Nielfheim Planetary Guard- The 2SSF and the 172AD-WIP

I did some thinking, and after trying the elysian drop troops rules, I've made some changes to my thinking. I have decided to employ a a combination of rules in my lists.

I have Militarum Tempestus as the core of my army, using allies from the main codex, and eventually some Elysians.

The following is all at 1850 pts.

Militarum Tempestus CAD:

Tempestus Command Squad

-Vox, 2 Volley Guns, Medi-pack

MT Squad 1

-Vox, 2PGs, Sergeant w/BP/PF, 4HSLG

-Taurox Prime w/ Auger, Camo-netting, dozer blade, volley guns, SB, TBC.

MT Squad 2

-Vox, 2PGs, Sergeant w/BP/PF, 4HSLG

-Taurox Prime w/ Auger, Camo-netting, dozer blade, volley guns, SB, TBC.

MT Squad 3

-Vox, 2 Volley Guns

Valkyrie

-HB sponsons, Lascannon, Rocket Pods

Astra Militarum AD:

Lord Commissar

-PP, Power Sword, Carapace armor

Grenadier Vet Squad

-Vox, 3GL, Krak Grenades

Vendetta

-HB sponsons

Imperial Knight IKD:

Knight Paladin

Fortification:

1 Vengeance Weapons Battery w/battlecannon

For my standard AM vets, I'm actually using some Privateer Press Trencher Infantry that I had lying around. I figured they'd get more use this way, and they have a very similar aesthetic to the MT Scions. I decided to theme my Guard army after the WW2 1st Special Service Force (The Devil's Brigade), and in WW2 there was still a lot of 19th century and WW1 era influence in weapons and equipment with new aesthetics beginning to creep in, so I kinda chose to do my force in this transitional style. 

I decided to model my tactics after the 101st airborne, and 10th Mountain divisions, since both are airmobile light infantry units with light vehicle support, and both have their roots in WW2. This in combination with the Commando tactics pioneered by the Devils Brigade and the British Commandos.

I'm putting the knight and the vengeance battery in here because it's the only real source of heavy firepower my guard have right now, until I can scrape the cash together for tanks, or artillery models. I'm the local gaming venue, so I can allow third party models.

What do you think of my concept? I think it should be a lot of fun to play, and seems like a fun starting place, and then I'll be adding in other regiments and divisions for my other combat support forces. 

I really like this list. There aren't any shenanigans with it and it looks like it'd be really fun to play. My only concern is about heavy infantry and your lack of plasma but I guess the Tauroxes could handle them.

Cool name and history lesson thumbsup.gif!

My Scions are handling the AP3 and lower, so they can get in and wreck the heavy infantry. The Tauroxes are there to support the Scions with some volley guns and the Taurox Battlecannon. It also provides deep strike aid, so units won't scatter (due to the Auger Array) within 6 inches. Which will help in getting my Vet squad out of the Valkyrie. I need a second Vendetta and then my air support component will be complete. 

I'll be adding more vets, chimeras, and tanks (from a different regiment) as well as an armored sentinel squadron or two. I'll also be adding baneblades at some point. This is my primary force though, and I'm not a tournament player, so I'm not concerned with winning so much as having fun.

I'll be posting pics of the painting progress as well.

I'll be using red Berets, because that's the Airborne's color. I have the army primed, and I'm working on my small squad of Scions, I'll post pics when they're done. 

WP 20150405 001

WP 20150405 002

WP 20150405 003

I hate painting cockpits, so I'm going to mirror the canopies, because I think it looks cool. That's why I primed the whole thing.

WP 20150405 004

Here's a test of my color scheme, this is the one I have had in my mind since I began to build this army. I still wanted them to be complimentary to my Space Wolves, and since the Historic Devils Brigade often operated in alpine or arctic environments, so I'm going with an appropriate color scheme. 

WP 20150405 006

WP 20150405 008

WP 20150405 009

WP 20150405 011

This is only the first, and he's not quite done yet...

Looking like a solid plan. The Imperial Knight is going to be a great addition I think even if it feels dirt(BLAM Heresy). I still want a batrep of how this drop army plays out on the field for you.

As an aside, you mentioned you own the store so you can use alternate models you like. What is your experience with using alternate models in 40k? Do people protest, are they fine with it? I have seen quite a few side options for vets(umpteen hundred for krieg) and possibly scions(who probably should look just like vets when they are both in carapace) but I am worried that I would not be able to play with them. Dreamforge Games Eisenkern is a good example. They look very cool, but are definitely visibly different from their GW Counterparts.

Looking like a solid plan. The Imperial Knight is going to be a great addition I think even if it feels dirt(BLAM Heresy). I still want a batrep of how this drop army plays out on the field for you.

As an aside, you mentioned you own the store so you can use alternate models you like. What is your experience with using alternate models in 40k? Do people protest, are they fine with it? I have seen quite a few side options for vets(umpteen hundred for krieg) and possibly scions(who probably should look just like vets when they are both in carapace) but I am worried that I would not be able to play with them. Dreamforge Games Eisenkern is a good example. They look very cool, but are definitely visibly different from their GW Counterparts.

My experience is most casual game days folks don't care much, as long as the models clearly represent what they're meant to be.  Just to be safe, I always announce which unit I'm deploying when I do so, and what they have on whom.  If an opponent doesn't care, that's his issue, though I make my list available too.

For tournaments, WYSIWYG is more important than who made the model.  There's no standard rule requiring "50% GW product" or something like that, and since GW has pulled out of tournies in either case, I consider that a non-issue.  That said, it's always a good idea to ask the TO or campaign master or whatever if you're using notably odd models.

In either case, good to see this project moving along; look forward to seeing a coat of paint on these gents!

I don't own the store. I own the table and the armies. Since it's my table, my rules, If someone wanted to play an army built entirely of third party models, I wouldn't care as long as they're using a GW codex. The only other place to play  is the Hobbytown (that I know of) but that gaming community is more about Warmachine, which is fun I guess (I've only played once, and I got some models to play it, but I keep coming back to warhammer and battletech). This hobby is expensive, and if you can save money and still field an army, I'm fine with it. Infantry and Knights are one thing, but the tanks should look close to GW product, and power armor should be similar. The Trencher Infantry looked like they were wearing trench coats and carapace armor, and their rifles looked similar to the vostroyan rifles (traditional rifles) and the special weapons are rifle grenades (which makes sense as GL). and with the New admech that's come out, there is definately some steampunk aesthetic moving into 40k, so suddenly the trenchers seemed perfect. 

In my last meta, the FLGS was a Games Workshop store, and naturally "no third party models allowed". The Store manager didn't enforce that too heavily, since he thinks that it hinders enjoyment of the game. He did stipulate that if you didn't support the store (by purchasing something from him) you weren't guaranteed a table. I could probably take my proxies in and be fine, since I have spent so much money in that store. 

But here I'm the venue, and that's fine with me, beside it's me and a group of friends, and in a store you can't drink beer and play games, at my place you can...

Yeah, I know, but the idea is to use the battle cannon to hammer his forces, before mine arrive, or to hammer one flank while my troops hit the other.

Also the scatter doesn't really affect me that much with my disgustingly low rolls (great for getting a one inch scatter at BS2, not so great when I want my guardsmen to hit or make saves...).

I have a ton on my plate right now, with papers coming up and Finals in a few weeks and the HvZ game going on, finding time to paint is going to be rough. But I have a weekend coming up so I'll probably do more there. 

Sorry for the slight Necro, but this is my army thread and I don't want to inundate the forum with new topics that already have topics.

I was thinking about my army design, and I was wondering if using Elysian Drop Troops would be a better fit for my regular IG allied detachment, since that would get both of my fliers in the list, as well as getting the Valkyrie on the board first turn, with a bay full of troops to put on the table. Sure this kind of negates the plan of using the regular guard to get the armor in, but I still have my plan to use the steel host, and I can get my super-heavies in using my Tempestus detachment.

What do you think of that plan? 

Should work as long as you're familiar with the requirements for each detachment.  It's not easy to keep track of all those compulsory units, so make sure you double check your list!

Yeah, It wasn't going to be a really complicated allied detachment, just some grenadier demo melta vets, a commissar, a Valkyrie, and a Vendetta. Nothing too fancy, just what i need to get the job done. I might add some drop sentinels, and a second valkyrie with vet squad to the mix. 

• 3 weeks later...

Got some New models, I broke my rule, but I got a couple of Armored sentinels armed with plasma cannons, 2 boxes of Cadians, and a command squad. I'll post pictures of the Army so far later today, after I get the second box of Cadians built. Right now, I'm going for a CCS, 2 squads of Vets, and 1 Armored Sentinel Sqdn (2 ship). This will be in addition to the 2 Squads of Scions (10 man plasma), SCS (2 plasma 2 volley guns), and 1 Suicide Squad (5 man melta), my Vendetta, My Valkyrie and my Taurox Primes.

Question is, do I take the Taurox Primes as FA slots to put my vets in and deep strike my scions or put them in the Valkyrie and vendetta, or some combination of all of the above, or should I get chimeras for my vets and CCS?

Would I be better off bringing them all as one detachment, or as multiple combined arms detachments? Can one unit deploy inside a dedicated transport belonging to another unit?

The rule of not getting new models? Ah yes we all know that one... as we break it time and again :lol: I think things are better in a single detachment if possible, the Taurox would make for good Vet transports letting your Scions deep strike in or hitch a ride on a flyer. The Prime is much better than the normal Taurox, just expensive for it.

So question becomes, how do I get my vets in the Taurox Primes? Right now, my Guard kind aneed to be capped at 2000 points, just because of cost concerns. I can boost them up by taking allies for the moment, by taking an AD of Ravenwing, I can get some good mobile firepower and I can get some extra air support. 

Use the scions as an ally and buy the prime in the fast slot for your vets. The prime is such a versatile vehicle, and it fits your army style. For a CCS really a chimera is the best bet because you never have to get out for orders.

I was thinking of using a dual CAD arrangement, I'm going to put a scion squad and a vet squad in Taurox primes, and then run one of each in reserve. I'm thinking I'll try proxying chimeras with razorbacks for my AM though, that'll boost my points, while giving me the mobility and keeping most of my force on the table, and my Vendetta and my Valk will be used for CAS.

Anyway, the pictures: 

WP 20150505 001

WP 20150505 002

It's in various stages of paint, as my studies haven't allowed me an abundance of time.

All I really need now is a second command squad box to make replacements for the Heavy flamer vets and to make an Officer of the fleet and a Master of Ordinance and I need the second plasma gun, so I can replace two of the grenade launchers in the GL squad. Because I really like plasma...

Archived