Skitarii Transport Options

Dom_

I've been looking today at possible transports for skitarii. It needs to be something fast ideally, or tough enough to keep them safe for 2 turns while they advance.

Most of us have thought of drop pods, especially for haywire wielding Vanguard units. This is probably the most likely option. However, I really don't like drop pods as a model. They look great, but I hate building them, and I hate painting them. No thanks.

Another option are rhinos/razorbacks. Problem with these are they aren't particularly fast, or tough. Also, I'm not too keen on getting yet more rhinos (since they would have to be painted to match my Skitarii).

Chimeras are another option. Problem with these are they are only available as dedicated transports for any codex they appear in, which brings in the increased troop tax. Also, they would have to start the game outside, and embark on turn 1. Not a problem if I go first, but if I don't then they could suffer outside their transports with no option for return fire. This would be the cheapest route though, as you could have as many 3 man acolyte inquisition units as you want to get the chimeras. Or even servitor units for added fluff.

The final option I can see would be to have a CAD of Militarum Tempestus, with a cheap Commissar, 2 small scion squads, who can always deep strike themselves, and up to 3 taurox primes. I do like the look of this option. The taurox prime is a fast vehicle, and has plenty of fire points. However, with a decent configuration of weapons, its pushing 100 points. And with only AV 11/10/10, it just doesn't seem worth it at all.

So what do you all think is a good option? Or is there a route I haven't seen. Ideally I want either a cheap option to take transports, or where the units I'm taking them from wouldn't need them anyway.

I've been thinking of using the Boring Machine from Ramshackle as Termites, counting as Drop Pods. It would have the same effect, but would be a more interesting and very fluffy execution.

Ive seen them and they do look great. But as I play in my GW a lot, and they only allow citadel models only, I'd want something from GW or FW. And I'd still have the pretty pricey HQ/troop tax.

What about BA?

They have fast transports, scouts are cheap and the HQ can be tooled up to whatever you need.

Huh, I didn't think of that. That's certainly a possibility, thanks.

I've been thinking of using the Boring Machine from Ramshackle as Termites, counting as Drop Pods. It would have the same effect, but would be a more interesting and very fluffy execution.

Ive seen them and they do look great. But as I play in my GW a lot, and they only allow citadel models only, I'd want something from GW or FW. And I'd still have the pretty pricey HQ/troop tax.

I wonder how much modification would be needed to make a Drop Pod into a "Sprout Pod"?

Or simply a one-time "Teleport Pod"?

a tele-pad would be cool and easy to make, so I think it could be doable. just not put on the top part and use the "starfish" portion to put it down. 

I'm thinking some land raiders for rust stalker use could be fun too.

Argus Lighters or heavily-converted Valykrie Sky Talons from Forge World would also fit in nicely.  The latter is a bit too sleek for my tastes, but some modifications of the wings and tail could yield a suitably boxy heavy lifter.

Archived