Alternative Chimera Model

Gunmonkey88

As I've never really liked the look of the Chimera, and wheeled APCs fit my regiment's fluff better than tracked, I've been looking at finding a modern 8x8 and kit bashing it until it looks 40k-ish enough. Of those available, I like the look of the Soviet/Russian BTR the best. My current plan is to replace the turret that comes with the kit with one from a chimera and mount the heavy bolter on the pintle above it, using it only on the front arc so it shouldn't be a problem and will remain WYSIWYG. Three questions:

1. I'm looking at using the BTR-80 from Empress Miniatures, does anyone have any experience with them?

2. From what I understand, the dimensions are pretty similar to the chimera. With that in mind, would anyone (other than GW) have any problem playing against them?

3. How successful have people been using proxies (is that the right word?) like this in games?

Thanks for the input!

People have used the BTR for Chimera counts-as models before, it works well due to the shape so it's just a matter of the right scale. There are a variety of different models for it though so without any scaling information it will be hard to tell. It looks a bit small from the picture but there is little to go by.

Most people don't mind counts-as like this, but don't forget to 40k them up nicely so they fit in more. That goes a long way to making them both look better and be more acceptable to the less inclined :)

I wouldn't mind playing against or with that. It's all up to whether your opponent is alright with the idea of third party. In my old group, there was a guy with a whole IG army that was from some other company. His infantry were, the tanks were GW. None of us cared as it was all painted nicely and that's what he could afford. Can;t really blame someone for their budget or aesthetic taste smile.png.

That Eisenkern APC looks fantastic, I've been watching that line for a while and I love it but it never really fit the feel I was going for with armies I've done in the past. Just looking at it again though, I might grab a box of the infantry accessories to model on my vets, maybe see if the arms match up with the cadian torsos and legs I'm using? I appealed to the oracle to see what historical precedent there is googled it but couldn't find anything. They're slightly larger though so I'm not holding out too much hope lol. That vehicle looks really massive though, I like the idea of using it instead of a Taurox.

I actually have looked at the Chapterhouse conversion set but I donn't really like the look of the finished model, something is just off about it. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Archived