Assault Squads?

Ion

So I'm looking into making an investment into my SoH army and getting myself a Forgeworld Assault Squad pack.

My query is if they are a viable choice in a SoH army considering there's also access to Reaver Squads? I don't plan to run the Black Reaving, and I'm still contemplating whether or not to use Pride of the Legion seeing as I have a 10 man of Cataphractii already.

If you do use Pride of the Legion then Breachers, Assault and Tactical Squads can no longer be used as compulsory troops. Only Terminators and Tac Vets.

For Assault Squads with Jump Packs, due to how Merciless Fighter rule works, a case can be made that they're the better option over Tac Marines due to their Bulky effectively doubling their number for the purposes of the rule.

But, then you have the Reaver Squads who are effectively more flexible so, in the grand scheme of thing, make more sense to take especially with Black Reaving where they're troops.

Is it the models you want to use or the rules and fielding assault marines specifically?

My reason for asking is if it's just the models and/or the jump packs specifically, you could make full use of magnets.  By doing so, you could field them as Assault troops or Destroyers, or even to bolster your tacticals when using the CCW option.  Yes, you'd have to magnetise the jump pack and back pack, as well as the second arm for pistol/ccw, and have dedicated models for the special weapons etc, but it is doable if you have the money and time to invest to give you the maximum options available so you can field what's best when needed.

I'd like to use both the models and the rules since I like the idea of having at least one rapid movement and response force without going for rhino riders

(also didn't realise that Pride dropped all the usual troops options, dang it)

I'm not really sure I want to go for the Black Reaving ROW though, but it's hard to be sure if taking the assault marines is worth it due to the aforementioned flexibility of Reavers :s

He's a lot of points for a character I'd only be using to turn Reavers as a Troops option

After looking at the points cost, it seems that a Reaver and Assault squad are generally similar sizes, but the Assault Squad can have five more members and that's about the only thing that makes it better (well, that and not requiring either a character or specific RoW)

I mean, I suppose I could use the normal assault marines as Reavers if I didn't have a squad of regular assault marines as well, considering the force is meant to be both loyalist and playable in late-Preheresy settings as well....

He is cheaper than the other costs required.

140pts vs 170pts for Delegatus and Master if Signal, limited to Max 2 Heavy Support and required 1 Min Fast Attack.

I mean if you were going to follow those limitations anyway, sure, no problem. But considering the Fast Attack is arguably the weakest and Heavy Supoort the strongest options, Black Reaving adds little that Maloghurst doesn't already do for you.

That's assuming I was using a Delegatus, I'd rather be using a Praetor as my HQ unless there was a really good reason not to bother. I mean, I could technically still take Mal, but I really want to make sure that it's necessary. 

Is there truly no benefit for me to take an Assault squad as one of my troops choices?

IMHO, Short of your Merciless Fighter bonus attacks from having counts as 40 dudes (Assault Marines count as bulky) and having fast moving scoring units I dont think so. Reavers are much better at assault duties than regular Assault Marines, especially if you plan on using Black Reaving or taking Maloghurst since Reavers are scoring.  

That's assuming I was using a Delegatus, I'd rather be using a Praetor as my HQ unless there was a really good reason not to bother. I mean, I could technically still take Mal, but I really want to make sure that it's necessary. 

Is there truly no benefit for me to take an Assault squad as one of my troops choices?

So, it's 180pts. The point is the same.

IMHO, Short of your Merciless Fighter bonus attacks from having counts as 40 dudes (Assault Marines count as bulky) and having fast moving scoring units I dont think so. Reavers are much better at assault duties than regular Assault Marines, especially if you plan on using Black Reaving or taking Maloghurst since Reavers are scoring.  

I wasn't intending on either the Reaving or Mal, but it's seeming like if I wanted to use an 'assault' unit as troops that I'd have to, based on what I'm getting told here which is unfortunate.

Archived