Bloodbath reporting as ordered Sir.

You know full well we want that tutorial sooner rather than later laugh.pngmsn-wink.gif

+1

that is a great conversion.

I also thought of Advanced Warefare style exo-suits to Count as Ogryns. or something closer to the movie Edge of Tomorrow.

and I am gonna use an alternate model for the Ratling Snipers. I just really dislike the Abhuman thing, and the Ratling minis look ridiculous as heck, IMO.

I have to admit, they've always been the Imperial Guard to me, and they always will be. Storm Troopers were a fairly new thing to me, when I got out of the hobby. But Hellguns sounds catchier than Hot Shot las... 

Always a quick way to identify a Veteran Guardsman laugh.png

By the use of the term Hellguns? Nah, that's rookie slang. Old school Guard call them Hotshots, like they did when my Gramps was a Stormtrooper.

http://orks.dylangould.com/images/2nd_edition/14/IMG_5746.jpg

To explain for those who weren't around, they were Hotshots in 2nd ed* and Necromunda, then got changed to Hellguns in 3rd ed and stayed as Hellguns until the Millitarum Tempestus Codex changed them back again in 6th (or were they changed in the 6th ed rulebook?).

Here ends your Commissariat sanctioned history lesson, from your friendly local Drill Abbot. You at the back, yes you! It stops picking it's nose or it gets the hammer again.

* I can't remember if they were Hotshots or Hellguns in Rogue Trader, although I suspect they were Hotshots. That is if they even existed at all back then. The re-naming of stuff (eg Heavy Plasma Guns to Plasma Cannons and Starcannons, Eldar Lascannons to Bright Lances, Ork Bolters to Shootas, Eldar Dreadnoughts to Wraithlords etc) didn't really catch on until 3rd. As far as I know nothing changed names from RT to 2nd, but I no longer have the RT books to check sad.png.

Always a quick way to identify a Veteran Guardsman laugh.png

By the use of the term Hellguns? Nah, that's rookie slang. Old school Guard call them Hotshots, like they did when my Gramps was a Stormtrooper.

http://orks.dylangould.com/images/2nd_edition/14/IMG_5746.jpg

To explain for those who weren't around, they were Hotshots in 2nd ed* and Necromunda, then got changed to Hellguns in 3rd ed and stayed as Hellguns until the Millitarum Tempestus Codex changed them back again in 6th (or were they changed in the 6th ed rulebook?).

Here ends your Commissariat sanctioned history lesson, from your friendly local Drill Abbot. You at the back, yes you! It stops picking it's nose or it gets the hammer again.

* I can't remember if they were Hotshots or Hellguns in Rogue Trader, although I suspect they were Hotshots. That is if they even existed at all back then. The re-naming of stuff (eg Heavy Plasma Guns to Plasma Cannons and Starcannons, Eldar Lascannons to Bright Lances, Ork Bolters to Shootas, Eldar Dreadnoughts to Wraithlords etc) didn't really catch on until 3rd. As far as I know nothing changed names from RT to 2nd, but I no longer have the RT books to check sad.png.

I've got a feeling they were hotshot in RT days. When I get a chance I'll dig the old book out.

Strangely enough I've got several squads worth of those old storm troopers in to strip at the moment. They will shine once more this ETL. :D

Those hats, though.  They look positively dashing!  I know I struggle to call them "Tempestus Scions", too.  Stormtroopers just works (though I suppose they don't want to get sued by Disney).

Disney can't sue over stormtroopers, as it's a word in common usage, and it has existed since before Star Wars was even a thing. So on those grounds I don't think it can be trademarked, or copywrited or any of that, which is why (I believe) GW wanted to change it. They can't trademark Storm trooper (or any variation therein) or Imperial Guard, so they changed the names to something they could trademark, and thus "protect" their intellectual property (read: sue everyone).  

Space Marine (which is trademarked in the UK, but not in the US) will also likely change (as it has been around in the US lexicon since Heinlein's Starship Troopers, IIRC), to Adeptus Astartes, which is already trade marked as GW IP.

TL;DR, Screw GW's renaming, They'll always be Space Marines, Imperial Guard, Hellguns, and Stormtroopers to me.

The term "space marine" does not appear anywhere in Starship Troopers -- they are Mobile Infantry (M.I.) in that book -- but the term has definitely existed for a long time in various science fiction works. There are space marines in Ender's Game (book not idea about the movie as I've not seen it), for example.

I have no issue with hotshot lasguns, I like the old school (2nd edition) nomenclature. And they were hotshots in the 6th ed. codex, it's not a 7th edition thing. The old hellguns were pretty irrelevant anyway. Str 3 AP 5, they basically had lasguns. At least now, while not a great as some people wish they were, they have the potential of doing something that lasguns can't.

Disney can't sue over stormtroopers, as it's a word in common usage, and it has existed since before Star Wars was even a thing. So on those grounds I don't think it can be trademarked, or copywrited or any of that, which is why (I believe) GW wanted to change it. They can't trademark Storm trooper (or any variation therein) or Imperial Guard, so they changed the names to something they could trademark, and thus "protect" their intellectual property (read: sue everyone).  

Space Marine (which is trademarked in the UK, but not in the US) will also likely change (as it has been around in the US lexicon since Heinlein's Starship Troopers, IIRC), to Adeptus Astartes, which is already trade marked as GW IP.

TL;DR, Screw GW's renaming, They'll always be Space Marines, Imperial Guard, Hellguns, and Stormtroopers to me.

WORD!

oh, and there are also space marines in the book Crisis on Doona by Anne McAffree

Nicodemus, I didn't mean to imply that it was in the book, I don't recall it being in there, I simply meant to imply that the term has been around at least that long to describe that concept. 

I'm not saying the new rules for the Hotshots/Hellguns are bad, just that the expanded nomenclature Hot Shot Las gun is a bit cumbersome.

Bloodbath, That proves the name predates Warhammer 40k.

I've got a feeling they were hotshot in RT days. When I get a chance I'll dig the old book out.

Strangely enough I've got several squads worth of those old storm troopers in to strip at the moment. They will shine once more this ETL. biggrin.png

I'm looking forward to that. I have fond memories of those models.

No, because of the loud refusal to use "Astra Militarum" tongue.png It went Hotshots > Hellguns > super lasgun or whatever the kids call them these days.

Astramillimeters. Never heard of them. Is that some new-fanged Mechanicus measurement?

So, having perused the main "the rules" book briefly........unbound armies. Does that term just describe the "take whatever the hell you want on your army list" method of for a building.

What I mean is, if I where to take a little bit from each "imperial" codex and lump them into one army, that's legal?

Sounds an aweful lot like small scale apocalypse.

You're right, that's more or less what unbound is. You lose the benefits of a Battle Forged army in doing so though, many like myself recommend a normal FOC army as it focuses you but for the weird and wonderful you can't beat unbound for doing exactly what you want!

Strangely enough I've got several squads worth of those old storm troopers in to strip at the moment. They will shine once more this ETL. biggrin.png

I'm looking forward to that. I have fond memories of those models.

Currently trying to get them stripped. I seem to have used a different paint on them many years ago.

The command benefits are nice to have, formations give you some fun things to do too, but unbound can be fun since you can take whatever your heart desires. However, if you take an unbound detachment it makes your whole army unbound, negating any command benefits your other detachments might have. So be careful with how you decide to play it...

Archived