Need advice on some units (Veterans and psykers)

Sawtooth

Hi all. I'm getting back into 40k after some time away. Still not sure which army to start with but I've found some of my old IG models and was curious about some things.

First, I used to use veterans in Chimeras and it seems it's still a good way to run them. The grenadier carapace armor option seems very cheap this edition, is that the recommended way to run them these days? What do you use to model the carapace armor?

Second, I notice there are a lot of psyker options now. Astropaths, Primaris Psykers, that psyker elite unit. Can the Guard actually run a psyker heavy force effectively? It seems like having some support with, say, divination is a good idea but can the army go crazy with it? I've read about Grey Knight, Demon, and Eldar armies that rock the psychic phase and was just interested if that was a thing this edition.

Wecome back to the Guard!

If you got the points Carapace is a great option to keep your Veterans alive a little bit longer. I equip my Vets with Carapace. I don't model something on them, I just tell my opponent that these units have Carapace armour.

I only use a Primaris and with mixed results, but nothing I rely upon, the big guns and massed flashligts however...

Welcome back! :D How long have you been away? As quite a bit could have changed depending on the time scale. Veteran forces can do well, you just need to play them a bit differently. Psykers can be fun but aren't a strength for us, they can be good support units though such as divination as you say.

Let us know if you have any more questions, do you have pictures of your army?

Concerning psykers:

- Wyrdvane: are crap. Expensive, squishy, do not contribute in any significant way.

- Primaris: Pure gold with ML2 in any blob, has his uses as auxiliary melee fighter but is also excellent for shooty blobs.

- Inquisition Psyker: Twinlinking artillery and tanks. Warp charge generator.

- Inquisitor w/psy: Smaller Primaris with super powers. Useful for melee heavy blobs.

- Astropath: Shriek is useful no doubt, but I am not sold on him. Too many eggs in the basket.

Welcome back! biggrin.png How long have you been away? As quite a bit could have changed depending on the time scale. Veteran forces can do well, you just need to play them a bit differently. Psykers can be fun but aren't a strength for us, they can be good support units though such as divination as you say.

Let us know if you have any more questions, do you have pictures of your army?

The last time I played Guard was...4th edition maybe? I've had bad luck sticking with the game because a lot of gaming stores have come and gone in my area, making it hard to find a good place to play. I'm mostly curious because digging through my storage boxes I've found some old stuff, mostly unpainted (or horribly painted). I've got some Cadians, very old Chaos Marines, and a few test marines for a Black Templar paint scheme I tried to do a few years ago. I'm a terrible painter, unfortunately.

I'd probably be going for list balanced between infantry and armor. Veterans just seemed the natural thing to stick in Chimeras for an armored fist squad. I also have no experience with the new psychic system, though I also played Fantasy and it seems very similar to the magic system there.

I appreciate the replies, though. My roomate and another friend play now so we're going to set up some demo games just to give me a feel for things this edition before I actually settle on an army.

I like to put forward sentries on vets...gives them 3+ cover in ruins.  If you have a CCS nearby, they can even get a 2+ by going to ground and still recover and shoot (mine rock an autocannon per squad)...since you usually have a hand in the distribution of objectives, it's not hard to ensure that the vets can claim one while dakka-ing from cover.

Psychers...meh.  I'm working towards an allied GKL for daemon insurance, and when there are no daemons in the game, that guy can take divination instead, but I don't see much value in our own psychers.  Oh,  and the obligatory GK troops choice?  Five strike marines...excellent counter-assault, or deepstrike them to distract the enemy from rushing your lines!  Hence, not really a tax!

I'm having fun with my Psykers! I take an Astropath in the command squad and put them in a Chimera. Psychic Shriek out the top of the tank gets some good range and was able to pop a 9 man Salamander squad.

Like Bionicman said, putting a level 2 Primaris in a blob squad helps out too. Go for the Divination discipline and cause havoc. I was able to get Misfortune onto a marine command squad once that then got chewed up by my two Punishers! Loved it! Well, I did, my opponent didn't...happy.png

I haven't gone near the wyrdvane psykers. I just don't see a need or use for them that doesn't result in their dying horribly or quickly... Although, they can always go for daemonology... and sacrifice one of their own if needed.

As for the veterans, I can't help. My guys are grunts and don't live past 15 hours to attain veteran status...

Archived