Adeptus Mechanicus - The first cogs of many.

Hey guys, I just wanted to showcase the new GW Adeptus mechanicus models that I have been working on over the weekend. Incredibly enjoyable models and I fully recommend them. I ma so uterly impressed that i will be createing a small force for myself once i get the book in my hands. I have put these guys up on eBay as an auction so please check them out if your interested.

Comments and criticism all welcome.

Rangers

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a501/TheFireDrakeStudio/IMG_0560_zps2jw4as4y.jpg

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a501/TheFireDrakeStudio/IMG_0570_zpswhsm60ee.jpg

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a501/TheFireDrakeStudio/IMG_0572_zpsthvxt1mx.jpg

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a501/TheFireDrakeStudio/IMG_0576_zpsjjetxgdw.jpg

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a501/TheFireDrakeStudio/IMG_0582_zpskd1jwehy.jpg

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a501/TheFireDrakeStudio/IMG_0584_zps3e8rblq1.jpg

Ironndstrider

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a501/TheFireDrakeStudio/IMG_0592_zpsysbaruj6.jpg

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a501/TheFireDrakeStudio/IMG_0594_zpsyqzdxwwg.jpg

Very nice! How customizable are the different models? How about posing?

SJ

I can tell you from having built two boxes of these guys that posing is just a little frustrating. The shoulders sometimes don't want to fit together right unless you do real careful dry-fitting. Using plastic-glue helps since you get more time to set the pieces into place. Similarly, each dood is made up of two chest pieces and one leg piece that fit flush together, and don't go with anything else.

The nice thing is that, even though all the special weapons are held the same, depending on the torso you put them on, they can come out looking very different. Unfortunately, because there's only ONE right arm holding a rifle with one hand, all of your Data-Tethers and Omnispexes are going to look very, very similar...

Glad to see the TL Cognis Autocannon and Lascannon are super easy to swap!  Definitely gives me confidence going forward on my project.

Yeah, it just slots in there snuggley, unless you tip it upside down it will not come out.

Very nice! How customizable are the different models? How about posing?

SJ

I can tell you from having built two boxes of these guys that posing is just a little frustrating. The shoulders sometimes don't want to fit together right unless you do real careful dry-fitting. Using plastic-glue helps since you get more time to set the pieces into place. Similarly, each dood is made up of two chest pieces and one leg piece that fit flush together, and don't go with anything else.

The nice thing is that, even though all the special weapons are held the same, depending on the torso you put them on, they can come out looking very different. Unfortunately, because there's only ONE right arm holding a rifle with one hand, all of your Data-Tethers and Omnispexes are going to look very, very similar...

I followed the instructions as i always do with new kits, but i dont see a great deal of swapping between legs and torsos. The long coats are cool and dynamic but they seem to only work with the correct legs. For example the braceing for shooting guys have buldges where there knees are on the coats making it look weird if you put them on the running legs. The arms are very dynamic too, verses say somthing like cadians. Lots of fun can be had mixing the arm and Body/leg combos.

You also get a nice mix of poses, perhaps too many running legs so its not a boreing kit.

As for mashing them with other kits....Well i really do look forward to seeing that what people come up with.

I love the cloaks. I'm a painting novice but I'd love to hear how you painted the reds.

Red is my favorite colour, so i always seem to do more to it. My base red of choice is GW Mephiston red. Its good for covering the model and is a nice rich colour. For shading i usually go to Rhinox hide, Using a normal paint with perhaps adding water or medium to let it flow more is more controlable then washes, less time tideing up (however washes are still great.). My highlights of choice are are wildrider red (My blood angles have an additional highlight of Tau cept orcer the new GW paint) which is personal preferance, its a bit naff at times.

In the case of these i used a few cheeky little Wet blends on the cloaks which are more visable in real life (you can see it on the leg plates of the walker). Adding Lahium medum to the paints so they are almost glazey, add it to the model and drag it out feathering it across the area untill its blended to nothing. After practice it will get easier but the key is the constitancey of the paint.

Hope it helps, any more questions please ask.

How hard was it to pose the long sniper rifle? I'm worried about the little stand it has.

The aiming pole? onces its on its base it has to contact points, to the base and too the rifle, plastic glue will keep it there fine. The base is big so you it should be protected from people grabbing him, they are more likley to grab the rifle.

I'm going to be going for a grey or off-white for my cloaks, but I love the reds here and I may use a few of these tricks on characters or special items.  I'm especially interested in trying out a glaze or two here, but I haven't nailed down what my offset color will be (eyes, scopes, that sort of thing).

I found a similar problem assembling mine, that the torso poses are very static.  This will probably disappoint a number of modelers, but it makes sense given the positioning of the cloaks.  You wouldn't be able to get in that level of dynamic cloak movement if the cloaks were sculpted statically, so I think these models make some sacrifices in customizability in favor of a better general appearance.  That said, the arms do offer more flexibility and I think the detail quality is literally the best on the market for plastic sprue models.

Will you be doing a unit of Sicarians as well?

oooh paint some Vanguard !! tongue.png

very good work there...and you just did it on the weekend.....blush.png it would take me the weekend to clean em up and undercoat em....LOL!

Q- are the bases resin or home made?

Cheers mithril

I'm going to be going for a grey or off-white for my cloaks, but I love the reds here and I may use a few of these tricks on characters or special items. I'm especially interested in trying out a glaze or two here, but I haven't nailed down what my offset color will be (eyes, scopes, that sort of thing).

I found a similar problem assembling mine, that the torso poses are very static. This will probably disappoint a number of modelers, but it makes sense given the positioning of the cloaks. You wouldn't be able to get in that level of dynamic cloak movement if the cloaks were sculpted statically, so I think these models make some sacrifices in customizability in favor of a better general appearance. That said, the arms do offer more flexibility and I think the detail quality is literally the best on the market for plastic sprue models.

Will you be doing a unit of Sicarians as well?

Well said. I am planning to get some eventually, i want to build a small to mid size force as a detachment or for small games. But im busy with other things so wont get chance for a bit.

oooh paint some Vanguard !! tongue.png

very good work there...and you just did it on the weekend.....blush.png it would take me the weekend to clean em up and undercoat em....LOL!

Q- are the bases resin or home made?

Cheers mithril

I do want some vanguard, but i will wait t oget the codex before i start getting more.

The bases are some made, using cork sheet, puttice, sand and a bit of gw barbed wire.

I love the paint job, and I also have a quick question: Are all of the rifles modelled into one/both hands, or are they seperate pieces a la bolters for space marines?

I'm considering using these as counts-as Veletaris from the 30k Solar Auxillia list, and that means I'd need to give them all Volkite chargers. Just want to know how easy that may be to do.

Thanks.

Archived