Ratling Snipers?

Has anyone used these little dudes to good effect? On paper they seem pretty solid with BS4, stealth, infiltrate, the ability to shoot and then run and they're fairly cheap. I think that they would be good candidates to take down things like MCs, Wraithknights and other high toughness models. What are your thoughts on using them?

Good effect... well, they don't cost much but are suspect to dice rolls for precision shots. They're good shots and Stealth helps and more importantly they don't cost that much so you can get a small squad with spare points and have them plink away at things. They often attract some fire, but are priceless for those times they roll well and take out crucial models. As such they can turn the tide of a battle, just don't rely on them as sniper rifles are unreliable.

I think they're more of a 'why not' unit rather than 'why would'. If you've got the spare points they're worth inclusion just incase they get a few lucky shots off. If they get lucky or annoy your opponent enough they'll take the heat off some other unit. If they are ignored by your opponent at some point in the game they'll do something useful. And your opponent will be kicking themselves for not getting rid early on.

Win win either way. ;)

I love my snipers. I usually take 1-2 5 men squads. Infiltrating, stealth, bf4, precision shots, cheap.

In one Game i had 3 ratlings. First turn 3 shots Hits with 3x6, made 3 wounds and the chaos lord failed his 3 4++ throws.

I've found the sniper rifles to be underwhelming. On paper they seem like they should be good but I've just never had them kill much. For their points they are good though since they can be s good distraction unit, tending to attract much more fire than they warrant. They weather the storm well with their special rules.

Back in 3rd, I lost 5 terminators to two turns of ratling shooting...that's from five ratlings...they can certainly surprise you, but they usually don't change the course of the battle.  They're okay, something to spend leftover points on...except that I spend my leftover points on sentinels, or flamers for my vets, depending on how many points are left over.

I haven't used the 7th edition Ratlings yet. But for the points, they can cause some real issues for your opponent. Cheaper than a special weapon squad and more effective too.

I see lots of big models in my area, bugs, 'tides, and wraith-whatevers. They have the potential to wound things much easier than a Punisher can! I've used Scout Snipers to great effect. Aim for the big guys or the infantry units that are giving you issues, bikes, devastators, command units and make your opponent think!

Now they are situational, and I do love my Sentinels... Give them a shot some time and see how they do for you. I love the models, so I am slightly more biased

I am seriously considering using the Cadian snipers as a stand in Ratlings squad as I seem to keep getting them from somewhere... A couple of rough and ready conversions to try to mix up the pose and they should look ok.

• 1 month later...
"The wrong person in the right place in the right can make all the difference." Good Gman quote, quite relevant to ratlings in my opinion. I find they are good at killing hqs and independent characters. they are like my lucky men, most of my good rolls are from their shots. No matter what type of list, If you got spare points then get a few.

Archived