Primarchs as useful LoW choices? Lorgar specifically

bob sprocket

Howdee,

Newb looking for some feedback. Just getting my word bearers off the ground and playing around with army lists and LoW I can take.

I seem to get the idea that people aren't big fans of primarchs as a competitively good LoW choice? I get they're a lot of points for a single, not indestructible essentially combat only model, but my thoughts go specifically to Lorgar transcended. Harnessing warp charge on a 3+ In a legion that can take Burning Lore (ML1) on chaplain (compulsory choice) and other centurions to get extra warp charge. Being able to select powers as well; I'll take invis ( to protect a 20 man tact squad and lorgar as they barrel across the table - no plasma assassin sqds to take him down), and iron arm for T9! Even standing by himself with no invis a plasma assassin sqd will do sweet F A (forcing re rolls of 5/6s to wound.

He seems to be a force multiplier that is able to withstand anything except a VERY concerted effort to kill him. Strength D is also pretty well mitigated by invis because it stops any blast weapons and 6s to hit in combat. Stomp is the worry, but Thats life, if I'm in combat lorgar can probably do some serious damage to it first (warp speed as a third power for 3 more S10 attacks?)

Am I missing something and should just take a typhon instead? I've got a half assembled stormblade as well.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Nick

While they aren't indestructible, they are almost indestructible. If you can get them into close combat there is very little in the 40k world that can stop them. I have used Curze a couple times and he stomps other units in close combat and he is fast enough to get there. I run him with a command squad with jump packs.

Lorgar can't choose Biomancy powers. Also bear in mind that the psychic power options in 30k are (apparently) changing in book five, so watch out for that.

To give a general answer about Primarchs - too damn right they're useful.

I would say yes they are useful low choices. Unlike almost every other low choice they don't just have killing power they buff your entire army. For example with lorgar you will never have to worry about leadership tests ever again. Also lorgar has in my opinion the best durability. I mean sure he can't get hit by lascannons and walk off like it was nothing like Vulkan. But with invisibility those lascannons won't even touch you.

Archived