Drop Pod units for Independent Characters

GreyCrow

Greetings battle brothers !

I'm currently considering a Drop Pod Dark Angels Force (with a Ravenwing/Deathwing Alpha Strike component) and because I've never ran any army like this, I wanted to have your opinion on how to run Independent Characters in such a Pod army ?

Now that the transport capacity has been reduced to 10 models, IC/squad combinations are less clear than before and I was curious to see how you fellow captains ran yours ?

Cheers !

I have been running just an understrength 8 man tactical squad with a melta and a combi melta. The pod has the template launcher and tries to zort a nearby infantry unit. My captain has a jump pack, a storm shield and hammer, and a combi melta. Turn one they try to melta kill something, then the tac squad holds tight, while the captain detaches and attacks something. (It's a small point league this time.) I like the tactical squad better than the captain, honestly. If I drop them a bit out of the way on a flank, they often survive in cover to get me linebreaker. The captain usually dies a glorious death.

Drop pods are suited to alpha strike. You will come down and be forced to disembark, meaning be in front of enemies with no vehicle to protect you. This means the best defense for the unit is destroying the target unit. Best way to do that is maxing out plasma. Its pretty good at killing everything.

Very good points guys, thanks !

I'm asking because I'm currently trying to make an interesting demi company Drop Pod list at around 1500 points with a Dreadnought support, but I'm having trouble making the HQ fit inside the Drop Pods. I'm trying to keep a Codex ahderent theme going on and for 1500 points a Command Squad in a Pod gets very expensive unfortunately. I thought about putting him on a Jump Pack and deep strike with the Assault Marines (which will be the only ones not in Pods) but that didn't feel good in my humble opinion.

The understrength Tactical Squad sounds like a good idea. I was planning to combat squad most of the Tactical Squads anyways, so I could easily make 2 Tactical Squads out of 1 and put an additional pod. 

Thanks for the ideas ! :)

I have recently spent a lot of time on a list for a 1000 pt tourney only using the models I have:

-Belial+5 TH/SS termies

-5 man TAC in pod melta gun, combi melta + metla bomb

-5 man TAC in pod melta gun, combi melta + melta bomb

-5 man TAC in pod plasma gun, plasma pistol

-4 Black Knights

So that gives me 2 pods , termies and bikes scouting for alpha strike.

I had the same problem of how to deploy a SC and taking Belial with the termies turned out to be nice solution for me.

Tdemayo, models equipped with Jump Packs cannot go in a Drop Pod. Sorry.

Where is this stated? I do not see it under the Drop Pod entry, and I do not see it under the Jump Pack entry. (I have the ibook version.)  It makes some sense that they could not, but I can't find anything that forbids Jump Packs or Bikes or Termies in a pod.  Am I looking in the wrong place?

Just to give some feedback on that list I posted here, I took it to a small regional tournament and went 3-2.It works really well in objective games as well as kill points.

What would be most important to Grey Crow is dropping Belial with 5 TH/SS termies, being able to place them exactly where you want to is something that is underestimated a lot!

Strange thing though is that where Belial and hes unit use to me my beat stick, I've learned that using them as a utility unit is a lot more usefull, making sure you can get the objective on the other side of the table or in one game I used them to heard a waveserpent away from the rest of the fight.

Archived