Contemptor mortis vs sicaran....

Fangbanger

Hey guys

Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on the reason in choosing a contemptor with khers (as seems to be a popular build) over a sicaran? From what I can see, the sicaran has a better ranged, higher strength twin linked weapon that avoids jink on a mount with higher rear and side armour for less points?

What's more is you can add another 2 heavy bolters for the same price as the dread.

What am I missing....? (Apart from the model looking freakin awesome!)

I guess the other consideration is the number of FOC slots it takes up.  Just check out the plethora of goodies in the 30k rulebooks for Heavy Support units and you'll see why a C-Mortis might fill the gap.  On the flip side, if you have a more troop oriented list and go elite heavy, you might not have room for those walkers.  I opted to purchase both :)

...Then came the Deredeo.

The contemptor can be alright if you are taking say terror assualt row with one havy support skit and you need anti tank. I don't have my book yet but can regular contemptor take twin kheres?

That is an option for them, yes. They lose out on the AA abilities of the Mortis in the process, though.

Kheres; takes on Infantry. 12 BS5 Shots wounding on 2's with Rend = 1~2 AP2 wounds and 8-9 standard wounds. Thats about 5 dead marines. Throw on a Havoc, and it's maybe another dead marine/turn. Small anti-flier capability.

Sicaran; takes on light vehicles; 6 TL S7 shots = ~1 rend maybe, and 4 other wounds; that's about 2-3 dead marines. Throw on Heavy Bolters... maybe 4 hits, 3 wounds, maybe 1 more dead. Problem is; you've got 6 shots with AP4. Sure, they ignore cover. But unless you're facing Land Speeders, you're still up against 3+ and 2+ saves from Outriders and Scimitars. So you ignore cover and maybe kill 1 model a turn outright (whoo! yeh... no).

Deredeo; takes on light, medium vehicles and flyers or Terminators+marines at medium-long range, and an Aiolos launcher gives you 2.5 dead marines/turn. That in itself outclasses a Sicaran nearly. Throw on the damage from the Plasma and you mince through most things on the ground, the Autocannons just melt armoured targets and shut down enemy flyers even if they jink.

A mortis dread  Kheres  is a bad idea. Kheres are range 24. Unless your opponent flies strait into you, he can avoid you fairly well and still threaten your junk.

The strength of the sicaran is that it is a jack of all trade. With lascannon sponson, it can do any job fairly well, without having to specialize like a Deredeo or dreadnought.

When it comes down to building all comers lists, the Sicaran reigns king for me at this time, the deredeo might surpass him with more playtesting, but that is to be seen.

Sicaran; takes on light vehicles; 6 TL S7 shots = ~1 rend maybe, and 4 other wounds; that's about 2-3 dead marines. Throw on Heavy Bolters... maybe 4 hits, 3 wounds, maybe 1 more dead. Problem is; you've got 6 shots with AP4. Sure, they ignore cover. But unless you're facing Land Speeders, you're still up against 3+ and 2+ saves from Outriders and Scimitars. So you ignore cover and maybe kill 1 model a turn outright (whoo! yeh... no).

The Sicaran would have 9 HB shots, remember the little nose gun. Not a massive difference maker, but hey, free gun.

Archived