the total range, making it somewhat more suited to those large table game.  Hellhammers are neat and very good on smaller tables.  The range is quite limited, but there is nowhere to hide from the main gun.  It is quite the formidable beast, but as the table size increases, its value decreases, although that is not to say it becomes bad, just that the 36" range means it becomes less dominate. Similar to that is the Stormsword which is the same, but sacrifices the turret to make the 7" template the 10" one instead.  The Stormlord is a pure anti-infantry tank.  You just want to load it up with a combination of Heavy Weapons Squads and Special Weapons Squads, find a nice firing line where the tank can be sure to get cover and just unleash on the waves of infantry coming its way, never moving.

Baneblades, Baneswords, Shadowswords and Stormswords also can be command tanks which grant all the nifty High Command formation benefits and makes it an HQ.  Of these, all but the Stormsword can take Commissariat crew which gives a 12" Ld10 bubble around the massive vehicle.  Baneblades also get the bonus when run in units of 3-5 of the Steel Fury Baneblade Company which can make their combined Baneblade cannon shooting more devastating against vehicles.  Another Baneblade to look at the the Fortress of Arrogance, which is just like a regular Baneblade with a set of sponsons, but with a doubled radius on the Commissariat bubble and a bonus that Ork Codex units halve their charge range to the tank.  Plus it comes with Yarrick as his dedicated transport (transport capacity: Yarrick). Traitor's Bane is a Hellhammer with two sets of sponsons that has stealth or shrouded depending upon what shoots at it.  Also, there is the oop datasheet for the Shadowsword Iron Saint, but not all groups still allow it.  Not much of a primer, but a quick and dirty run down of what is out there for the kit. 

One of the most beautiful things about superheavy tanks is that each weapon chooses its own target independently, and there are no 'weapon destroyed' results to worry about. A base (nothing but the D cannon) shadowsword, for example, is hardly worth its points in even the best case...but for 110 points more...you get nine more weapons, and then it really shines, no matter the enemy! Sox, your hellhammer looks just plain mean...but do I detect twinlinked heavy flamers? Blech! They'll never kill anything!!! msn-wink.gif

One of the most beautiful things about superheavy tanks is that each weapon chooses its own target independently, and there are no 'weapon destroyed' results to worry about. A base (nothing but the D cannon) shadowsword, for example, is hardly worth its points in even the best case...but for 110 points more...you get nine more weapons, and then it really shines, no matter the enemy! Sox, your hellhammer looks just plain mean...but do I detect twinlinked heavy flamers? Blech! They'll never kill anything!!! msn-wink.gif

He would need some sort of tactical genius to get close enough to the enemy to use them...

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2009/6/22/39295-Creed,%20Tactical%20Genius.jpg

That, or the enemy would need to be foolish enough to willingly approach within TLHF range with carapace (or worse) armored troops...then again, maybe that's the point?  TLHF screams "stay away!!!"

Jesus there are some tough Baneblade players out there, also if you can Hide a titan in a pool you can hide a Hellhammer no worries.

That makes sense, sox, a built-in nerf for a beast of a tank...and it might be ruled that way in the escalation supplement, but in the APOC book both sponson pairs default to heavy bolters with an optional upside, downgrade to flamers...Actually, the flamers are not a bad idea, they're a great deterrent, your tank is a lot more vulnerable to melta and melee than it is to longer-ranged shooting...

The Hellhammer is specifically designed for close combat/urban fighting. Hence all the ignore cover weapons. One of the biggest reasons I take a super-heavy is that she becomes a bullet magnet. My opponent almost invariably becomes fixated on killing the big ugly on the table and ignores everything else. Well worth the points in my opinion.

• 3 months later...

Disclaimer: I will only field this in 3500+ point games because its expensive but worth it. The Sol Invictus pattern Stormlord (SL) has 4 Sponsons for 100 points and an additional Heavy Bolter (HB) for 10 points along with a Heavy Stubber (HS) for 5 points. That brings this Stormlord to 595 points. The damage output from this beast is unmatched! Vulcan Mega Bolter (VMB): (if stationary to shoot the main gun twice) Shoots 30 S 6 AP 3. 6 Twin-linked HBs: Shoots 18 S 5 AP 4. 3 HS Shoots 9 S4 AP6. 4 Lascannons (LC) shoots 4 S9 AP2.

I love to throw several Heavy Weapons (HW) teams to the cargo since you can transport 40 models and fire 20 of them via the fire ports. Since HWs are considered Bulky, I put 3 of them in there which takes up 18 slots. 1 LC team with 3 LCs and 2 Autocannon (AC) teams (Shoots 2 S7 AP4). Add 2 Special Weapon (SW) teams with 3 Plasma Guns (Shoots 1 or 2 S7 AP2) each. Let’s not forget that everything in this tank has Preferred Enemy because of the relic. 

Another thing to keep in mind, every weapon can fire at a different target and so can each unit. You can take a lot of your opponent’s army out before they can even blink an eye! High risk, high reward!

Archived