Legio Tempestus and it's confused History

I've been reading as much as I can on this Legio and their relationship with the Mechanicus both prior, during and post Heresy. During the Heresy the Legion's homeworld was Mars but a lot of the Legio was out on Crusade in the Ultima Segmentum, and so the Legio split it's loyalities during the heresy, the traitor parts taking the forgeworld in the Estaban system as it's main supply source, all this is according to the Horus Heresy: Conquest.

After the Heresy In the book Titanicus, it appears the home of the now loyal Legio is on Orestes which is supposedly a major supply world for the Sabbat Wars in the Segmentum Pacificus.

However and here's the discrepancy I've just picked up on. According to the recent Imperial Knight Codex, Orestes is in fact now located right next to or in the Estaban System on the edge of the Ultima Segmentum.

So apparently the now loyalist Legio Tempestus is based out of the former Traitor Forgeworld's system. The biggest problem being Orestes seems to of jumped to the opposite side of the Galaxy. In Titanicus the reason Orestes was guarded poorly was because the engines of Legio Tempestus had been deployed to the nearby Sabbat Crusade, but now that doesn't quite make sense.

It's just a little confusing, do we now discount Titanicus as the locations don't seem to line up, or am I missing something? The location of Orestes being in Segmentum Pacificus is further reinforced by the inclusion of a man from Tanith and the decoration of the Governors suit using Nalwood which is from Tanith.

From what I read on Lexicanum, it seems the original Legio Tempestus from Mars was destroyed during the Martian Civil War against the Legio Mortis Titans (from the novel Mechanicum) and somehow re-founded later on Orestes - a situation not unheard of in the Imperium: I remember at least one or two Space Marines Chapters being founded with the same colours and insigna of destroyed Chapters

That was what I was thinking too. they may have been refounded on Orestes after the events of mechanicum. as for the location... who knows mayber there are two planets with the same name in the entire galaxy?

Perhaps, but it must be a massive coincidence that one of the Orestes is situation right next to the system the former traitors held as their own.

Horus heresy book 4 addresses this issue. Basically there were three distinct factions of Tempestus spread out during the Great Crusade. 1 section was located on mars which was their primary base. That group was wiped out during the Mechanicum Civil war. 

Tempestus actually had two additional forgeworlds upon which they had servicing and defensive rights Estaban III and Orestes Colonia (which would become Orestes forge) 

Basically the majority of the Legion that wasn't on Mars during the schism went traitor and established themselves on Estaban III, the remaining minority (which was briefly mentioned in Book 4: Conquest, likely found shelter on Orestes.

To summarize, they used to be stationed on mars until that fortress was destroyed in Mechanicum. All the remaining loyal elements resettled on Orestes. So, Tempestus was never 'refounded' simply the loyal units which didn't defect found sanctuary on Orestes which was one of the Legio's domains. 

The issue wasn't where the Legio is now based, the issue was it seems to be in a totally different part of the galaxy now. The thing with Estaban and Orestes was merely me thinking how interesting it was the legio is now based out of the area where the traitors were.

Could also be that the traitors were purged from the Legio, which made amends after the Heresy with some incredibly-pious penance and went on with its business.  It wouldn't be the first time something like this happened - for example, the Lamenters and the Badab War.

Archived