Does 'tech-heresy' count as heresy?

Just a question that's been floating in my head for the last few days.  Tech-heresy being 'tinkering' and other such things the Ad Mech usually turn people into servitors over. 

Would a sister of battle consider it heresy with a capitol 'H', deserving of purging with copious amounts of fire?  Or would the disconnect between ecclesiarchal imperial cult and mechanicus machine cult beliefs be too great for them to not care?

Expanding upon that, if they don't care, would they actively engage in tech-heresy? 

It's generally considered heresy, yes, however, if it is effective, the Mechanicum might determine that it is similar enough they might say it is an "intended STC function not previously discovered". I would think that there would have to be some combat reason for the alterations for this to happen, there would be a need for something they couldn't do otherwise, and it would have to be based on Imperial tech, if it has any hint of Xenos, I think it would be rejected pretty much outright since it seems like they'd lack a powerful enough sponsor (ie, they aren't the Grey Knights who can get away with almost anything) to make that work.

Based on "Hammer and Anvil," which is going to be biased, Sisters of Battle barely suffer the mechanicum's tech-heresy.  They would happily purge anyone they could and tend to be distrustful of any tech not directly connected to the Emperor.  They would not dabble in their own research much less get involved in anything approaching tech-heresy.  However, at the same time they will use an alien's xeno-tech against them if the opportunity arises.  So they may not carry anything to the battle beyond a bolter, melta and flamer but if it is on the battlefield it is fair game for use.

Not sure about the using xenotech on the battlefield, where's that idea come from?

As he said: "Hammer and Anvil" novel.

Spoilers ahead, do not read if you want to enjoy the book:

Currently reading it, pretty good read. It's got quite a bit of Sisters / Admech friction. But only cause the Admech are dubious at best, and the Canoness is a bit stuck up...

The sisters use Necron portals and "accept" a Sister with broken mindshackle scarabs implanted inside her (they don't completely trust her though), so they "use xenotech on the battlefield"

Hm, the portals I'll grant you, but they don't know about the mindshackle scarab until Verity pulls it out of her.

On top of that, its hardly 'using it on the battlefield'.

Wow, thanks for the insights everyone! Seems a shame that they'd shy away from non-approved equipment/technology considering their religious differences with the cogboys, as aside from the Inquisition they're the only group that could conceivably get away with it.

Then again I think the sisters are the only ones who should have the option of taking demon weapons, on account of their being the only ones pure of heart and faithful enough to resist corruption. Darn inquisitors get all the toys! laugh.png

but why would you need daemon weapons? Or Xenos technology? Or any other form of Tech Heresy?

The Emperor provides, and He provides the sisters with everything they need. All the tools to cleanse the heretic, purge the unclean and burn the alien. 

By bolter shell, flamer burst and melta blast, the mutant, the heretic and the traitor alike are cleansed of their sin of existence. So has it been for five millennia, so shall it be unto the end of time.
- Words of Devotion, Verses IV-V, Chapter X, Volume LII

James Swallow's version of the Adepta Sororitas  may not be the best example. 

How they view tech-heresy would depend on how they are told to view it.  There is not a lot of independent questioning of values outside of Swallow's works.  Would a basic battle sister even know tech-heresy if she saw it?  They would kill any heritic the church ordered them to eliminate of course without needing to know what form of heresy they were assumed guilty of practicing.  They aren't just shoot first; ask questions later kind of soldiers,  They shoot first, shoot second, shoot any survivors, say a prayer for the martyers and let any questions go unasked and forgotten through constant rituals and focused devotions.  It is this 24/7 dedicated worship that makes them highly resistant to psykers along with their other perks from faith. 

But!  It also means they tend to be used by those in authority above them.  Sure, some little inconveniences like the Age of Apostasy might happen but no Sister of Battle has ever stopped to ask herself "what if" in the dead of night.

Any way.  Greysparrow, if it is key to your story you might try bringing in a priest/cardinal/inquisitor and have them manipulate the Order as needed.

Hm, the portals I'll grant you, but they don't know about the mindshackle scarab until Verity pulls it out of her.

On top of that, its hardly 'using it on the battlefield'.

Spoilers again (although you've read it so for others really...)

The fact that they ask the Magos Tegas to open the "scroll" to infiltrate the Moon, to me clases as "use on the battlefield". They step out of a Monolith portal. So they are basically "using Necron Vehicles" or at least "using their technology" to further their own objectives. Picking up a Necron gun and firing it seems more tame than actively using one of their "displacement" devices tongue.png

But i'm quite fond of James Swallow's version of the Adepta Sororitas.

The existsing fluff does point at

"a prayer for the martyers and let any questions go unasked and forgotten through constant rituals and focused devotions"

but i could almost see that as propaganda, and the human nature itself opposes this, creating a universe much more like James Swallow's versions (Or that is my opinion)

In conclusion i'd say the fluff is flexible enough for you to think of it in whichever way you prefer msn-wink.gif

I don't like the James Swallow version of Sisters either. They're just so... watered down.

Not as bad as Chris Wraight's Sisters though. At least Swallows's Sisters are good at killing and defending things.

Oh, I enjoyed the stories and could see the action in my mind like a game on the table top ... which may not be a good thing really but it was fun.  While Myra is not a paradigm of the Sororitas by any means, I guess she works better than a talking head to direct the readers in the norms of 40K Sisters of Battle.

Anyway, this is getting way off topic.  I think there is enough wiggle room to get a little new tech in a minor Order's hands if your story needs it.  Especially if you could somehow make them believe they are recovering some of the Emperor's lost tech.

To answer the OP, the Sisters are usually not ones to break the rules. So i would not see a sister (even Miriya) by "chance" taking apart a Boltgun and then modding parts or otherwise commiting "Tech-Heresy". Only because they have their "Bolter Prayers" already, and would not dare break those Rites...

On the other hand, if a "heretic" Mechanicum agent gave them a new model of the Bolter and said "this is how it works" (Tech-Heresy) i don't think the sisters would question that too much and would just use the "new" weapons (and not consider the guy a "Heretic", even if the Mechanicum did....)

Archived