Help with 1500pt list

JBugman

Gentlemen

I'm having trouble getting back into WH40k and the Imperial Guard and would like your opinion of my 1500 point list:

Command Platoon w/LasCannon, Grenade launcher & Chimera

Armoured Fist/Veterans w/Chimera & 3 Meltaguns

Infantry Platoon
 Command Squad w/AutoCannon & Grenade Launcher
 Infantry Squad w/Missile Launcher (Combined with Squad below)
 Infantry Squad w/AutoCannon
 Infantry Squad w/AutoCannon (Combined with Squad below)
 Heavy Weapons Squad w/LasCannons

Infantry Platoon

Leman Russ BT w/Heavy Bolters

Demolisher BT w/LasCannon and Plasma Cannons

Hellhound Tank w/Heavy Bolter

This is a bit over points but I'm looking for any glaring problems.  The first thing I think about is the whether or not the Combined Squads should be larger?

Any suggestions would be helpful and thanks in advance!

Both your Leman Russ are ordinance weapons which means your sponsons and hull mounted weapons will be snap shooting. Maybe look at a Vanquisher or Eradicator? What will you be facing? I'm not seeing any anti-air as well.

I think the first platoon is enough. I would replace the second platoon with another Vet unit in Chimera.

I would also never put additional weapons on Demolisher and BT since those are ordnance tanks and the other weapons would need to snap fire.

If you want tanks with extra weapons, I would look at the other ones and equip them for one job.

Also, maybe Grenadier Doctrine on Vets.

Welcome to the Imperial Guard, the commissar will probably be around momentarily to move this to the army list section.

Command Platoon w/LasCannon, Grenade launcher & Chimera

Avoid mix and matching weapons with cross purposes. Go with one or the other.

Armoured Fist/Veterans w/Chimera & 3 Meltaguns

A solid unit that should serve you well

Infantry Platoon
 Infantry Squad w/AutoCannon (Combined with Squad below)

If these are blobing together, consider a commissar for one squad and, maybe, vox for on and the command.
 Heavy Weapons Squad w/LasCannons

I am not a fan because of how soft they are but others love them.

Infantry Platoon

Again, weapons with cross purposes. Consider making one the other. Flak missiles might not be a bad idea since you have only a bit on AA.

Leman Russ BT w/Heavy Bolters

Ditch the sponsons, you'll be snap firing them most of the time.

Demolisher BT w/LasCannon and Plasma Cannons

I love that old model but those options are categorically a waste of points. Dip it in Simple Green for a month and don't reattach the sponsons. Just a heavy bolter on the front.

Hellhound Tank w/Heavy Bolter

A great support vehicles. Move it with your veterans. Consider any of the other hull weapons.

This is a bit over points but I'm looking for any glaring problems.  The first thing I think about is the whether or not the Combined Squads should be larger?

The size of your combined squads is fine, consider not even combining in some situations.

Any suggestions would be helpful and thanks in advance!

I have only one other suggestion, get an Aegis Defense Line. It will greatly help the survivability of your infantry. If you get the number of models required, consider a conscript blob with a priest attached.

Thanks for the input, folks.  Sorry that I wasn't aware of the forum section for list only.  And none of my vehicles are magnetized so I'll try that when/if I make more.  And I'll consider the Hydra/Anti-AA tank since almost everyone I've played has a flyer. /unhappy

Thanks for the input, folks.  Sorry that I wasn't aware of the forum section for list only.  And none of my vehicles are magnetized so I'll try that when/if I make more.  And I'll consider the Hydra/Anti-AA tank since almost everyone I've played has a flyer. /unhappy

Quad gun with Aegis Defense Line. It's the American Express card of IG. Never leave home without it.

Quad gun with Aegis Defense Line. It's the American Express card of IG. Never leave home without it.

ROFL!  

I love the snappy quote...but since I follow "death before dismount," I have no use for the ADL itself...I'd rather have two vengeance weapon batteries with quad icarus.  

ROFL!  

I love the snappy quote...but since I follow "death before dismount," I have no use for the ADL itself...I'd rather have two vengeance weapon batteries with quad icarus.  

Now March, you better than that. Trying to call this old Treadhead out like that. I still use my ADL. Just a little something for my arty to sit behind.  ;)

Thanks for the input, folks. Sorry that I wasn't aware of the forum section for list only. And none of my vehicles are magnetized so I'll try that when/if I make more. And I'll consider the Hydra/Anti-AA tank since almost everyone I've played has a flyer. /unhappy

ROFL!

Now March, you better than that. Trying to call this old Treadhead out like that. I still use my ADL. Just a little something for my arty to sit behind. msn-wink.gif

LOL agreed. I would park my madusa in some terrain with some cammo nets and an ADL and watch the rage when I make all my 4+ cover saves LOL

Well...since the obscuring element has to cover 25% of the vehicle from the firer's perspective, pretty much nothing taller than infantry is going to be bothered by an ADL in front of your vehicle...or else I'd be doing the same thing! ground vehicles like enemy IG tanks would be arguable, but there's no doubt that skimmers, monstrous creatures, fliers, walkers, actually most things that are taller than a man, can see over the ADL just fine!

Well...since the obscuring element has to cover 25% of the vehicle from the firer's perspective, pretty much nothing taller than infantry is going to be bothered by an ADL in front of your vehicle...or else I'd be doing the same thing! ground vehicles like enemy IG tanks would be arguable, but there's no doubt that skimmers, monstrous creatures, fliers, walkers, actually most things that are taller than a man, can see over the ADL just fine!

But the rules for ADL say that it adds a +1 to cover saves. Which, at least, for the people I play with seems to supercede the 25% obscured rule.

What about mobility for reaching those Tactical Objectives?  The Command Chimera just functions as additional firepower for the Command Squad which leaves the Veterans and Hellhound and an Infantry Blob or two.  I had some Sentinels, but they were dumped to get to 1500 points.

@Chefzilla: I don't see where Objective Secured is referenced, can you point out where it is?  And is it worthwhile to drive the Company Command Squad go objective hunting or do I just send the Chimera (still a bit fuzzy on the rules, sorry)?

And after rereading the codex I realized that I can use the one Scion/Stormtrooper squad I have instead of scrambling to buy more models!

I'm trying to remember where it is as well but any troop choice has Objective Secured. Meaning that if you take Armored Battlegroup, which makes you tanks a troop choice, those tanks have objective secured.

Objective Secured is referenced on pp. 567 and 569 of the iBooks version of the main rulebook. Under the heading "Command Benefits" on both. Now on iBooks you can click on a popout link that gives you the rules for what "Objective Secured" does, I'm not sure where in the rulebook proper those rules can be found.

It's in the Chapter "Preparing for Battle".

Archived